7D2 or 5D3?

Wait for Canon 7D2 or move on Canon 5D3?

• 7D2

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • 5D3

Votes: 48 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an amateur photographer that spends most of my free time trying to shoot wildlife... I currently have a 50D that I use primarily with a 400mm F5.6L lens, but will on occassion also go to 70-200 F2.8L

I have been waiting for the new Canon 7D2 to come out later this year, thinking that for my purposes it would make the most sense to stay with an APS-C sensor... but the more I read about the 5D3, the more I question if I should not act now...

Typically i find with the pictures I take, i will shoot nothing over ISO400 as i find the noise too much with the 50D.... and i am sure that with either the 7D2 or 5D3 - i would have much more range in terms of ISO...

In terms of cropping, I will often crop a photo to no more than 50%, as i find going more than that will affect the quality of the photo... again, I believe that with either of the 7D2 or 5D3, i would like be able to crop to a higher percentage...

I guess my big concern is that shooting with an APS-C camera and 400mm lens, that going to the 5D3, will not allow me to crop in to as tight a shot as I am currently doing....

And help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Jul 21, 2010
Tough decision to make before a 7DII is announced. Even then, there's no guarantee the high ISO performance for RAW shooting will be significantly improved. I preferred to keep my 7D at ISO 800 or lower. I prefer to keep my 1D X (and the 5DIII would be the same) at ISO 6400 or lower. A 7DII might add a stop, but almost certainly not three.

As for cropping, what's your output? If printing large, more pixels on target helps, so APS-C is an advantage at low ISO. If printing small (12x18 for example) or for web, etc., cropped FF is equivalent at low ISO, better at high ISO.

Upvote 0
As a 7Dii doesn't exist then it shouldn't come into the equation.

Does your 50D do the job? = don't need a new camera

Do you need a new camera right now? = 7D for extra 400iso points or 5D for the grandure as they both exist.

Do you want to wait for the newest bestest crop sensor from canon? = wait to see what the 7Dii has to offer

I'd buy a 2nd hand 7D body in your position though and wait for the future to come at its own pace.

(I did plunge for the 5Diii when I had a 7D though mainly for shallower DoF and higher ISO when working in-doors)

Upvote 0
I would absolutely go with the 5D3 (I have this camera). There are more benefits to using a full frame; better bokah, usually higher resolution, usable images up to ISO 12800/25600 - allowing you to maximize your shutter speed. If you can find a deal, I would buy the 5D3 and the Canon 1.4x Extender II (approx $200), you'll loose 1 stop of light with the extender, but it is usually ok to boost your ISO by a stop if you're shooting a 5D3. You'll also gain quality in your out of focus blur/bokah on a full frame vs a cropped sensor camera.

As far as the 7D2... I'm hearing a lot of things about this camera, but you may not know any of the true specs until later this year. I'm expecting it to have the same sensor/lowlight performance as you'd see in the T5i (maybe just slightly better), but no where near the performance of the 5D3.

I also own the Canon 6D. This is not a good choice if you value high performance and adequate focus - much better than your 50D, but not worthy as an "upgrade". I'm constantly switching back to my 5D3 because of my 6D's poor focusing ability outside of using the center AF point.

Upvote 0
Another question to ask yourself. How good is your fieldcraft and are you able to get closer without scaring the subject or falling into water etc.? If you can get closer, then it's a no brainer, if not, then it's a tough decision. I kept my 7D for the extra reach and will go to ISO 1600 (some scenes ISO 800), but I found that when I used the 5D MkIII in low light last October, the 7D never came out of the bag again for the rest of the week, because the image quality and AF was so much better. For travelling, the 5D MkIII certainly gives you more flexibility when travelling light.

Upvote 0
I'd get the 5D iii. The IQ on it makes up for some lost reach. If 400mm is ok for you, then you are not really focal length limited it seems. TC's can make up for it.

If you ever need a lot more reach and you are on a tight budget... a POS Superzoom can come in handy e.g. the SX50 (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon_sx_50_review.shtml) costs less than $400 and the IQ is not bad...

The 35m equivalent range is 24mm to 1200mm... all optical.

The 5diii is very versatile also. The 7D kills it in FPS (as will the 7d2) but the ability to have great high ISO (and thereby fast shutter speed) is what you will get with the 5d3.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
K-amps said:
The 5diii is very versatile also. The 7D kills it in FPS (as will the 7d2) but the ability to have great high ISO (and thereby fast shutter speed) is what you will get with the 5d3.

FWIW, I've heard from multiple reliable sources that the better AF system of the 5DIII 'compensates' for the loss of 2 fps compared to the 7D - i.e., the keeper rate is about the same. I do know that the keeper rate on my 1D X is higher than the 7D (and the fps is higher, too - makes for more work sorting through a whole bunch of tack-sharp images ;) ).

Upvote 0
5DIII is much quieter than the 1DX. To be honest, I can crop deeper with the 5DIII due to the lower noise as well as the higher MP. Of course the closer you get to full frame, the higher you can ramp up the ISO.

I cannot speak for the 7D2 and no one else here can as well. I was one who bought the 5DIII when it was first released and while everyone else was waiting for the price to come down, I was out shooting awesome wildlife shots. So my opinion is get the 5DIII and take fantastic pictures. It could be quite some time before the 7DII is released and has proven itself as a quantum leap in technology or simply a new 7D with a mark II label on it.

neuroanatomist said:
K-amps said:

FWIW, I've heard from multiple reliable sources that the better AF system of the 5DIII 'compensates' for the loss of 2 fps compared to the 7D - i.e., the keeper rate is about the same. I do know that the keeper rate on my 1D X is higher than the 7D (and the fps is higher, too - makes for more work sorting through a whole bunch of tack-sharp images ;) ).

Upvote 0
I commonly shoot wildlife with the 5DIII around ISO 1600 to 2000. Higher if I dont have enough light. I shoot around F7.1 when I can and usually push 2 to 3 EV and pull it back down in photoshop. Sometimes I cant push that high and have to back down or risk blowing out highlights.

As far as cropping goes, I can crop way deeper than when I used the 7D. With the lower noise and higher MP, I dont miss the 1.6X loss by going to FF. You dont gain anything by using APS-C format when standing it up against the 5DIII.

GuyL said:
I am an amateur photographer that spends most of my free time trying to shoot wildlife... I currently have a 50D that I use primarily with a 400mm F5.6L lens, but will on occassion also go to 70-200 F2.8L

I have been waiting for the new Canon 7D2 to come out later this year, thinking that for my purposes it would make the most sense to stay with an APS-C sensor... but the more I read about the 5D3, the more I question if I should not act now...

Typically i find with the pictures I take, i will shoot nothing over ISO400 as i find the noise too much with the 50D.... and i am sure that with either the 7D2 or 5D3 - i would have much more range in terms of ISO...

In terms of cropping, I will often crop a photo to no more than 50%, as i find going more than that will affect the quality of the photo... again, I believe that with either of the 7D2 or 5D3, i would like be able to crop to a higher percentage...

I guess my big concern is that shooting with an APS-C camera and 400mm lens, that going to the 5D3, will not allow me to crop in to as tight a shot as I am currently doing....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
K-amps said:

I wish I had some of your "Photo" related dilemma's John. ;)

Upvote 0
I was shooting with the T1i which I believe has the same sensor as your 50D. The 400mm f5.6 is my usual lens.
I restricted my ISO to 800 and did som noise reduction in post.

I got tired of waiting for the 7D II and got a 5D3 just before christmas. I now typicaly shot with the 400mm f5.6 and the Kenko 300 DGX 1.4x and go up to ISO 3200, typically without needing noise reduction.

Upvote 0
GuyL said:

Since you do wildlife so much I might wait for the 7D2. I used to have a 7D and 5D2 but sold both for a 5D3. 5D3 is much better than the 7D when I am NOT reach limited but it's definitely WORSE 95% of the time when I am reach limited (yes even shooting at ISO1600+ unless the bird is really, really dark in coloration and it falls in a really dark part of the frame). My 7D was universally better for wildlife than my 5D2 had been (when wildlife compared at the same scale the 7D had less artifacts and even a hint less noise; when compared each at 100% scale the 7D had more noise, a touch less artifacts and a lot more detail).

If you tend to get close enough to wildlife than you could more than fill an APS_C frame and could frame as you wish at FF then the 5D3 would be definitely the better bet though (this isn't very common for wildlife, certainly not for birds, maybe for zoos or big stuff like deer that lets you get close or shooting things from blinds and such).

Upvote 0
joshlsmithphoto said:
I would absolutely go with the 5D3 (I have this camera). There are more benefits to using a full frame; better bokah, usually higher resolution, usable images up to ISO 12800/25600 - allowing you to maximize your shutter speed. If you can find a deal, I would buy the 5D3 and the Canon 1.4x Extender II (approx $200), you'll loose 1 stop of light with the extender, but it is usually ok to boost your ISO by a stop if you're shooting a 5D3. You'll also gain quality in your out of focus blur/bokah on a full frame vs a cropped sensor camera.

Yeah but he said he shoot almost nothing but wildlife, unless he shoots from blinds all the time or with bait and so on....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
K-amps said:

I don't find that to be the case for wildlife (where the 5D3 actually seems to be very jumpy with objects that don't move much in AI Servo) or surfing (where the 7D AF actually seems to do fully as well) but it appears to be the case (or more) with soccer and football where the 7D AF seems to get dodgy a lot of the time and do no better than a 50D at times.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.