80D autofocus

Hi
It's time to upgrade my 60D, and I'm looking at the 80D. I'll be shooting a wide range of subjects including wildlife and sports. I tried out an 80D at a store yesterday and am confused about the small zone (9 point) AF -- when I tried focusing on people in the store at a nearby counter the AF jumped around a bit when the person moved slightly, seemingly guessing which of the nine points to focus on. Is this normal? Because it was set on Servo?
I'd like to know from 80D users how often you use small zone AF, why it is/isn't useful

Jaysheldon said:
I did some reading. I wonder if the camera was in one of the automatic Image Zone modes. If so, the AF was in automatic selection

My advice would be for you to binge a little bit on some youtube tutorials about the 80D and get as familiar with it a fast as you can. (if you are going to purchase it)

The 80D is an awesome camera! You're gonna love it!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jay.
I think the characteristic you were experiencing is explained on page 125 of the manual (English version) read the first paragraph in the blue box, you were in zone as opposed to large zone AF. Might be an idea to read from page 120 or perhaps the start of section 3 p115, plus the custom function (C.Fn) II from p416. Coming from the old 9 point AF system there will be a bit of a learning curve getting to grips with all the things you can change about how the AF system performs.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jay.
Yes and you can move that 9 box around the point spread, it will do the same in large zone too.

Cheers, Graham.

Jaysheldon said:
Thanks Valvebounce. So the verdict is if you chose ZoneAF AND Servo, the active AF point continually/automatically tracks the subject within the 9 point zone.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Jaysheldon said:
Thanks Valvebounce. So the verdict is if you chose ZoneAF AND Servo, the active AF point continually/automatically tracks the subject within the 9 point zone.

Yep. TBH though I rarely use zone AF. Especially with distracting backgrounds as the camera has trouble deciding on which bit of contrast is the subject. I usually either use Single point, or single with 4 surrounding helpers and I keep the subject in that zone. This is on a 7d2 but the principal will be the same on the 80d. Zone focus is only useful with a subject that really stands out against the background.

Upvote 0