7D mark II with a broken built in flash

Feb 23, 2012
Just a few minutes ago, I put everything back into the camera flash. Made a little adjustment to the length of the tab. ( I made a new tab and used JB weld to glue it on.)

Now, my 7DII is back to it's original shape and function. Will see if the glue is strong enough to hold the tab for a period of time.

Very happy for this DIY success. May be it's time to celebrate and have a zip of my Coke Zero. Hahaha

Thanks everybody.

Attachments

• capture-20180309-230622.png
    capture-20180309-230622.png
    497.9 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sama.
Ok now I understand, you feel equally or more responsible for the damage, get that.
It is a great feeling to fix things yourself like that, and I really get that too, but I would be concerned that the pop up flash would ‘popup’ when least desirable and that little conductive tab will be down in with the flash capacitor (or some other equally vulnerable electronics!) and for the small cost of the flash that PBD found on eBay I don’t think the risk is worth it, I would have been more ok with the risk at Canon repair costs approaching 50% of the camera value!
Who knows you might even be able to sell the leftover bits to someone with a different broken bit! :)

Cheers, Graham.

sama said:
Just a few minutes ago, I put everything back into the camera flash. Made a little adjustment to the length of the tab. ( I made a new tab and used JB weld to glue it on.)

Now, my 7DII is back to it's original shape and function. Will see if the glue is strong enough to hold the tab for a period of time.

Very happy for this DIY success. May be it's time to celebrate and have a zip of my Coke Zero. Hahaha

Thanks everybody.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
sama said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It may hold up forever. Just avoid using the oin camera flash and use a external one.

I test it 30 times - pop up and press down. So far no problem.

External flash has more power. Yeah.

Personally, I found the 7D2 flash to be terrible.... except when I forget my “real” flash, when it suddenly becomes very useful

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Don Haines said:
sama said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It may hold up forever. Just avoid using the oin camera flash and use a external one.

I test it 30 times - pop up and press down. So far no problem.

External flash has more power. Yeah.

Personally, I found the 7D2 flash to be terrible.... except when I forget my “real” flash, when it suddenly becomes very useful

I guess all built in flashes, due to their power and effective range, have only limited uses. But, they are good for use as fill-flashes or as flash commanders.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
Update : ordered the built in flash replacement part off eBay. The tab of this replacement part was bent. I don't want to break it so I just try installing it on the camera but the flash won't close tightly.

I found some copper parts in the bin and cut a piece to add height to the tab. It works okay. However, I worried that the glue won't last and the glued copper will come off one day..

I then use a piece of steel which I have disassembled from a transformer to hand made the part. It's isn't easy for me. The metal is hard to grind down. Drilling and adjustment of angles take me some hours. Finally, the task is done. It is a whole piece now and I don't have to worry about loose part flying off. It fits perfectly and it seems to be very sturdy to hold the flash in place.

That's some joy of successful DIY. And of course this saves me hundreds to send it to Canon to replace the whole top plate assembly.

Attachments

• 7D2 part replacement.jpg
    7D2 part replacement.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 0