7Dmkii + 1.4xii

CurtL5

Purchaser of a little, Admirer of a lot
Curious if anyone has experienced any focusing issues combining a 7Dmkii with a 1.4xii extender on a 70-200L 2.8ii lens? I've shot sports for years, something north of 500k images so I do have a little experience but yesterday was the first time I used my new 7dmkii in this combination and find a fairly high OOF rate. I'm often shooting bursts of 3-7 frames and in some cases, only -some- of the same burst images are OOF, and in other cases the entire burst is. In the past with a 1Dx or a 5Dmkiii, I will have some of course, but this almost feels like a setup issue or even more possibly, a conflict between the two pieces. The OOF rate is probably around 10-20% if I had to put a umber on it where if I use a different lens like say, a 100-400L v.2, it's more like 3-5%.

The 1.4xii + 70-200 combo on the markiii doesnt have the same issues - it's only the 7D that is seeing it happen so I think I can rule out the lens and extender.

Thoughts?
Experiences...?

~curt

D

Deleted member 91053

I use the 1.4 Mk3 extender with my 7D2 and 100-400 Mk2/300 F2.8 L IS and find the AF pretty good - though not as good as the bare lens as you would expect. On my 800 F5.6 L IS it is OK but, obviously, things get a bit critical with this lens and it is an F5.6 as well.

See if you can beg/borrow a 1.4 Mk3 extender - I believe it is designed to give improved AF with cameras like the 7D2, well mine seems to do a pretty good job anyway.

Upvote 0
Mine got the same problem (7DII+70-200+1,4III). Many OOF, and, relatively offen, camera will not focus at all. I use the 1,4III, so it seems to be regardless, which conv you use.
In some situations with that combo the af will not move at all , sometimes its only hunting, many oof...
I dont know about the reasons whether how to solve the problem.

I think it has something to do with 7DII and the 70-200. They do not work well together, even with firmware 1.5. Heard about issues with older firmware, but they are still consistent with 1.5. Hopefully Canon will offer an update...

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
The AF system on the camera is terrible! It's always hunting even when locked on a subject. Even when the subject is over half the viewfinder, you can hear the AF of the lens working, when it should be locked on. If you take a burst of 10 or so pictures, you can see the focus shift from back to front or vice versa. That being said, when it does hit, the pictures are spectacular. I don't use the combo that you're using (7d mkii, 500f4, 1.4xiii), but I've never had a great success rate with the camera. My friend shoots the same combo as I do, but uses the series ii 500, and he says the same thing. I've tried fine tuning the AF settings, and I just live with it. I just take 30 more pictures and and then delete 28 of them, so I have 2 good. I've sent mine in with my lens and they did the yearly maintenance and said everything was fine. I've even posted about it on this forum before, after I rented one, a couple years ago.

Jeremy

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I only use the center point, unless I'm trying for BIF, in which I use an expanded zone. For me, my old 50D never missed on the center point focus, so that's what I'm comparing to. It just seems like the AF system is so sensitive and won't stay locked on, at least for my camera. I knew it would be a learning curve on this camera, but after 20 months or so, I should know how to use it.

Jeremy

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Unfortunately, par for the course. I used this combination for a while on my 7D Mark II. Ultimately, I bought the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II USM after using it and it performing like a match made in heaven. I had the same problem with the 1.4XII with the 100-400 as well so I traded for the 1.4XIII and the issues went away except for tracking subjects coming toward the camera. In this case, I still notice an increase in OOF shots, which is to be expected.

Upvote 0
In my experience, 7DmkII with 1.4x III on 70-200 f2.8L (no IS) is doing pretty well for AF, both accuracy and speed (and it will still allow usage of all focus points :) ). Combined with 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II the accuracy is still good enough, but it is taking its time and may need multiple tries depending on contrast / lightness of the subject. Also it will only allow center AF point (if needed with 4 point focus expansion). Not good for BiF / sports at faster speeds / turns...
At 560mm hand-holdability becomes a challenge unless there is a lot of light...

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Has anyone had experience comparing focus of 7D2 compared to 80D? I have heard similar complaints about focus problems on 7D2 from other forums and from my cousin, an experienced shooter who does NOT use extenders.

I just picked up a used 300 f2.8L IS at a fantastic price along with a used (but mint) 1.4xiii. I would like to buy another body to keep attached and am considering 80D or 7D2. (Currently I have two 5D4 so I am used to full frame, but crop would be nice for the telephoto). If 80D focus is as good or better, I will go that way for price (since I can't afford/justify a third 5D4).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

MrFotoFool said:
Has anyone had experience comparing focus of 7D2 compared to 80D? I have heard similar complaints about focus problems on 7D2 from other forums and from my cousin, an experienced shooter who does NOT use extenders.

I just picked up a used 300 f2.8L IS at a fantastic price along with a used (but mint) 1.4xiii. I would like to buy another body to keep attached and am considering 80D or 7D2. (Currently I have two 5D4 so I am used to full frame, but crop would be nice for the telephoto). If 80D focus is as good or better, I will go that way for price (since I can't afford/justify a third 5D4).

I have that exact combination and it works very well on my 7D2. Never used an 80D so I couldn't comment on it.

Upvote 0