85L mk II rubber coating breakdown

Sep 29, 2012
the rubberized coating on my 3 yr old 85L mk II seemes to be breaking down...
feels a bit gummy/sticky ...

... can it be restored...or better yet would canon consider this a defective material issue and ..can it be re-applied by them...? if they can replace/repair is it expensive ...if they wont cover it...

it has not separated but doesn't feel like it is gonna last.....

the lens is dead-on accurate .... just the finish on the rubber makes it... lower value...I suppose
thanks for advice.....

Jan 13, 2013
Viggo said:
rs said:
Viggo said:
I have had at least 7-8 85mm's and haven't seen this before, could you post a picture?

7-8? What happened to the first 6-7? ???

Lol, fair question, my needs change and I can't agree with myself, and since I can't own every lens at the same time, I buy and sell a lot.

Yup ... I see the 200L II has disappeared

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
rs said:
Viggo said:
I have had at least 7-8 85mm's and haven't seen this before, could you post a picture?

7-8? What happened to the first 6-7? ???

Lol, fair question, my needs change and I can't agree with myself, and since I can't own every lens at the same time, I buy and sell a lot.

Yup ... I see the 200L II has disappeared

Yeah, it just wasn't the 200 f2.0 L, and I miss that lens SO much... The 35 is too awesome though :D

Upvote 0
You have a few options:

Least risky option: Send it in to Canon to have them replace the exterior components. This will cost money, but not a prohibitive amount.

More risky option: Use a solvent to dissolve the coating, and live without it. I don't recommend this due to the danger of fluids entering the lens through crevices in the barrel.

You cannot reverse this type of damage. It is caused by contact with oils or metals or atmosphere that break down the coating; it is permanent, and it will spread over time. What you should be concerned about is the question of how it started to decay: how are you storing and cleaning the lens? Did it come into contact with something that might cause this phenomenon? What are the environmental conditions of its use?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
TommyLee said:

... can it be restored...or better yet would canon consider this a defective material issue and ..can it be re-applied by them...? if they can replace/repair is it expensive ...if they wont cover it...

the lens is dead-on accurate .... just the finish on the rubber makes it... lower value...I suppose
thanks for advice.....

Are you talking the rubber focus ring? I don't think that there is any other rubber.

The rubber rings are just a rubber band that will stretch to attach and detach. Ask Canon for a replacement, or buy one, they are cheap.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
TommyLee said:

thanks for advice.....

Are you talking the rubber focus ring? I don't think that there is any other rubber.

The rubber rings are just a rubber band that will stretch to attach and detach. Ask Canon for a replacement, or buy one, they are cheap.

Sadly, no. The exterior barrel of the EF 85/1.2L II is treated with a special rubberized finish to improve grip, because it is a fat, heavy, and round lens. It isn't found in most other EF lenses--in fact, I can't think of any other lenses in production that have it.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
chromophore said:
TommyLee said:

thanks for advice.....

Sadly, no. The exterior barrel of the EF 85/1.2L II is treated with a special rubberized finish to improve grip, because it is a fat, heavy, and round lens. It isn't found in most other EF lenses--in fact, I can't think of any other lenses in production that have it.

Amazing. I never noticed that even after using the 85L II for the past few years. I had to take a very close look at the lens to realise that there is indeed some rubber compound added to the barrel.

I agree with your earlier post. If the rubber is starting to decompose, the only solution is to send it out to Canon.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
It's possible that whatever the coating/compound is, it's related to a special "protein paint*" that they used to coat their lens grips with on their handheld(ENG) TV lenses. I had it eventually start to breakdown down and come off of my old lens on my first Betacam. Really nasty when it does start to finally come off. I haven't noticed anything like that on my 85, though. Of course, the time that my old eng lens spent in my hand far outweighs the time the 85, and all of my still lenses combined, by many orders of magnitude.

*Canon sales literature stated that it was "Specially developed protein paint exclusively engineered to absorb moisture while enhancing the feel of the lens."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
TommyLee said:
you really can't SEE it... but you can feel it ... a photo cant show much...
it is as if i put some chem on it to clean it...which I never did...
or maybe it is just a batch of the rubbery 'grip' stuff...that went bad?...

Feels like a steering wheel that's been in a hot car too much right? Not saying the lens was in a hot car, but that is probably how it feels... kind of sticky. I'd send it to Canon. Maybe the batch of rubber was mixed poorly.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
TommyLee said:

thanks for advice.....

That is nice information. Thanks! I learn a lot from you.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
dilbert said:
CanonFanBoy said:
TommyLee said:
you really can't SEE it... but you can feel it ... a photo cant show much...
it is as if i put some chem on it to clean it...which I never did...
or maybe it is just a batch of the rubbery 'grip' stuff...that went bad?...

Feels like a steering wheel that's been in a hot car too much right? Not saying the lens was in a hot car, but that is probably how it feels... kind of sticky. I'd send it to Canon. Maybe the batch of rubber was mixed poorly.

Canon's warranty won't cover this as it is a 3 year old lens.

I'd still send it in unless there is a third party that supplies the part... or get the part direct from Canon if possible.

Upvote 0
thanks all you informed and ...sharp minds..

I decided to send the lens....to Canon for an estimate..
they have always treated me good.. (NON-CPS)
pro photo portland is sending for me...where I buy stuff...

I will guess $150 to do it right...
which is about 1/2 case of fairly good wine...
(how I measure things)

I assume they will clean up and make like new...
I could be wrong though..

the lens is a sell/dont sell ...constant item in my head...
because I want the new version of 85-135 range with stabilized function...
MAYBE if I am lucky..
they will make a new 135 I.S. f2..
and I will keep the old bokeh...master...

the 135 was like the 200 f2 but 'shakey' ..

so I am SURE they know they want a 135 I.S.

also I would get the 200 f2 mkII version.. if out soon..

all this talk triggered by rotting rubber....
the comment that it was organic and ...it reacted with organic...made sense.. I never put anything on it.. not armor all or windex....etc.. just water on a cloth... because it was in a limited environment...
///
so ..
my duty to report the cost...and outcome to my friends who helped with so many good ideas..

lucky to have these places to chat

Upvote 0
well
Canon wants a flat rate $327 to replace the rubber grip..
I suppose they have someone clean it and run it thru production..
I get 6 mos warranty......til the new rubber breaks down I guess..

seems a rip...but labor is high..
supposedly it is re-calibrated.... etc..

but it was dead-on accurate 1-2 micro adjust clicks if that..

sigh..
and I read that the rubber part is $27 from canon...

I will ponder this.....sort of stuck....
I wonder how difficult it is to do...
clean and then properly glue.. the part on?

has anyone ever done this or seen a video of it done?..

thanks if anyone follows up on this post..

TOM

Upvote 0