Spot Meter Linked to AF Point
Dual compact flash (no more SD)
Lower High ISO noise by 50%
Wifi
GPS
Larger view finder (magnified 1.5x)
More AF Points, all double cross to f8
sharp eye focus detection.
Ability to change icon and name of AF profiles.
Brighter Red viewfinder indicators.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Been predicting it for two years or so now: interchangeable head, aka F-1, except this time one is a pentaprism as normal, the other an EVF that when fitted and plugged in automatically locks the mirror up, and you have a 'mirrorless' with DPAF, principally for video purposes but there's nothing to stop you using it for stills, if that's your wish. This would fit with the early 'modular' rumours about the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
Silverstream said:
Is there any DSLR that has a live view in viewfinder like what is offered on Mirrorless? That is the one function that I would love to have although I would want it to be optional.

YES! Would be great for live view jobs and especially video + changing menu settings in very bright light!

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Ryananthony said:
I have never had an issue knowing where the buttons are on my camera at night. Does it not become muscle memory at some point?

I've been wondering same thing at every "features I want" threads. I really don't want those. For one I think it'd look funny, but also one more thing to break. Less un-needed electronic parts = more reliability.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Been predicting it for two years or so now: interchangeable head, aka F-1, except this time one is a pentaprism as normal, the other an EVF that when fitted and plugged in automatically locks the mirror up, and you have a 'mirrorless' with DPAF, principally for video purposes but there's nothing to stop you using it for stills, if that's your wish. This would fit with the early 'modular' rumours about the 5DIV.
This is a great idea but I think a little too ambitious for the next gen. One could also have a waist level finder.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
For me the feature I would like in order of preference would be:
1)The ability to see your image in the viewfinder after you've taken the shot
2) An articulated screen (that can flip back in so the the camera can be stored with the screen protected)
3) Illuminated buttons at night
4) Automatic Calibration of Lens
5) Sensor cleaner that really does clean your sensor
6) In built ND filter
7) Flash commander
8) Face recognition
9) Best in class ISO performance

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
vscd said:
ccardona54 said:
jebrady03 said:
Is this a first in DSLR's? Or a "first"... like how Apple claims to have invented everything?

Apple DID invent everything: a usable computer, usable printer (Postscript), usable music player, usable internet-in-your-pocket device, usable tablet, usable Dick Tracy watch, usable music/movie downloads. OK, they're working on usable cloud-synching, you got me there!

You know the difference between inventing and making something usable, based on existing inventions?

No, he doesn't have any idea at all. Apple didn't even invent the first commercially successful home computer.

1. The first commercially available POCKET MP3 player was invented by a Korean company. (1997 by Saehan Information Systems, which sold its “MPMan” player in Asia in spring 1998)

2. First in your pocket internet connectable cell phone was a Nokia.

3. Dick Tracy used a watch/radio. The closest thing to that is a watch/cellphone. A cell phone is a radio. In 1999, Samsung launched the world's first watch phone, the SPH-WP10. It had a protruding antenna, a monochrome LCD screen, and a 90-minutes of talk time with an integrated speaker and microphone.

In 1998, Steve Mann invented, designed, and built the world's first Linux wristwatch, which he presented at IEEE ISSCC2000, 2000 February 7, where he was named "the father of wearable computing".

The famous Timex Datalink, a so-called wristwatch, product line was introduced in 1994. The early Timex Datalink Smartwatches realized a wireless data transfer mode to communicate with a PC. Appointments and contacts created with Microsoft Schedule+, the predecessor of MS Outlook, could be easily transmitted to the watch via a screen blinking light protocol.

4. Apple did not invent the first usable music and movie downloads.

5. Microsoft launched the first tablet PC in 2002. There was no iPad until 2010, but there were many tablets before either of these.

6. There are all kinds of cloud syncing services.

7. Cell phones have been around since 1973. On 3 April 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from handheld subscriber equipment, placing a call to Dr. Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs.

Apple didn't enter the cellphone market until 2007!

8. Apple did NOT invent the Postscript. Postscript is a computer language for creating vector graphics. It is a dynamically typed, concatenative programming language and was created at Adobe Systems by John Warnock, Charles Geschke, Doug Brotz, Ed Taft and Bill Paxton from 1982 to 1984. Apple's did launch the first Postscript compatible printer (LaserWriter), but did not invent Postscript.

9. Apple DID NOT invent the first commercially successful home computer. That trophy goes to the the Altair 8800,a microcomputer designed in 1974 by MITS and based on the Intel 8080 CPU. Interest grew quickly after it was featured on the cover of the January 1975 issue (published in late November 1974) of Popular Electronics, and was sold by mail order through advertisements there, in Radio-Electronics, and in other hobbyist magazines. The designers hoped to sell a few hundred build-it-yourself kits to hobbyists, and were surprised when they sold thousands in the first month. The Altair also appealed to individuals and businesses that just wanted a computer and purchased the assembled version. The Altair is widely recognized as the spark that ignited the microcomputer revolution as the first commercially successful personal computer.

The Apple 1 was launched in 1976 and only sold about 20 units in the first 9 or 10 months. Only 200 of these units were ever built.

He has no idea what usable means and no sense of tech history.

So no on all of the above. Everything in the list was invented and very usable before Apple got its hands on it. Heck, sonny, printers were around decades before Apple. Same with computers.

If you mean "usable" , when it comes to computers, to mean an easy operating system like Windows or MAC OS.. maybe you are right. Don't have to know a single DOS command.

BTW: Apple didn't invent the first operating system either. I started out with DOS (Disk Operating System). I don't know what came before that. All Microsoft and Apple did was make it possible for any idiot to operate a computer. Couple that with Plug and Play and a person doesn't have to have any idea how the thing works to use it. Even software installs itself.

:eek: His post is unusable. ::)

*Most details of what I posted were revealed in Google searches and not through personal intimate knowledge. However, I am old enough to know the entire "Apple invented everything remark was just absolutely false, and that Apple didn't invent first usable anything.* I watched many of these technological leaps come to life by reading magazines like Popular Electronics, etc. as a young man. Can anyone imagine actually reading? :)

On the topic: I would like to see back lit buttons.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jebrady03 said:
Some of the replies in this thread make it painfully obvious how many people are Canon-centric. The rumor states that the feature will be new to DSLR yet many are saying things like Auto-AFMA and illuminated buttons... :eek:

there are a good number of suggested features listed in this thread that would definitely be first in any DLSR ...

1.-4. illuminated Direct Print Button ... not in any camera so far
5. wireless radio flash [RT] commander built in ... not in any camera so far
6. Eye Control AF Mk. II ... not in any DLSR so far
7. Well implemented, fully automatic AFMA ... niot ina ny DSLR so far [Nikon counts as first *attempt* only]
8. Full Live-View overlay in OVF ... not in any DSLR so far [only in Sony SLTs]
9. USB 3.1 Gen 2 with type C connector .. not on any camera so far
10. Electronic global shutter [with extremely short X-sync & no rolling shutter] ... not in any DSLR so far
11. Integral Arca-compatible grooves on bottom and one side of camera body ... not in any DSLR so far
12. Sensible strap lugs as on EOS M (1) ... not seen on any DSLR so far
13. Voice commands ... not in any DSLR so far
14. Working DP-AF ... not in any DLSR [Canon so far only counts as first *attempt*]
15. and then some!

Go, stupid Canon ... IMPLEMENT!

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
Given some of Canon's claims of "new and improved" things in the past I am skeptical about what it could be, probably something that is a "first" but hardly something that is a big deal to most DSLR users. I mean there are plenty of little "nice to haves" which are very insignificant but still something you could market as "a first".

Hope to be wrong and it's something great but I'm not holding my breath. It's probably something another company already does with a minor tweak (ala Apple/Android style lol) or something ML already did.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanonFanBoy said:
vscd said:
ccardona54 said:
jebrady03 said:
Is this a first in DSLR's? Or a "first"... like how Apple claims to have invented everything?

Apple DID invent everything: a usable computer, usable printer (Postscript), usable music player, usable internet-in-your-pocket device, usable tablet, usable Dick Tracy watch, usable music/movie downloads. OK, they're working on usable cloud-synching, you got me there!

You know the difference between inventing and making something usable, based on existing inventions?

No, he doesn't have any idea at all.

Oh, give the guy a break. He probably just confused the word 'invented' with the word 'perfected'. Oh, snap. ;)

Then again, maybe it was just a typo... :p

Upvote 0
+1 for Eye Control Focusing, had the EOS 50E then the EOS 3 and I loved it, felt harmonious and intuitive. Its been the only really noticable continual down-grade for me moving to digital some 10 years ago. I'm not planning to upgrade to the 5D IV, certainly not at launch, but that feature if combined with some noticeable sensor improvements would have me reaching for the credit card almost straight away!

Upvote 0