A few more images of the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM leak out ahead of this week’s announcement

I've always heard those 3rd partly lenses, particularly Sigma, don't have the AF performance of the native Canon L lenses....is this still true?

I can't speak with the older third party lenses but I heard that was an issue but all the recent Art series and Tamron lenses have match or exceed L lenses for me.

I've paired it with Canon 5D IV and EOS R and it works really well. I've tested Sigma 85 1.4, 135 1.8, 105 1.4, Sigma 14-24 2.8, Tamron 15-30 2.8 IS.

I'm confident enough to replace my Canon 24-70 2.8 II & 70-200 2.8 II IS if they design FF mirrorless lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
At this price point it better be a focus king in addition to a bokeh king. I was massively disappointed by the Servo AF on my Canon 35 f/1.4 L II. It's worthless when it comes to tracking in Servo mode. If this new 85mm is the same I won't be buying/keeping it. Fact is my Sigma 85mm Art tracks very well and the camera's Servo AF seems to work properly and make sense with that lens. As soon as I put the Canon 35L II on the camera Servo AF goes to shit and it won't reliably track faces with either Phase Detect or DPAF.

It's a sad story but Canon's once formidable lead in AF technology is nothing but a memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Park Cameras in the UK listing the lens at £ 2,799 way over my personal price point no matter how good it is. I can only imagine the DS version will be £ 2,999 thats an awful lot of money for a fixed prime unless your a high end professional or a rental company.
We have all been spoiled by the cheaper (developed a long time ago) EF lenses. Give it a year for the fuss and early adopters to forget about this lens and the price will drop dramatically.
In the mean time....my ef 85mm f1.2 L on my 5DIII's is working great and flawlessly as it has since I bought the lens new nearly 10 years ago.

Upvote 0
What do you expect with
At this price point it better be a focus king in addition to a bokeh king. I was massively disappointed by the Servo AF on my Canon 35 f/1.4 L II. It's worthless when it comes to tracking in Servo mode. If this new 85mm is the same I won't be buying/keeping it. Fact is my Sigma 85mm Art tracks very well and the camera's Servo AF seems to work properly and make sense with that lens. As soon as I put the Canon 35L II on the camera Servo AF goes to shit and it won't reliably track faces with either Phase Detect or DPAF.

It's a sad story but Canon's once formidable lead in AF technology is nothing but a memory.
What do you expect if you put an EF lens on an RF mount camera that has a notoriously poor servo mode focus? Servo mode focus works fine with this lens on a EF mount camera like a 5Dmk4. It's not the lens.
Go figure.

There's also the matter of what light levels you are trying to shoot in. The low EV value for focusing is always registered for single shot non servo mode.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

caMARYnon

EOS R
Mar 23, 2011

I'm surprised. This is not my experience with the EOS R + EF 35 f / 1.4 II. I had problems with the 5D mark III but not with R.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
I'm surprised. This is not my experience with the EOS R + EF 35 f / 1.4 II. I had problems with the 5D mark III but not with R.

Interesting! I did not state I used this lens on an R camera, in fact I used it on a 6D II. What I find odd is that my Sigma lens works great, particularly the tracking with phase detect AF that will change focus points to track something like a face moving around in the frame. Cameras that support this use the metering sensor to perform this trick. I guess not a lot of people use that type of focusing so they don't know what I'm talking about and assume its an R camera (with face detect) under discussion...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Interesting! I did not state I used this lens on an R camera, in fact I used it on a 6D II. What I find odd is that my Sigma lens works great, particularly the tracking with phase detect AF that will change focus points to track something like a face moving around in the frame. Cameras that support this use the metering sensor to perform this trick. I guess not a lot of people use that type of focusing so they don't know what I'm talking about and assume its an R camera (with face detect) under discussion...

Interesting, I didn't know that existed.....I'll have to check my old 5D3 and see if it does that....

C

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
At this rate there's going to be a huge gulf between Canon's EOS-M lenses and RF lenses. Which manufacturer will fill the gap? Seems with Canon's obsession with $3000 perfection there's a gap for Tamron to get in with 1.8 VC lenses at reasonable ( e.g. affordable by average wedding shooter ) prices.
Just like the gulf between M and L... only bigger. Canon will fill the gap, eventually, with non-L, RF lenses... along with others, I think. ;)

Upvote 0