7D2 or 5D3?

Wait for Canon 7D2 or move on Canon 5D3?

• 7D2

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • 5D3

Votes: 48 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Wait for the 7D M2. Maybe this year, or could be next. And after comes out, why not wait for the 7DM3 or perhaps the 5DM4. The latter may have a crop mode (you heard it here first).

Waiting came can lead to doing nothing. What is your deadline? Why upgrade, do you have shoots you want but can not get? Or is this simply a hobbit and a new camera is something you would like to have (dear I say lust over). The latter is my situtation (so I am able to buy equipment as my budget allows and my heart desires - I don't need to decided based upon business ROI).

Personally I would buy now - enjoy the camera while you can. You may find that it works great in your hands - in which case you have enjoyed it rather than waiting and second guessing yourself. In the end, if you find need the APS-C sensor, you can add a second body or sell the 5DM3 and get the 7DM2 or 70D or what ever the model number is.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Wait for the 7D M2. Maybe this year, or could be next. And after comes out, why not wait for the 7DM3 or perhaps the 5DM4. The latter may have a crop mode (you heard it here first).

Waiting came can lead to doing nothing. What is your deadline? Why upgrade, do you have shoots you want but can not get? Or is this simply a hobbit and a new camera is something you would like to have (dear I say lust over). The latter is my situtation (so I am able to buy equipment as my budget allows and my heart desires - I don't need to decided based upon business ROI).

Personally I would buy now - enjoy the camera while you can. You may find that it works great in your hands - in which case you have enjoyed it rather than waiting and second guessing yourself. In the end, if you find need the APS-C sensor, you can add a second body or sell the 5DM3 and get the 7DM2 or 70D or what ever the model number is.
There's no point waiting that long! The 5D III just came out last year and the 7D2 is yet to come so it will take years until those come.
But yes, just buy what you can now :)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
BrandonKing96 said:
I apologise if I sound rude or sarcastic, but you are asking whether you should be an existing camera, or one that doesn't exist yet.
The 5D3 is an amazing camera and you wouldn't regret buying it.

+1 with BrandonKing96 - rumor 7D 2 might have faster frame rate than 5D III, but will never out perform 5D III indoor shots.

Upvote 0
Interesting how many posters here are rating the performance of a camera on features that don't exist yet.

No one can make a claim that the 7D2 will be better or worse than any other model. Show us some facts on how you base your claim and we will listen. So far there are no facts, only unsubstantiated rumors that anyone could make up.

Upvote 0
Unless you absolutely must buy now, then you lose nothing waiting for a while. The 50D is a very good camera, and if it still works well, then wait. The 7D II is a very interesting rumour, but none of us really know what the final product will be like, nor how much it will cost, or even how it will compare to the 5D Mark III.

So, unless you have some paid jobs in the next few months that you feel you cannot do with your current gear, then just sit it out for a while and see what Canon brings to the table.

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
GuyL said:
I am an amateur photographer that spends most of my free time trying to shoot wildlife... I currently have a 50D that I use primarily with a 400mm F5.6L lens, but will on occassion also go to 70-200 F2.8L

I have been waiting for the new Canon 7D2 to come out later this year, thinking that for my purposes it would make the most sense to stay with an APS-C sensor... but the more I read about the 5D3, the more I question if I should not act now...

Typically i find with the pictures I take, i will shoot nothing over ISO400 as i find the noise too much with the 50D.... and i am sure that with either the 7D2 or 5D3 - i would have much more range in terms of ISO...

In terms of cropping, I will often crop a photo to no more than 50%, as i find going more than that will affect the quality of the photo... again, I believe that with either of the 7D2 or 5D3, i would like be able to crop to a higher percentage...

I guess my big concern is that shooting with an APS-C camera and 400mm lens, that going to the 5D3, will not allow me to crop in to as tight a shot as I am currently doing....

And help or suggestions would be appreciated...

My recommendation - go with the 5D3. That's what I did.

This sounds almost exactly like my situation a few weeks ago, except that my camera was a 20D (my lenses are 400mm f/5.6 and 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS). I was going to wait for the 7D2 but decided to go with the 5D3. Instead of getting the *apparent* 1.6x with the crop, I got an optical 1.4x with a Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX. The Kenko is wired such that it allows the 5D3 to focus with the 400mm + 1.4x converter before the new firmware upgrade even though the EXIF says that the image was taken at f/8. And it focused incredibly fast. Here are a few images that I took with the 5D3 + 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x. The camera's high ISO performance means that I can leave the shutter at 1/2000 to minimize blur, even at f/8.

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v93/p1562235064.jpg

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v95/p1562235016.jpg

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v85/p1562235082.jpg

Good luck with your decision, there probably isn't a "wrong" decision between the two.

Dave

Upvote 0
You made a good choice. Nothing wrong with the 5D3. I will likely also get a 7D2 but I can wait because I already have a 5D3. The 7D2 will be just a backup/2nd body on shoots. Or if it turns out to be good enough, maybe the 5D3 will become the 2nd. I was considering a 7D but decided I can wait and let my $$$ earn some more interest.

Easy for me to do since I already have a 5D3. ;) I got the 5D3 when it first came out mainly because I needed something immediately and couldn't wait. It was a good choice then. I was out shooting great photos while everyone else was waiting for the price to come down.

So as you pointed out just buy what you need now or if you can wait, just wait and see what the options are later in the year. no need to make a hasty decision unless it means losing business.

20Dave said:
GuyL said:
I am an amateur photographer that spends most of my free time trying to shoot wildlife... I currently have a 50D that I use primarily with a 400mm F5.6L lens, but will on occassion also go to 70-200 F2.8L

I have been waiting for the new Canon 7D2 to come out later this year, thinking that for my purposes it would make the most sense to stay with an APS-C sensor... but the more I read about the 5D3, the more I question if I should not act now...

Typically i find with the pictures I take, i will shoot nothing over ISO400 as i find the noise too much with the 50D.... and i am sure that with either the 7D2 or 5D3 - i would have much more range in terms of ISO...

In terms of cropping, I will often crop a photo to no more than 50%, as i find going more than that will affect the quality of the photo... again, I believe that with either of the 7D2 or 5D3, i would like be able to crop to a higher percentage...

I guess my big concern is that shooting with an APS-C camera and 400mm lens, that going to the 5D3, will not allow me to crop in to as tight a shot as I am currently doing....

And help or suggestions would be appreciated...

My recommendation - go with the 5D3. That's what I did.

This sounds almost exactly like my situation a few weeks ago, except that my camera was a 20D (my lenses are 400mm f/5.6 and 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS). I was going to wait for the 7D2 but decided to go with the 5D3. Instead of getting the *apparent* 1.6x with the crop, I got an optical 1.4x with a Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX. The Kenko is wired such that it allows the 5D3 to focus with the 400mm + 1.4x converter before the new firmware upgrade even though the EXIF says that the image was taken at f/8. And it focused incredibly fast. Here are a few images that I took with the 5D3 + 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x. The camera's high ISO performance means that I can leave the shutter at 1/2000 to minimize blur, even at f/8.

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v93/p1562235064.jpg

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v95/p1562235016.jpg

http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v85/p1562235082.jpg

Good luck with your decision, there probably isn't a "wrong" decision between the two.

Dave

Upvote 0
As many others have stated, the 7DII isn't even announced yet and may not be this year. I am in a similar position as yours right now and what made me decide to buy a 5DIII (should pull the trigger today :p) is that when I look back at the bird pictures I took, the best ones were taken when I was really close to the bird. In that case, I don't think I'll miss the 1.6 crop. But then again, maybe my 60D focussing abilities were not that great and that may be why I didn't get great pictures when the subject was far away.
I still need to get people's thoughts about 6D vs 5DIII focus speed though as I went to the store with my 100-400L to test both cameras and the focus speed was clearly better on the 6D. Then again, some AF options may have been “off” since I don’t know them all because I don’t think 6D would focus faster.
Good luck in your decision!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.