A Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM is on the way [CR2]

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
the new RF 2,8 300 has the problem, that it doesn`t fit on my EOS 1DX II - but my old EOS EF 2,8 300 fits on the new R-line with an adapter.So if I have a fail with the R-line body, I shoot my sports furthermore with my 1dxII and the old 2,8 300 - but this is impossible with a r-line lens...

Yeah that’s my beef with this lens. I’d only be able to use it with one body and not with two.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Maybe it got some lenses what move and can change flange distance? . Then that TC patent picture would make sense
No idea if its possible make without losing image quality.
but you never know what canon can do :)
Changing flange distance and tc could be fully automated ,you just turn zoom ring 300-450-600 .like normal zoom lense :)

100-400mm works good as ''macro'' but RF 300 with 2x would give better reach if focusing to 1meter too
i wonder if they make new 100-400 too ,f5,6 is slightly diffraction affected with 32mpixel crop,if it matters any
RF or EF 100-400mm f4,8?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the new RF 2,8 300 has the problem, that it doesn`t fit on my EOS 1DX II - but my old EOS EF 2,8 300 fits on the new R-line with an adapter.So if I have a fail with the R-line body, I shoot my sports furthermore with my 1dxII and the old 2,8 300 - but this is impossible with a r-line lens...

Maybe an RF->FE adapter will come along. I'm using my 300 f/2.8 on my Sony A9 with good success even with 2x TC.

Upvote 0
except that patent application is the exact opposite of what you are wanting. they state they want a switchable teleconverter WITHOUT adding the bulk to each super telephoto.

It was given as an alternative, as on the one hand switching between external teleconverters increases the chances of dust or moisture entering the camera or lens, and on the other hand adding a built in teleconverter such as the 200-400 (read: Canon has already gone this path once) increases the bulk of the lens. Also, having a two-for external teleconverter allows it to be sold as an additional item to work with existing lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
and on the other hand adding a built in teleconverter such as the 200-400 (read: Canon has already gone this path once) increases the bulk of the lens.

There's not a lot of bulk to the extender in the 200-400, just a bulge. It doesn't make it longer than it would have been without it because the 1.4x optics are inserted in the void ahead of the final mount elements:

Canon-EF-200-400mm-f-4-L-IS-Lens-Element-Diagram.jpg

The Nikon 200-400 is 358mm long, the Canon with internal 1.4x is 374mm.

Given that RF lenses have a extra 20mm+ of void with a supertele, they could probably fit a 2x section in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
If they can make FE -> Z adapters with 2mm difference in flange distance, they can also make RF -> FE adapters. But not the other way round.

The big challenge isn't the flange distance but the RF protocols, which are by all accounts far more advanced than the EF protocols from 1986. Building something that can even tell an RF lens to change aperture would be impressive on its own. A 'metabones' style RF->FE autofocus adaptor seems like utter fantasy to me.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The more I hear of all the ideas and possibilities the more I see $$$$ and people talking about selling kidneys.;)

Some time back, shooting every day for hours, mostly with 2X attached I often wished I could quickly get down to 560 from 800. Right now at least, there is no zoom option that would allow what I'm enjoying at 800 so going 100-400, as appealing as it is, is not a step I've taken. A higher resolution sensor can accomplish post processing zoom but it doesn't do anything for spot focus accuracy or visibility at the time of shooting.

In other words, with the 400 DO II I'd be thrilled to have a switchable TC! Including X1 seems out of the question but as others have said that would be crazy good. :p

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
zoom tubes got nearly half more lenses. 200-400 got lot of metal
View attachment 185308View attachment 185309
Not denying any of it, plus its different use. I am just stating the facts that make it not practical for my needs. And true, if the same methods (embedded tele) were used in fixed teles the resulting weight would be more tolerable.

Upvote 0