A couple of EOS R cameras that can be considered “pro” are in the pipeline [CR1]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
"We’re told that there is a general feeling professional sports shooters (and other professional EOS-1D shooters) will be the last to embrace mirrorless cameras across the board"
Pro sports shooters? Both of them switched to the Sony A9 last I heard.;)

Seriously, an R with a joystick, two cards and an ISO button would be all I need.
They're certainly not as large of a piece of the marketplace as they used to be. There are too many wealthy "semi-pro" enthusiasts willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear and then shoot for peanuts, if not for nothing, just to have access to games. It's worse now than it was back in 2015 when this was written:

What Killed Editorial Sports Photography?: You’ve Got To Hustle As A Sports Shooter These Days

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
They're certainly not as large of a piece of the marketplace as they used to be. There are too many wealthy "semi-pro" enthusiasts willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear and then shoot for peanuts, if not for nothing, just to have access to games. It's worse now than it was back in 2015 when this was written:

What Killed Editorial Sports Photography?: You’ve Got To Hustle As A Sports Shooter These Days
That was a depressing article by pros. So, the market is being driven by wealthy and not so wealthy amateurs.

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
https://ymcinema.com/2019/05/06/canon-cinema-business-shows-17-drop-in-sales/

After ALL that Canon have done to protect their precious little cinema eos system -- this happens ?? LMAO.
Right in the middle of the graphic at your link:

Note: Businesses such as broadcast equipment and cinema use video cameras that were included in Imaging System were reclassified to industry and Other.

These numbers do not even include cinema cameras any more.

I agree, however, a full frame 7D is... 1Dx. And making an APC-S R camera? Isn't it a step toward the M's?

Crazy idea, but worth thinking about, Take the 7D body (for the ergonomics) place a mirrorless system (to replace the mirror, pentaprism etc) and you have a nice room for IBIS (5 axis if you like), and you get the best of all worlds, ergonomics already made (perfect as far as I can see it) and mirrorless. The only problem is that you can't call it 7R for obvious seasons. 7D-R?
R7. Canon had no qualms about putting the EOS 1D up against Nikon's D1 back in the day.

"Very poor"...it was better than the competition when it was released. People bang on it in retrospect because soon after its release Nikon released new APS-C cameras that legitimately did do better at high ISO and of course had better DR(oning). But for the time and sensor size the 7D wasn't bad at either. And low ISO detail was very, very good.

On the day of its release though it was better than Nikon's offerings in all respects.
On the day of its release the 7D sensor wasn't even as good as the one in the 50D I replaced with the 7D.

Translation: you could pixel peep to a higher magnification than your previous camera.

Really, people should have to take a class and pass a test before being able to unlock 100% viewing in image editors.

Funny I didn't have that problem.
Forget pixel peeping. You can see the low ISO noise in the sky when viewing the entire image downsized to fit a 24" monitor. Viewing images from the 7D next to images from the 50D, much less the 5D Mark II, when both were displayed at the same size was very telling.

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
That was a depressing article by pros. So, the market is being driven by wealthy and not so wealthy amateurs.
Once the world transitioned to digital, imaging was accessible to a much larger cohort. In addition, the demands of digital R&D meant that greater volumes of product needed to be moved to get the costs to a manageable level. The two curves met at what seemed to be very high prices initially but well heeled amateurs and news organizations paid for the early gear. As costs declined, more enthusiasts got into the game and news orgs were going broke. This has left the industry dependent on hobbyists and semi-pros that churn gear.
The latest drops in sales by the camera manufacturers represent the saturation of the market. The gear sold in the last few years have reached sufficiency and many owners of new gear are realizing their last purchases did not transport them to the promised land and feel (rightfully) that the newest intros will unlikely do it either.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
Oh yes, I have said many times the non pro posters here have more valuable and modern equipment than most of the actual working pros I know.

My best pro friend shoots competitive college level sports, he is regularly displaced, teams are very limited in their pass allocations, by another friend who tunes the piano for the band but has all the latest gear and shoots for free for access. Only a fool believes their is a business model as a traditional pro sports shooter now, or has been for quite some time.

Reactions: kaihp

TAF

EOS RP
Feb 26, 2012
Oh yes, I have said many times the non pro posters here have more valuable and modern equipment than most of the actual working pros I know.

My best pro friend shoots competitive college level sports, he is regularly displaced, teams are very limited in their pass allocations, by another friend who tunes the piano for the band but has all the latest gear and shoots for free for access. Only a fool believes their is a business model as a traditional pro sports shooter now, or has been for quite some time.
With all due respect to the pro, if the team is satisfied with the results from the free piano tuner guy such that they use him instead of the pro, then either the team has low expectations and is more concerned with cost, or said pro needs to up his game.

Because we know that the equipment doesn’t matter that much, right?