A couple of EOS R cameras that can be considered “pro” are in the pipeline [CR1]

I do not get the point of this post.

(sorry, couldn't resist! ;) )

---

Actually, there IS NO POINT to my posts other than to show MORE of the ULTIMATE Vancouver Hamburger (See above photo!) ..... AND .... YES I ate that !!!
AND ... to show that smart phones and other low end gear CAN take decent photos if you know what you're looking for!
Like OTHERS have said on this website, the BEST CAMERA is the one you HAVE with you at this very moment!
That said, SOMEONE very soon is coming out with a COMBINED medium format sensor, 50 megapixel Stills and DCI 8K 60 fps/DCI 4K 120 fps video at 16 bits per colour channel Monster-of-a-Camera ...AND... that SOMEONE is gonna surprise a WHOLE LOTTA PEOPLE!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The 7D brought the newer User Interface and Ergonomics that the 5DIII had. Although it only had 19 AF points...It paved the way for the later 61 point AF system. It's only weakness was the very poor sensor. Other than that the 7D was truly a revolution for Canon. It allowed the 5DIII and 1Dx (which were developed in tandem) to trail blaze the mk4, 7DII and 1DxII.
I'm guessing flipping the 7Dx' line over to the RF system, Canon will use (what every they decided to call it) it to add development $$$ to the RF range. A continuous AF system that actually works and can cope with a high frame rate...and improved ergos....we all know the RF line REALLY needs some decent ergonomics!
I agree, however, a full frame 7D is... 1Dx. And making an APC-S R camera? Isn't it a step toward the M's?

Crazy idea, but worth thinking about, Take the 7D body (for the ergonomics) place a mirrorless system (to replace the mirror, pentaprism etc) and you have a nice room for IBIS (5 axis if you like), and you get the best of all worlds, ergonomics already made (perfect as far as I can see it) and mirrorless. The only problem is that you can't call it 7R for obvious seasons. 7D-R?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Interesting to hear about the rumoured lower resolution action-oriented camera which is not a 1Dxii replacement. Maybe that is being aimed at the market much like the EOS R was to the 5D IV - a reasonable, lower priced camera which can aptly serve as a backup without the higher investment expected of the DLSR cousin. I've always felt that the R was targeted as a second body for someone with a 5D IV - same sensor, close to same performance, 2/3rds price - something to create a foot hold to start transitions to R series cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
P.S. Do remember to goto FULL SCREEN so you see the ENTIRE photo because the initial CanonRumors photo display page CUTS OFF the bottom and top part of the photos.

I picked the one with the white ferry, I went full-screen. I went to 100% and saw how the trees smoshed into a green oil-painting mess with no detail. I closed the tab.

I did the same with the one of the Harbour Air Turbo-Otter landing. The aircraft itself is blurred due to motion. A sellable shot would be a shutter speed of around 1/60 to 1/80 and pan with the aircraft to give a nice blurred background for dramatic speed. Try that on the smartphone.

Generally they are nice compositions and well-exposed. But shooting on a tiny sensor with a 2mm plastic lens is throwing away your artistic skill. You deserve better outputs than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting to hear about the rumoured lower resolution action-oriented camera which is not a 1Dxii replacement. Maybe that is being aimed at the market much like the EOS R was to the 5D IV - a reasonable, lower priced camera which can aptly serve as a backup without the higher investment expected of the DLSR cousin. I've always felt that the R was targeted as a second body for someone with a 5D IV - same sensor, close to same performance, 2/3rds price - something to create a foot hold to start transitions to R series cameras.
I don't know about calling it a lower resolution. The current 7DII is 10 fps @ 20.3 mp. Giving a data throughput of 203mp/sec. The jump between generations / Digic processors is usually a 1.4x bump in performance, although Canon don't always pass this on to it's consumers. So a 7DIII could easily yield 285 mp/sec. At 10 fps...that's a 28mp sensor.
That's not far off the 5D4 resolution...and at 10 fps. The 7D and 1D of the same generation usually get the same mp...so we could see a 28mp sports sensor resolution coming. A mirrorless 10 fps 28mp and a 1DxIII 16fps with the same resolution.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't know about calling it a lower resolution. The current 7DII is 10 fps @ 20.3 mp. Giving a data throughput of 203mp/sec. The jump between generations / Digic processors is usually a 1.4x bump in performance, although Canon don't always pass this on to it's consumers. So a 7DIII could easily yield 285 mp/sec. At 10 fps...that's a 28mp sensor.
That's not far off the 5D4 resolution...and at 10 fps. The 7D and 1D of the same generation usually get the same mp...so we could see a 28mp sports sensor resolution coming. A mirrorless 10 fps 28mp and a 1DxIII 16fps with the same resolution.

The R does 8fps @ 30mp, so a single digic 8 can do 240mp/s. Canon tends to use 2 or 3 of them when high throughput is needed (7D2, 1DX2, 5Dsr) or run it faster as a '+' version (5D4).
I think a dual digic 8 or a single 8+ could hit the 285mp/s you mention. I wonder what the digic 9 will bring, I'm hoping for DPAF in all video modes and better eye tracking.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hope Canon does no repeat what they did with their sensors with EOS R and RP.
R ---> 5D mkIV sensor
RP --> 6D mk II sensor
RX --> 1D X mk II sensor?
RS --> 5DS sensor?

As there are these rumors about new sensors, this does not seem to be probable, however logical it may seem.

For the RS they'd need a new sensor, the 5Ds doesn't have the dual pixel architecture, the 5D4, 6D2 and 1DX2 do have that already.

Upvote 0
Really? Not here in the UK. Most sports photogs are using Canon or Nikon Pro DSLR bodies. It must be a tiny slice of the number of pros who are migrating. I'd guess a few freelancers who buy their own kit. Sony doesn't have the pro dealer support and the press agencies (who usually buy the kit) are all tied up in Canon or Nikon supply contracts.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The R does 8fps @ 30mp, so a single digic 8 can do 240mp/s. Canon tends to use 2 or 3 of them when high throughput is needed (7D2, 1DX2, 5Dsr) or run it faster as a '+' version (5D4).
I think a dual digic 8 or a single 8+ could hit the 285mp/s you mention. I wonder what the digic 9 will bring, I'm hoping for DPAF in all video modes and better eye tracking.
I belive Canon must have found a way to improve their throughput based on the rumors about the new sensors we've heard rumors about recently.

If 285 is the best they could manage, a 70 MP high res R would be capped at 4 FPS! And all rumors we've seen of that sensor indicated that the resolution would be above 70 MP.

The most recent new sensor design we've seen from Canon is in the 6D II from 2017 right? And before that it was the 5D IV in 2016? Since the 6D II eveidently didn't use all the same technology already, is it that unreasonable to assume Canon might have actually focussed on getting the production capaibilities for a newer generation of sensors ready in the more than 2 years since the 5D IV release?

Upvote 0
Sounds like a long wait for a decent mirrorless offering. Too long for many.

Sadly after 10 years with Canon I'm now exploring other options. I'm stalling because of a major investment with EF glass. If I do make a switch, I will miss Canon ergonomics. Their bodies fit my hand perfectly.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0