7D mark II with a broken built in flash

Feb 23, 2012
My friend used my 7DII on a tripod and it fell off. The built-in flash popped up during the accident and cannot be closed completely.

I opened up the camera flash cover (just 4 tiny screws), pressed down the flash and found that the blockage to complete closing up of the flash was due to a deformed tab which was a tiny tongue from a metal part mounted to the left side of the flash. I tried to adjust it a bit but it broke off.

I have several choices :

1. Send it to Canon for repair. The cost will be around $300 (flat rate) plus;
2. Find and buy the part and install it to see if it works. I have no idea where to find the product code. Appreciate if anybody can help. I called Canon in Mississauga, they need me to be specific or to send the camera in;
3. Just close and tape the built in flash and don't use it. For fill flash use the tiny one for M;
4. Use an elastic band and a cold shoe adapter to keep the flash closed and to remove the band when I have to (I don't really) use the built in flash. But that looks ugly.

I have tested the camera with several lenses and can't see any problem so far. So, I think I will try to find the part first. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• 7D2 flash broken.jpg
    7D2 flash broken.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 520
  • metal part.jpg
    metal part.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 533
  • broken tab.jpg
    broken tab.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 531
Feb 23, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sama.
Seems like the specifics you give here via pictures should be sufficient for Canon Mississauga to identify the part if they are allowed.

Cheers, Graham.

Dear Graham,

I am a low tech guy. Just discovered that I can live chat with Canon. it's a lot easier. I provide them details and the feedback is that I can only buy the whole top assembly including the flash and not parts for the flash. It costs Cad 205.38 plus tax and shipping. Now, there is no more flat rate like before for a lot of cameras and lenses. The estimate labor for replacing the top assembly is Cad 260 (estimated) So everything adding up is about Cad 500.

I will find a way or to do without the flash.

I tried to solder a tongue (tab) but discovered that soldering aluminum is impossible. I used instant glue and will see if it works.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
sama said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sama.
Seems like the specifics you give here via pictures should be sufficient for Canon Mississauga to identify the part if they are allowed.

Cheers, Graham.

Dear Graham,

I am a low tech guy. Just discovered that I can live chat with Canon. it's a lot easier. I provide them details and the feedback is that I can only buy the whole top assembly including the flash and not parts for the flash. It costs Cad 205.38 plus tax and shipping. Now, there is no more flat rate like before for a lot of cameras and lenses. The estimate labor for replacing the top assembly is Cad 260 (estimated) So everything adding up is about Cad 500.

I tried to solder a tongue (tab) but discovered that soldering aluminum is impossible. I used instant glue and will see if it works.
how patient are you?

you could try to make a replacement part out of steel... lots of filing though....

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
sama said:
Sporgon said:
Hate pop-up flashes. Snapped one off a D200 years ago.

Good to see Nikon had the sense to leave it off the D500

Agreed. May be I should do without it.

Apologies, my reply wasn't really very helpful. The problem is that it will devalue your camera significantly when / if you decide to sell. I presume the depth of your friend's friendship doesn't reach to paying Canon to fix it ?

If you find an engineers who works with small delicate things you may find someone who could braze it for you. Then just don't use it unnecessarily.

You never know, this may nudge you into buying a Speedlite that has a tilting swivel head and then you'll find out how useful and subtle on camera flash can actually be !

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
sama said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sama.

Cheers, Graham.

Dear Graham,

you can weld aluminum, an option might be to get someone to put a blob of weld where the tab used to be, and then filing down to the shape required....

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Don Haines said:
sama said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sama.

Cheers, Graham.

Dear Graham,

how patient are you?

you could try to make a replacement part out of steel... lots of filing though....

Yes I used a dremel tool and a small cut of steel sheet. Instant glue. And now I have this.

Waiting for it to dry and bond. Not sure if it is sturdy enough.

Actually, it's a lot of fun DIY repair. This winter I have broken several vintage lenses and a Minolta film camera. Now, I have a lot of screws, glasses, gears and useless parts. Still learning to put the helicoids back.

Digital things are more complicated. Even if it is just a tab here, if it is not right and get stuck, you will get an error message on your camera. So without the flash may be a good thing.

Attachments

• capture-20180309-170557.png
    capture-20180309-170557.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
lion rock said:
Do not use cyanoacrylate glue! It gives off fumes when curing. You don't want to the fumes to deposit near any optics. Besides, super glue do not give strength to shearing.
-r

Thanks for your info. It's quite true that super glue may be harmful. It's just experimental and I will not use the DIY part permanently.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
privatebydesign said:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-FLASH-LAMP-REPAIR-PART/273085347639?hash=item3f9527b737:g:yGgAAOSwAKxWVfpL

That's quite handy. Thanks.

I have noticed this one just minutes before your posting. I will look into it definitely.

I really like people in this forum. Very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Thanks again to you all.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Sporgon said:
sama said:
Sporgon said:
Hate pop-up flashes. Snapped one off a D200 years ago.

Good to see Nikon had the sense to leave it off the D500

Agreed. May be I should do without it.

Apologies, my reply wasn't really very helpful. The problem is that it will devalue your camera significantly when / if you decide to sell. I presume the depth of your friend's friendship doesn't reach to paying Canon to fix it ?

If you find an engineers who works with small delicate things you may find someone who could braze it for you. Then just don't use it unnecessarily.

You never know, this may nudge you into buying a Speedlite that has a tilting swivel head and then you'll find out how useful and subtle on camera flash can actually be !

No need to apologize. I don't like built in flash also. Sharing idea and feeling and taking a few minutes of your time reply to posts is already some support.

BTW, the friendship is over half a century. The camera is mine and my good friend suggested to pay for the repair but I refused. It's an accident.

I posted this thread to share DIY fun and invite ideas. So far I enjoy reading replies and appreciate contribution.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'd check ebay, you can often find parts for a fraction of new price.

Here is what appears to be the entire top cover of a 7D MK II including the flash.

If interested, ask specifically about the flash, the photo is not the actual part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/used-90-Top-Cover-parts-Canon-EOS-7D-mark-II/172510423990?hash=item282a6c2bb6:g:-0gAAOSw4DJYkX47

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd check ebay, you can often find parts for a fraction of new price.

Here is what appears to be the entire top cover of a 7D MK II including the flash.

If interested, ask specifically about the flash, the photo is not the actual part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/used-90-Top-Cover-parts-Canon-EOS-7D-mark-II/172510423990?hash=item282a6c2bb6:g:-0gAAOSw4DJYkX47

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sama.
That sounds like a very good friendship, but perhaps you should allow your friend the honour of paying if he offers again, unless there is some strong underlying reason why he shouldn’t, like he really cannot afford it and you really can afford it! That way he can ask to borrow something (perhaps the 7DII) in the future without feeling embarrassment, especially if it is only the 30bucks part from eBay!

Cheers, Graham

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sama.
That sounds like a very good friendship, but perhaps you should allow your friend the honour of paying if he offers again, unless there is some strong underlying reason why he shouldn’t, like he really cannot afford it and you really can afford it! That way he can ask to borrow something (perhaps the 7DII) in the future without feeling embarrassment, especially if it is only the 30bucks part from eBay!

Cheers, Graham

Dear Graham,

You may be right. If anyone borrow to use my gears and broke them, they will definitely have to be responsible for the damages caused by their carelessness or whatever.

Sorry that I did not go into details about the situation. My friend was just playing with my camera set up taking a few shots. He is not even a keen shooter. He may have kicked the tripod and causing the accident. I am fully responsible for not adding weight to the tripod to stabilize it. I don't blame him.

I am not very generous and I rarely allow people to borrow my gears.

Cheers

Upvote 0