A Canon camera has shown up for certification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A camera, likely the EOS R5 has shown up for certification according to Nokishita.
The certification shows a new battery as we reported previously, it’ll be the LP-E6NH with a voltage of 7.2v and 2130mAh. Perhaps the “H” means “high-capacity”.
The certification also says the camera is compatible with the Speedlite 600EX-RT, does that mean the EOS R5 will have a wireless trigger? We haven’t heard that suggestion previously.
The camera is also compatible with the Canon RS-60E3.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Higher capacity in the same form factor is logical to me. By comparison Sony's A7/A9 batteries have 2280mah vs 1865 in the LP-E6N despite similar physical size, so it would seem there is room for denser energy storage.

mAh figures are not comparable if you don’t know the voltages. mWh is what matters.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Looking at photos of the camera from the Vegas show, it looks like the area under the hotshoe is a separate piece from the rest of the body. I assumed this camera doesn't have a pop-up flash. Maybe there's a pop-up flash trigger?

No, that’s the ”window” for the radio antennas (WLAN and GPS). Although I don’t see why there couldn’t be a radio trigger for RT flashes as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

liv_img

EOS R5, 5D Mark IV
Feb 7, 2011
The RS80-N3 is older, from film days. The RS60-E3 was developed for a less bulky plug, and it can rotate.
The E3 very simple remote jack is much older than the better N3 jack. Usually the amateur Canon cameras have the E3 and the pro cameras the N3. The port on the front of the R5 looks exactly like the N3 of the EOS 5D-IV. Maybe this certification is for another simpler camera? The R6?

Upvote 0
The E3 very simple remote jack is much older than the better N3 jack. Usually the amateur Canon cameras have the E3 and the pro cameras the N3. The port on the front of the R5 looks exactly like the N3 of the EOS 5D-IV. Maybe this certification is for another simpler camera? The R6?
The port on front is for sure PC sync. Same asi on EOS R (on battery grip - in front). R5 will be using E3 as EOS R (mk I). I guess it will be on same place - left side, left top corner. PC sync is usually only for "pro" cameras in new day and age.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Now a 200-600 in addition to the announced 100-500 will make Sony users cry :D *
Oh and a few DO lenses...

* Or at least it will make Canon users smile :D
I don’t want to make anyone cry. We need to get past this Chevy v. Ford pettiness. Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji... all make fine cameras and the others don’t need to fail for Canon to succeed. Me? Canon because of the ergonomics and lens quality. 5D IV, 6D II, RP, M5. But I could live with any of the others if necessary and I doubt my photos would suffer.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I don’t want to make anyone cry. We need to get past this Chevy v. Ford pettiness. Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji... all make fine cameras and the others don’t need to fail for Canon to succeed. Me? Canon because of the ergonomics and lens quality. 5D IV, 6D II, RP, M5. But I could live with any of the others if necessary and I doubt my photos would suffer.
Of course hence the smiles! I thought they were self-explanatory!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The port on front is for sure PC sync. Same asi on EOS R (on battery grip - in front). R5 will be using E3 as EOS R (mk I). I guess it will be on same place - left side, left top corner. PC sync is usually only for "pro" cameras in new day and age.

The PC Sync is on the side of the camera, seen here with the flash bolt icon:

1582828297323.png

The front is definitely the remote port, whichever type it is, much like on the 5D Mark IV.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
mAh figures are not comparable if you don’t know the voltages. mWh is what matters.

True.
BUT: Voltages are the same i.e. 7.2V for the LP-E6N (EOS R) and this one.
That means the increase in energy is proportional i.e. 2130/1865 -> 14% more energy.
But what we still dont know: Will this lead to a higher CIPA rating regarding number of photos that can be taken with a charge? I think: Unlikely, because the power consumption of the R5 might be quite higher given new features like IBIS etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0