7d mk2 seems very soft?

coreyhkh said:
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't no if its just me but the images all seem rather soft to the point where it covers up alot of details.

This is a shame as everything else about the camera is great.

are you using in cam jpgs with default settings? in cam jpgs are waxy from Canon, even with NR off they do too much mushing never mind with NR set to default

Upvote 0
Canon_Shooter said:
Is it a NO NO to directly to light room , should one goto DPP then LIGHTROOM for best noise and COLOR

DPP does too much mushy NR for my taste, especially in shadows and areas of low contrast and the de-bayer and debayer sharpening seem a little weak to me, at least the last time I tried it, a while ago

Upvote 0
Okay, I have resolved my DPP issue. I had been using the most recent version 4.0.1.0 and that didn't seem to work. I installed the one I got with the camera and that worked just fine. The resulting test pictures (raw) out of the camera were great once they were converted to TIFF and then to LR and then to PS. Attached image is unmodified except for the various transitions. This is a 100 percent crop but reduced to 800 px. The head is OOF but the feather detail is excellent. I'm happy. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.
birdexample1800.jpg

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
westr70 said:
Okay, I have resolved my DPP issue. I had been using the most recent version 4.0.1.0 and that didn't seem to work. I installed the one I got with the camera and that worked just fine. The resulting test pictures (raw) out of the camera were great once they were converted to TIFF and then to LR and then to PS. Attached image is unmodified except for the various transitions. This is a 100 percent crop but reduced to 800 px. The head is OOF but the feather detail is excellent. I'm happy. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.
birdexample1800.jpg
Nice. So I am guessing that there was no difference between Live View and normal AF as you shoot through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
westr70 said:
birdexample1800.jpg

westr70, can you tell me which version of DPP came with the camera?

Thanks
Sue

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
westr70 said:
westr70, can you tell me which version of DPP came with the camera?

Thanks
Sue

It is 3.14.40.0. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks, I just picked up my 7D MKII, have not had anytime to play. On my way to shoot a four day hockey tournament, so when I get back, I will try both versions...DPP 4.0.1 and DPP 3.14.4

Thanks again
Sue

Upvote 0

luckydude

1dxII, 5DIII, 7DII, lots of glass, tolerant wife
Aug 3, 2013
coreyhkh said:
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't no if its just me but the images all seem rather soft to the point where it covers up alot of details.

This is a shame as everything else about the camera is great.

Hi Corey, are you the same Corey that posted a night shot taken from Mt Shasta on Reddit a while back? If so, nice shot!

I've got the original 7D and the 5DIII. I hated the 7D after I got the 5D, it was way soft. But I played around with the in camera settings and found that the 7D wasn't sharpening as much as the 5D when shooting jpegs (which I do exclusively; I know, I know, but that's how I roll).

I liked the 7D quite a bit better after upping the sharpening.

The bluejay shot is stunning in the detail it captured. Do you have the 600 f4 II? I'd be interested to see what that can do; there are some bird people who coaxed some pretty nice shouts out of that and the 7D.

What was the post processing on the bluejay?

And curse you! I might have to get a 7DII now :)

Upvote 0

luckydude

1dxII, 5DIII, 7DII, lots of glass, tolerant wife
Aug 3, 2013
Raptors said:
Thanks, I just picked up my 7D MKII, have not had anytime to play. On my way to shoot a four day hockey tournament, so when I get back, I will try both versions...DPP 4.0.1 and DPP 3.14.4

Thanks again
Sue

Hey Sue,

I'd be interested to hear how you like the 7DII after the hockey shoot. I shoot roller hockey indoors and I used to use the 7DI but my goto setup is the 5DIII & the 200mm f2. If the 7DII does significantly better than the 7D at higher ISO then I could go with the 7DII & the 70-200mm 2.8 which is a little more flexible than the prime.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
luckydude said:
I hated the 7D after I got the 5D, it was way soft.

I never got a decent image from my 7DI ... and everyone told me it was because it was "too much camera" for me. :p

I'd take a 40D, 50D, 60D, 6D, and any 5D over a 7DI, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. There are people who swear by theirs; I just happen to think those people have poor vision. :)

Upvote 0

cnardo

5D3, 7D2
May 17, 2012
Santa Barbara
I've got the original 7D and the 5DIII. I hated the 7D after I got the 5D, it was way soft. But I played around with the in camera settings and found that the 7D wasn't sharpening as much as the 5D when shooting jpegs (which I do exclusively; I know, I know, but that's how I roll).

I liked the 7D quite a bit better after upping the sharpening.
Hey....Luckydude
.... exactly what did you do to the settings to up the sharpening????
Thanks.

Upvote 0
justsomedude said:
luckydude said:
I hated the 7D after I got the 5D, it was way soft.

I never got a decent image from my 7DI ... and everyone told me it was because it was "too much camera" for me. :p

I'd take a 40D, 50D, 60D, 6D, and any 5D over a 7DI, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. There are people who swear by theirs; I just happen to think those people have poor vision. :)

It's not a 1DX but it's a lot cheaper. My lousy 7D1 and cheap 100-400L (never AFMA'd) operated by an amateur without tripod still managed to take many amazing and sharp photos of tiny birds.

Now, where did I leave my glasses? ;D

Upvote 0