A Canon RF 16-28mm f/2L USM is coming [CR1]

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
Hi all, I'm interested in this lens but will be upgrading from an APS-C camera using a 10-22mm with f4-5.6 max aperture. I can see the utility of having f2 in low light settings for different conditions. Wondering if anyone had experience shooting f2 on full-frame:

1. For those who shoot landscapes on F2, how often do you find yourself shooting wide open? (such that F2.8 felt insufficient)
  2. And speculation or first-hand experience on if the image quality at F2?
Any thoughts would tremendously helpful to choosing between this lens and 15-35 RF F2.8. Thanks!
I’ve shot full frame at f/2 (and wider) plenty, typically not landscapes though; I usually shoot around f/5.6 or f/6.3.

My speculation is that the image quality will be just fine.

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
Sep 9, 2014
I want to see something like this. I shoot a lot of floor gymnastics and 70 is too long when the gymnasts come up close to you. You can crop on the long end so you don't need 200mm
Try the new Tamron 35-150mm f/2.8-4.0 VC OSD for FF (35mm equivalent FOV ~ 56-240mm). Or, for (APS-C) crop sensors the Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8 (35mm equivalent FOV ~ 80-160mm). Both are very good performers. Caveats: the Sigma has no weather sealing the Tamron does have weather sealing and VC (vibration control: same as Canon's "IS" and Sigma's "OS").

LSXPhotog

EOS RP
Apr 2, 2015
www.diossiphotography.com
This could be a very interesting lens for astro, so that would be a really cool prospect. I already know this lens isn't for my taste and needs, but renting one for an astro trip if it's low on coma and vignette would be awesome. The potential for the most incredible portrait zoom ever created is where I'm anxious...having two bodies with a 28-70 f/2 and a 70-135f/2 zoom would be simply game-changing for wedding photographers....I know that if that ends up being the combo, I will be buying both of them.

• Love
Reactions: CanonFanBoy

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
This could be a very interesting lens for astro, so that would be a really cool prospect. I already know this lens isn't for my taste and needs, but renting one for an astro trip if it's low on coma and vignette would be awesome. The potential for the most incredible portrait zoom ever created is where I'm anxious...having two bodies with a 28-70 f/2 and a 70-135f/2 zoom would be simply game-changing for wedding photographers....I know that if that ends up being the combo, I will be buying both of them.
Don’t you think that 135mm at the longer end will be a bit limiting at the longer end? Especially for a relatively distant shots where you do not have option for being at a closer proximities to your subject? I am asking as from an event photography perspective, 135mm is definitely a limiting factor. Around 15% of my shots are in135-200mm range.

LSXPhotog

EOS RP
Apr 2, 2015
Don’t you think that 135mm at the longer end will be a bit limiting at the longer end? Especially for a relatively distant shots where you do not have option for being at a closer proximities to your subject? I am asking as from an event photography perspective, 135mm is definitely a limiting factor. Around 15% of my shots are in135-200mm range.
I'm not sure I know what you're asking, but I shoot 100% of my portraits from 35, 50, 85, 135mm. I've never felt the need to shoot a portrait from a distance longer than this personally and it's not commonly considered "portrait" distances.

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
I'm not sure I know what you're asking, but I shoot 100% of my portraits from 35, 50, 85, 135mm. I've never felt the need to shoot a portrait from a distance longer than this personally and it's not commonly considered "portrait" distances.
My apologies, i should have explained the use case better than i did. I was more so thinking along an events as in PJ, candid, run and gun stuff, concerts, theatrical, larger venues where you see a need to reach across and zoom in on your subject from a far without being a distraction... from a portraiture perspective, 28-135mm range is certainly a perfect fit.

Reactions: LSXPhotog

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Hoping for a 70-135 f/2L zoom myself. BTW: Loved your write up about the EF 24-105 f/4L II (I?) several months ago. Very nice photos of cars were with it. Your write up encouraged me a great deal to get the RF 24-105 f/4L when I ordered my R. You proved the EF version doesn't deserve all the bad written about it. Just goes to show that MTF charts, while they might be of some value, are not always the determiner of what is good or bad. Actual use and results in the hands of a master mean more. Your work is beautiful and makes me aspire to get better.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LSXPhotog

LSXPhotog

EOS RP
Apr 2, 2015
Hoping for a 70-135 f/2L zoom myself. BTW: Loved your write up about the EF 24-105 f/4L II (I?) several months ago. Very nice photos of cars were with it. Your write up encouraged me a great deal to get the RF 24-105 f/4L when I ordered my R. You proved the EF version doesn't deserve all the bad written about it. Just goes to show that MTF charts, while they might be of some value, are not always the determiner of what is good or bad. Actual use and results in the hands of a master mean more. Your work is beautiful and makes me aspire to get better.
Wow, well thank you very very much. I am really glad I helped you make your decision on that lens because it's truly underrated. I have been putting the new RF version hard to work and I'm beyond thrilled with its performance as well...it's sharper, better controlled for distortion, and has even better control of aberrations than any of it's previous siblings.

Took this photo Friday night.
FB_IMG_1564238424726.jpg

• Love
Reactions: CanonFanBoy

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Wow, well thank you very very much. I am really glad I helped you make your decision on that lens because it's truly underrated. I have been putting the new RF version hard to work and I'm beyond thrilled with its performance as well...it's sharper, better controlled for distortion, and has even better control of aberrations than any of it's previous siblings.

Took this photo Friday night.
View attachment 185829
Very nice!