7D mark II with a broken built in flash

sama

EOS RP
Feb 23, 2012
256
1
Just a few minutes ago, I put everything back into the camera flash. Made a little adjustment to the length of the tab. ( I made a new tab and used JB weld to glue it on.)

Now, my 7DII is back to it's original shape and function. Will see if the glue is strong enough to hold the tab for a period of time.

Very happy for this DIY success. May be it's time to celebrate and have a zip of my Coke Zero. Hahaha

Thanks everybody.
 

Attachments

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
4,201
166
52
Isle of Wight
Hi Sama.
Ok now I understand, you feel equally or more responsible for the damage, get that.
It is a great feeling to fix things yourself like that, and I really get that too, but I would be concerned that the pop up flash would ‘popup’ when least desirable and that little conductive tab will be down in with the flash capacitor (or some other equally vulnerable electronics!) and for the small cost of the flash that PBD found on eBay I don’t think the risk is worth it, I would have been more ok with the risk at Canon repair costs approaching 50% of the camera value!
Who knows you might even be able to sell the leftover bits to someone with a different broken bit! :)

Cheers, Graham.

sama said:
Just a few minutes ago, I put everything back into the camera flash. Made a little adjustment to the length of the tab. ( I made a new tab and used JB weld to glue it on.)

Now, my 7DII is back to it's original shape and function. Will see if the glue is strong enough to hold the tab for a period of time.

Very happy for this DIY success. May be it's time to celebrate and have a zip of my Coke Zero. Hahaha

Thanks everybody.
 

sama

EOS RP
Feb 23, 2012
256
1
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It may hold up forever. Just avoid using the oin camera flash and use a external one.
I test it 30 times - pop up and press down. So far no problem.

External flash has more power. Yeah.
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,094
1,574
Canada
sama said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It may hold up forever. Just avoid using the oin camera flash and use a external one.
I test it 30 times - pop up and press down. So far no problem.

External flash has more power. Yeah.
Personally, I found the 7D2 flash to be terrible.... except when I forget my “real” flash, when it suddenly becomes very useful
 

sama

EOS RP
Feb 23, 2012
256
1
Don Haines said:
sama said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It may hold up forever. Just avoid using the oin camera flash and use a external one.
I test it 30 times - pop up and press down. So far no problem.

External flash has more power. Yeah.
Personally, I found the 7D2 flash to be terrible.... except when I forget my “real” flash, when it suddenly becomes very useful

I guess all built in flashes, due to their power and effective range, have only limited uses. But, they are good for use as fill-flashes or as flash commanders.
 

sama

EOS RP
Feb 23, 2012
256
1
Update : ordered the built in flash replacement part off eBay. The tab of this replacement part was bent. I don't want to break it so I just try installing it on the camera but the flash won't close tightly.

I found some copper parts in the bin and cut a piece to add height to the tab. It works okay. However, I worried that the glue won't last and the glued copper will come off one day..

I then use a piece of steel which I have disassembled from a transformer to hand made the part. It's isn't easy for me. The metal is hard to grind down. Drilling and adjustment of angles take me some hours. Finally, the task is done. It is a whole piece now and I don't have to worry about loose part flying off. It fits perfectly and it seems to be very sturdy to hold the flash in place.

That's some joy of successful DIY. And of course this saves me hundreds to send it to Canon to replace the whole top plate assembly.
 

Attachments

magarity

EOS 80D
Feb 14, 2017
159
67
If you ever travel to SE Asia, especially China, repairs are super cheap. The local Canon repair in the US told me to just buy a new zoom since the little ribbon cable inside had broken but in China the repair was under $20.