A Canon camera has shown up for certification

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
On Monday, at my fav pro photo shop, a guy at the desk said that rumors he heard are on the 7 k$ level for the R5. I wouldn't wonder if he's right, given the fact that the R5 introduces 8k video in the FF market. But you never know, the 5D Mk II revolutionized the video market a decade ago, and was quire affordable back then.
If that guy At your favourite pro photoshop was right ( and he is absolutely not), what the upcoming R1 price range would be then, USD$10.000-12,000?
Not extremely likely. However, what do I know :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
On Monday, at my fav pro photo shop, a guy at the desk said that rumors he heard are on the 7 k$ level for the R5. I wouldn't wonder if he's right, given the fact that the R5 introduces 8k video in the FF market. But you never know, the 5D Mk II revolutionized the video market a decade ago, and was quire affordable back then.
Perhaps they are planning to gouge their customers.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
All Canon has to do here is to set a very low MAP price which will still allow the distributors and the dealers to make some money, but they can make more off lens sales.

If Canon really want to take back the #1 position in mirrorless ILC, they should go the Gillette/Schick route.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Some do, because APS-C is the poor man's teleconverter.
In fact, for birding, and within the Canon system, you only have two options currently if you want catch as much detail as possible with your tele lens: use a slowly firing 5DR and crop later or use a fast firing 7D2 and catch more action. I actually use the 7D2 even with converters + my EF 500mm, if there is enough light. With a 1DX wouldn't have much space to crop. Typical birder problem, since their objects are fast, shy, and often small ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Why are the 'losing this classic market'? Yes, thare will be some who switch and an increasing from nothing will always look impressive. But most CaNikon wildlife shooters shoot APS-C and they are still way ahead of Sony in this market.
With all the hype, it is easy to forget that Sony has improved their market share in FF cameras and FF only. In total ILC market share, Sony has no more of a market what than they did before launching mirrorless because FF is such a small percentage of the overall market.
Well, at least in this region in Belgium I met more birders using Sony than Canon (me) and Nikon users (my wife) - for the first time in my life. I was really surprised. And all of those guys used exactly this Sony A7 IV & 200-600mm combo, as if they were photographic clone warriors. One guy with whom I had a good conversation (when nothing interesting happened) told me that he mostly switches to the A7's crop mode for birding, he then still has 26 MP (hope I remember correctly, I do not calculate it now) available. So he has FF and APS in one camera, but more FPS than with a 5DR. Btw this guy changed from Nikon to Sony.

Sony is catching up, that's the reality. I will not switch from Canon to Sony, but competition for Canon and Nikon gets harder. Finally, we all, as customers, do profit from a healthy competition. No company can rest on their laurels and do the same thing for a decade anymore, like they could some decades ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
What happens if they don't pass the certification? I understand the chances are low, but certification implies some compliance tests.

I don’t think anyone can afford coming up with a finished product and waiting until official certification testing to see whether they pass or not. They have designed and tested the camera to be compliant and it would be a huge process wtf if suddenly turned out not to be after all.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
If that guy At your favourite pro photoshop was right ( and he is absolutely not), what the upcoming R1 price range would be then, USD$10.000-12,000?
Not extremely likely. However, what do I know :)
Well, I just cited the guy at the desk, I am not an expert on Canon pricing either. But I do well remember how the prices were going up with every new 5D series model introduced. I got my 5D3 for 3k € here in Europe when it just was released, the 5D4 already came for 4k €, so it wouldn't be a surprise if Canon tried to introduce a 5D5, if it ever comes, for 5k € in our region. It is quite obvious that Canon aims its R5 at Sony's A9 II which is available for 4,5 US-$ at B&H right now. But Canon changed to a quite expensive brand for pro/ prosumer products. Just remember the R's ambitious initial pricing compared with the competition, offering for this money less ambitious specs (no IBIS, cropped 4k video). So, maybe it's realistic to expect the R5's initial price to be 5 k US-$ minimum. But that's my guess, we all have to wait until Canon's release...

Btw, for Leica customers, 10k US-$ still is a poor man's budget... ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
What happens if they don't pass the certification?

Then they need to go back to the drawing board.

Repeat: Receiving the certification is well in advance of this
certification being published.

The firmware isn't final and certainly not fully bugfixed,
which is why the WPPI has seen the camera only under glass.

The fact that it was there physically shows that the production
is in full thrust.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
People seems to forget that, i have seen more EOS R in real life than any a7 series camera
Maybe this one helps:

So if you met a lensrental customer past year, she or he would most probably carry a 5D4, followed by an A7 III. Interestingly, the EOS R made it in this list of 20 most popular gear items rented, Nikon's Z cameras not. But I don't know whether lensrental customers provide a measure for typical mainstream users (of prosumer/pro cameras).

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
In fact, for birding, and within the Canon system, you only have two options currently if you want catch as much detail as possible with your tele lens: use a slowly firing 5DR and crop later or use a fast firing 7D2 and catch more action. I actually use the 7D2 even with converters + my EF 500mm, if there is enough light. With a 1DX wouldn't have much space to crop. Typical birder problem, since their objects are fast, shy, and often small ;)
totally understood. Were Birders a significant part of pro photography market though? I think Canon thinking process is: offer a hi-res R-series camera (80Mp ??) capable of around 11 FPS and Birders will crop to x1.6 for a better reach... problem solved.
sensor readout speed is up tremendously. so 80Mp at 11 FPS is a reality.

Upvote 0