A bit more about the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

kraats

EOS 80D
Oct 9, 2011
My experience, coming from the 1DXII to the R, is that shooting kids moving erratically around with large apertures (f1.2-f2), the R gives me way more keepers/in focus images, and that experience was with the first EOS R firmware. The R has improved considerably with the newest firmware.

For some types of action photography, like birds in flight, a DSLR may hold an edge, and the optical viewfinder will probably be better as well. For most people and shooting scenarios though, the AF in the R outperforms every DSLR ever made.

I use the R and the 5DIV every week, and when using the 5DIV I am constantly bothered by slightly out of focus images.The constraints that comes from having to using the focus points is also bothering me a bit.
My experience is the other way around ....

kraats

EOS 80D
Oct 9, 2011
I am afraid your observation is misleading. I am using R for birds pictures and have got some very good results without added struggle, specially with the new firmware 1.4. And I am not the only one. Need proof? see the "Show your birds portraits" thread.
Which settings do you use for birds?

mpmark

EOS T7i
Aug 9, 2016
This exactly. I’m sure it’s going to be a very good camera for a specific target audience (for example the news agencies, sports photographers, etc), but we’re reaching the limits of what can be done with dslr’s. Mirrorless has a lot more upward potential.
I really dont get how you need more then 61 AF points, I do perfectly fine with all photography and dont use even half of them. What is the fixation with more is always better always. This doesn't bug me one bit. In fact any more af points would just clutter my life shooting.
I dont care to see a bees nest in the evf.

• Angry
Reactions: Jim Corbett

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I really dont get how you need more then 61 AF points, I do perfectly fine with all photography and dont use even half of them. What is the fixation with more is always better always. This doesn't bug me one bit. In fact any more af points would just clutter my life shooting.
I dont care to see a bees nest in the evf.
I constantly cut off feet with the 61 point from the 1dx when doing tight’ish vertical shots.
If you haven’t tried something like the R system you have no idea how great the freedom of composition is. I can include and exclude and place whatever I want wherever I want and move an AF point EXACTLY where I want. No cropping needed, it’s like the difference between walking with your shoelaces tied together and not..

Cochese

EOS 80D
Oct 22, 2014
This is completely absurd. I could afford to buy several 1DX MkIIs right now if I really wanted to. You know why? Because I have a very deeply entrenched habit of not spending excess money where I don't really have to.

I buy third party batteries, and at the price they cost, I can get way more of them for the same price than if I bought Canon batteries. So even if the life is not quite as good as Canon, I'm still getting more battery capacity for the money.

This trope of "well if you can afford the camera you should be able to afford the Canon batteries" sounds just like some elitist nonsense to me. None of us have unlimited resources. And even though I could buy hundreds and hundreds of official Canon batteries if I wanted to, I choose not to buy any. Because then I can put those monetary resources to use elsewhere... Towards other cameras, lenses, or even a plane ticket so I can go actually use my gear somewhere.
Right, "I could afford to buy several 1DX MkIIs right now if I really wanted to" If you can truly afford it, it's not going to be a huge issue to buy a few extra batteries.
If you're talking about putting it on a credit card (which at that point, I too, can "afford" about ten of them), than you can't actually afford the camera. Having credit isn't the same as being able to afford something.

Daner

EOS M50
Aug 15, 2017
Stockholm
I have even sold my 5d IV. My eos r is just not as good as my 5d IV was. I don't use AF a lot so I don't really mind. Waiting for the eos r pro .....
If you don't use AF a lot, the enhancements in AF made available by the R would be lost on you. I thought I would miss the joystick, but touch and drag combined with eye AF has improved my keeper rate. I also appreciate the lighter weight, and the fact that the RF 24-105 is significantly better than the EF 24-105. Looking forward to the 15-35, and the smaller, lighter RF 70-200 as well.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I wonder what the "new feature" on the battery itself is? Only two things come to mind:
1) Some sort of indicator for the level, and maybe a smart chip allowing rapid charging to 80%
2) A built in USB-C charging port.
3) Cease / disable the camera AF ability when a non genuine battery in use is detected. Allow manual focusing modes only with shutter speed restricted to B mode exclusively.

Nokishita just tweeted an hour ago that they have found an unpublished article on a famous overseas news site about 1DXIII.
This is the same thing they found a day before the A9II was announced.
Very likely Canon is including something about the 1DXIII in the upcoming announcement.

chik0240

EOS M50
Dec 31, 2016
ok, I am tempted as a DSLR lover, and this might very well be the last flagship DSLR ever made so a part of collector item

But (sneaking at my wife) I likely never can afford that:censored:

Nelu

5D Mark IV, 1Dx, EOS R
EOS R Setting: Image Review (off); Continuous AF (on); AF Tracking Sensitivity (0 or +1); Acc./Decl. Tracking (+2); AF Point Switch (-2); Lens Drive when Focus Impossible (off); One Shot AF Priority (Focus); Highlight Alert (on); AF Point Display (on).
That's interesting!...
First, there's no such thing as "AF Point Switch" value of " -2". It can only be 0, +1 or +2.
Secondly, if you sett the AF Tracking Sensitivity to something on the plus side, the focus will jump onto any new subject coming into the frame. Really the opposite what you need when trying to keep the focus on birds.
Your setting for the "Acc/Decl Tracking" is correctly set to a value on the plus side, in order to be able to handle birds chaotic movements.

Other than that, "Continuous AF" set to "On" will only eat up your battery and it's not important for photos as it might be for videos.

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
That's interesting!...
First, there's no such thing as "AF Point Switch" value of " -2". It can only be 0, +1 or +2.
Secondly, if you sett the AF Tracking Sensitivity to something on the plus side, the focus will jump onto any new subject coming into the frame. Really the opposite what you need when trying to keep the focus on birds.
Your setting for the "Acc/Decl Tracking" is correctly set to a value on the plus side, in order to be able to handle birds chaotic movements.

Other than that, "Continuous AF" set to "On" will only eat up your battery and it's not important for photos as it might be for videos.
Thanks for correction. Yes, for "AF Point Switch" I meant minimum possible value which is zero.
And "AF Tracking Sensitivity" is usually zero, except for when there are multiple birds and I want to focus on a random one, let the camera decide.

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
I'm with you here. I had purchased some LP-E6's off brand a while ago and they were hot garbage. Held a charge for less than half the time of the Canon-manufactured battery which was years older. From then on it has been nothing Canon batteries, and no issues at all.
Every third party battery I have purchased since the 10D has been complete garbage. Every time I hear "Well, some are rotten but these are different" I fall for it and buy several batteries and chargers and find that the new "much better" batteries are actually the same old crap in new boxes. Shame on me for falling for this scam so many times.

Reactions: amorse

kraats

EOS 80D
Oct 9, 2011
If you don't use AF a lot, the enhancements in AF made available by the R would be lost on you. I thought I would miss the joystick, but touch and drag combined with eye AF has improved my keeper rate. I also appreciate the lighter weight, and the fact that the RF 24-105 is significantly better than the EF 24-105. Looking forward to the 15-35, and the smaller, lighter RF 70-200 as well.
Yes, i am also looking forward to the rf 70-200 ....

kraats

EOS 80D
Oct 9, 2011
EOS R Setting: Image Review (off); Continuous AF (on); AF Tracking Sensitivity (0 or +1); Acc./Decl. Tracking (+2); AF Point Switch (-2); Lens Drive when Focus Impossible (off); One Shot AF Priority (Focus); Highlight Alert (on); AF Point Display (on).
Thank you!

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm with you here. I had purchased some LP-E6's off brand a while ago and they were hot garbage. Held a charge for less than half the time of the Canon-manufactured battery which was years older. From then on it has been nothing Canon batteries, and no issues at all.
You're buying the wrong third party batteries. Some of them are junk. Others are just as good, if not better than, the genuine Canon batteries. Try STK (Sterling Tek), they last more charge/recharge cycles than my Canon originals do.

Reactions: Cochese