85 1.4 AF SUGGESTIONS?

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Well the canon one is out because of price. The sigma art is a possibility. I have the samyang but its manual. I was hoping Yongnuo might come out with something but not yet. There aren't many great alternatives out there. Tamton and Tokina seem to have stayed clear of making one.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Well the canon one is out because of price. The sigma art is a possibility. I have the samyang but its manual. I was hoping Yongnuo might come out with something but not yet. There aren't many great alternatives out there. Tamton and Tokina seem to have stayed clear of making one.
What about a used one?

Reactions: Chris.Chapterten

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
The Tamron 85/1.8 SP is a very good lens, but not 1.4 of course.

Reactions: Larsskv

Larsskv

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 12, 2015
The older Sigma 85 f1.4 EX has a good reputation, but I would expect some focus issues. You might want to check it out.

I have a copy of the Tamron 85 f.1.8 which I think is really good. It is sharp, has beautiful bokeh and I love how its pictures looks. I think it has much of the same qualities as the 85LII, but sharper edges, and that says a lot. It is also weather sealed and reasonably sized.

it has IS, but for some reason I find it to blur the images taken at 1/125 - 1/180 sec, which is a much used aperture speed for me indoors, so I opted to turn of IS in such instances. AF isn’t as good as Canon 85 f1.4, but it is fairly good I think.

Unless you really need f1.4, I think you should be very happy with the Tamron. It is a significant step up from Canon 85 f1.8, especially at large apertures. I like its clarity and color.

edit: I almost sold the Tamron due to the IS issues I mentioned, but after reviewing the keepers I got from it, I couldn’t. The pictures looked too darn good. I have most of the Canon L lenses up to 200mm, both EF and RF, so I think that says a lot.

Last edited:

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I need the 1.4 but might just hold off a while as things are quiet obviously. The sigma 85 1.4 art is a possibility if price is right online (in europe) but we will see if tamron or tokina release a 1.4 this year. Thanks for replies.

YuengLinger

EOS 5D MK IV
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
I was disappointed by the Canon. AF not as quick, precise, or consistent as hoped. IQ good, but mine wasn't remarkable. Adequate is the best I can say. The IS seemed pretty weak.

I enjoyed the ef 85 1.2L II much more. Should have kept it, but I was chasing quicker AF. Dumb tradeoff for portraits, in my case.

The Rf 1.2, otoh...Ooo la la!

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I was disappointed by the Canon. AF not as quick, precise, or consistent as hoped. IQ good, but mine wasn't remarkable. Adequate is the best I can say. The IS seemed pretty weak.

I enjoyed the ef 85 1.2L II much more. Should have kept it, but I was chasing quicker AF. Dumb tradeoff for portraits, in my case.

The Rf 1.2, otoh...Ooo la la!
Agreed 100% with everything you said.

briangus

EOS T7i
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
I found that my my 85 F1.4 on 5D4 was never able to hold focus after it locked on.
It would lock focus then defocus then repeat multiple times even though there was little to no movement by me or the subject.
Put it down to shooting in low light though never had the issue with the EF 85 F1.2