85mm f/1.2L II or 85mm f/1.4L IS?

That's it from me for now, it seems the iPad doesn't allow me to submit smaller images. Sorry if this slows down your browsing.

Since these are full-res, I won't post the RAW except on request.

These images are all straight from the camera, manual exposure with Auto-ISO. Metering is from active AF spot.

Apart from a hint of camera-shake(?) with the 1.2, I think they provide a reasonable illustration of quality, but if you are a 1.2L owner even thinking of the 1.4, I would say go ahead! If you disagree - my 1.2 will be available :)

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
SecureGSM said:
Canon is also twice more expensive : Sigma at A$1,050 (with discount) vs Canon 85 F1.4 IS at over A$2,000

Isn't the Canon $1,599? ;) That's before any future rebates, bundles, and sales. I would take the Canon all day long at that price differential.

Does anyone know whether the Sigma suffers from mirror box clipping like the Canon does?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
SecureGSM said:
Canon is also twice more expensive : Sigma at A$1,050 (with discount) vs Canon 85 F1.4 IS at over A$2,000

Isn't the Canon $1,599? ;) That's before any future rebates, bundles, and sales. I would take the Canon all day long at that price differential.

Does anyone know whether the Sigma suffers from mirror box clipping like the Canon does?

Updated that for you, for emphasis. Not everyone is granted the tasty new product pricing we enjoy in the States.

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ahsanford said:
CanonFanBoy said:
SecureGSM said:

Updated that for you, for emphasis. Not everyone is granted the tasty new product pricing we enjoy in the States.

- A

At today's exchange rate (AU vs US) the $2,099 lens in Australia = $1,597 USD. The Sigma is far less money there compared to here if their price is converted to USD. So not as tasty as one might think. Though in Australian $ the difference is double. I would still take the Canon.

Their per capita income is also much higher. But, means nothing for this discussion. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
ahsanford said:
Viggo said:
The difference between the Art and 85 IS here is 423 USD, which I consider a very small difference.

It’s a reasonable price to pay for AF you can rely on for off-center large aperture work.

(The same logic applies for getting the 35L II over the 35 Art)

- A

And weather sealing, IS , and 3d pop :D

The difference between the 35 Art and the 35 L II is 1700 USD here ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
bereninga said:
Viggo said:
The difference between the Art and 85 IS here is 423 USD, which I consider a very small difference.

A very small difference? It's like 35% more for the 85 IS vs the Art. That's not that small.

Actually it’s more like 29% and considering what I get more with the Canon it’s no brainer for me at least.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Interesting. When comparing Norwegian vs Danish prices, 85A is more expensive (+23.4USD), and the 85L is less expensive (-113.5USD), which makes the difference here climb to 553USD.

Still, the price difference for the 85L won't pay for a trip with the boat up to Oslo to buy it.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
kaihp said:
Viggo said:
Interesting. When comparing Norwegian vs Danish prices, 85A is more expensive (+23.4USD), and the 85L is less expensive (-113.5USD), which makes the difference here climb to 553USD.

Still, the price difference for the 85L won't pay for a trip with the boat up to Oslo to buy it.

From me to Hirtshals with car it’s around 10-15 dollars ;D

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
kaihp said:
Viggo said:

Ah, that doesn't include a bunk because it's a daytrip right? Copenhagen-Oslo is an overnight trip and the bunks are a ripoff. It's probably cheaper to take Norwegian to Gardermoen than the DFDS boat. Or just drive up there.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
kaihp said:
Viggo said:
kaihp said:
Viggo said:

Ah, that doesn't include a bunk because it's a daytrip right? Copenhagen-Oslo is an overnight trip and the bunks are a ripoff. It's probably cheaper to take Norwegian to Gardermoen than the DFDS boat. Or just drive up there.

Yup! Used to live in Oslo, and I’ve done more trips to Denmark in a year now than a life time from Oslo, lol. Sometimes we just take a daytrip just to eat at “Flammen“ ;D

I think we went off topic here :p

Upvote 0