7d mk2 seems very soft?

Mar 2, 2012
I don't have the 7Dii but with my 7D and 5Diii I've noticed that the default sharpness settings are lower than I would normally use. I suggest you shoot some RAW files and use DPP to convert to jpg.
If it still looks soft, check your MFA.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I can't open the raw files in DPP. Never used it before and the tutorials for it are for a previous version. In any event the raw files are locked.

Upvote 0
junco800.jpg

This is an example of a in camera jpg. The feather detail is simply not there.

Attachments

• junco 800.jpg
    junco 800.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 523
Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2013
coreyhkh said:
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't no if its just me but the images all seem rather soft to the point where it covers up alot of details.
Yes, I have had the same problem. Your post pretty much sums up my view on the 7D2. Before it was released, I thought the test shots that I saw were a little soft. Once I used it, my views did not change. I like everything about the camera but the image quality. It looks like the 5D3 is going to continue being my go-to camera, including for wildlife.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
westr70 said:
This is an example of a in camera jpg. The feather detail is simply not there.

I agree that something is not right in that image.

DPP should work fine with raw images, its pretty self explanatory. You can just use it as a raw converter, and export files as tiff into lightroom or photoshop. The raw files are compressed tiff images, with the camera settings added, so there is no loss to send them to Lightroom.

I believe the 7D MK II also has in camera RAW editing, which may avoid some of the over processing done for standard jpegs.

So far, the images I've seen online look pretty comparable to other APS cameras, except that some brands do boost NR, colors, contrast, etc and that appeals to many coming from P&S bodies.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
DPP should work fine with raw images, its pretty self explanatory. You can just use it as a raw converter, and export files as tiff into lightroom or photoshop. The raw files are compressed tiff images, with the camera settings added, so there is no loss to send them to Lightroom.
You can do this with the new version of DPP. All of my 7D2 shots have been RAWs converted to TIFF via DPP.

Upvote 0
I only went out and shot with my 7dii for about an hour along with the Tamron 150-600mm. Thoughts are welcome on the results.

For some reason I am not able to attach images so here are links to a few of the shots I got. They were processed only in DPP.

This close up of a kinglet is about 10 or 15% of the original image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15521074278/

Here is one of the first shots I took with the camera

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15520959878/in/photostream/

And a junco as well. Light was harsh on this and the whites were a bit washed out. So I lowered the contrast and highlights as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15087232113/in/photostream/

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
rpt said:
Silly question, but did you AFMA the lens? If you did, does shooting at twice the shutter speed you shot the picture earlier that was soft sort the issue? Is it soft when shooting from a stable tripod?

That would be my guess, the entire bird seems a bit OOF.

Testing with manual focus in 10x live view might be a good way to test if it's body or AF.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Botts said:
rpt said:
Silly question, but did you AFMA the lens? If you did, does shooting at twice the shutter speed you shot the picture earlier that was soft sort the issue? Is it soft when shooting from a stable tripod?

That would be my guess, the entire bird seems a bit OOF.

Testing with manual focus in 10x live view might be a good way to test if it's body or AF.
Also if live view on stand focuses better than the normal AF, you need to AFMA.

Upvote 0