A few more images of the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM leak out ahead of this week’s announcement

For $2799 to purchase RF 85mm f/1.2 lens. NO WAY, I will not be surprised no one wants to spend that kind of price. The RF lenses will cost double over the EF lenses. What is more, I learned from a few people shared with me that they have a problem with RF lenses. Also a problem with R camera body too. Due to rush designed and hit the market without through quality control because Nikon already advanced into the market.

Canon has a long history of behavior with replacement parts. When they stopped make camera body or lens then the replacement parts automatic as discontinued. They will not sell the parts and encourage you to buy a new one.

One of my former EF lenses stopped working. Then I contacted Canon about the lens problem. They said, "Sorry we cannot repair that lens because of it obsolete as replacement parts were no longer available." I was in shock about this incident because my lens was only six years old with history around 229 shots. Fortunately, I fixed my lens as discovered bad soldered joint behind the rear end. I reheated solder joints at the same spot. The lens is working again.

My Canon EOS 1N RS body had a problem due found a cracked plastic part. Unfortunately, nothing surprise as Canon does not have the replacement part available. The part department said the only way for me to get the replacement part through eBay. Obviously, to buy $400 non-working camera to get the part that worth about a few bucks. I took the cracked part to create a duplicate by lathe and mill machines with a metal material. Bingo, I succeed duplicated and will not crack. My old EOS 1N RS, film-based camera work again with my Sigma ART lenses.

Of course, it took my time to make new parts. I am no longer trust with Canon. My opinion as for Nikon will be lead in photography as they provide both mirror-based and non-mirror-bases camera bodies. I also thank my friend who was a former Certified Canon technician. He fixed my Canon F-1 with new parts from my lathe and mill machines. It works perfectly now.

Canon should have continued to provide everyone with well-stocked replacement parts and support vintage cameras and lenses because the film already came back into the market again. My profession based on both films and digitals photography included Hasselblad V series.

Let Canon fall into the black hole. We still have Nikon that they provide excellent customer support.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Let Canon fall into the black hole. We still have Nikon that they provide excellent customer support.

Nikon, who refuse to SELL replacement parts to independent repair shops? Sure, you can go onto their website and order a new battery door. But anything internal is sewn-up in a repair cartel.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Wow! I work predominantly in sports, where this ought to be of little use, however, my 85 1.2 II EF quickly became my favourite lens - truly magnificent (albeit slow autofocus). The RF will contain 13 years newer technology and know-how, so ought to be at the very top of the pile where performance is concerned. As always, it's horses for courses... I have some lovely Sigma lenses, but would not swap this EF for anything else.

Upvote 0
I think you're getting value for money though. The RF 50mm f/1.2 makes you want to throw the EF 50's in the trash. 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, I shot them a lot and regret every minute in retrospect, knowing what real sharpness looks like. the RF 50's competition is the 55/1.4 Otus and 50 APO-Summicron, which are far more expensive as well as not having the aperture. The Sigma Art is excellent but not this good.

The RF50's 30lp/mm (black lines) sharpness in the center and corners is better than the EF50 1.2's at 10lp/mm (blue lines). You could call that 3x sharper linearly, or about 10x sharper in area terms.

The same is true vs. the 50mm f/1.8: wide open, despite bringing another stop, the RF is 10x sharper in the corners.

sAnd the 50/1.4 wide open was softer than the 50/1.8 wide open, so the RF is more than 10x sharper than the 1.4 despite an additional 1/3 stop.

I don't think we've ever seen such an improvement in sharpness. And since it's less than 10x more expensive, it's arguably cheaper per resolution point!

View attachment 184411

Looking at the lens designs, the new RF85 is quite similar to the EF50. Neither are double-Gauss like the EF f/1.2's. I'm guessing the performance will likewise be phenomenal.

View attachment 184410View attachment 184412
No...the ef 50mm f1.2 L lens is reason I'd want to throw the Ef 50mm f1.2 L lens in the trash can...I've had three of them and they were ALL soft. It's inherent to the design...Canon simply dropped the ball on this one. It's easy for Canon to make a superior RF lens because the bar was so low with the EF version. Given the right motivation...Canon could easily have mad a mkII EF version that was nearly as good.

Looking at this new RF 85mm f1.2 L block chart...looks like a lot of great technologies going on in there...but it's still a modified Gaussian optic design...just like the old ef 85mm f1.2 II L was. I'm sure the release price will be reflecting the new RF R&D department's premium...it's a state of the art lens for sure and it'll be priced accordingly.

I also can't help wonder if the long awaited ef 135mm f2.0 IS L lens has been shelved to make way or a more lucrative and expensive RF version.

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Looking at the lens designs, the new RF85 is quite similar to the EF50. Neither are double-Gauss like the EF f/1.2's. I'm guessing the performance will likewise be phenomenal.

Just for fun, these are the calculated MTF charts of the 4 Canon 85 mm lenses (from Canon's website) put next to each other:

No doubt that the RF lens will be phenomenal. Note also the difference to the very good EF 85 mm f/1.4 L IS USM, and this with the RF at f/1.2 vs the EF at f/1.4.

• Love
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
For $2799 to purchase RF 85mm f/1.2 lens. NO WAY, I will not be surprised no one wants to spend that kind of price. The RF lenses will cost double over the EF lenses. What is more, I learned from a few people shared with me that they have a problem with RF lenses. Also a problem with R camera body too. Due to rush designed and hit the market without through quality control because Nikon already advanced into the market.

Canon has a long history of behavior with replacement parts. When they stopped make camera body or lens then the replacement parts automatic as discontinued. They will not sell the parts and encourage you to buy a new one.

One of my former EF lenses stopped working. Then I contacted Canon about the lens problem. They said, "Sorry we cannot repair that lens because of it obsolete as replacement parts were no longer available." I was in shock about this incident because my lens was only six years old with history around 229 shots. Fortunately, I fixed my lens as discovered bad soldered joint behind the rear end. I reheated solder joints at the same spot. The lens is working again.

My Canon EOS 1N RS body had a problem due found a cracked plastic part. Unfortunately, nothing surprise as Canon does not have the replacement part available. The part department said the only way for me to get the replacement part through eBay. Obviously, to buy $400 non-working camera to get the part that worth about a few bucks. I took the cracked part to create a duplicate by lathe and mill machines with a metal material. Bingo, I succeed duplicated and will not crack. My old EOS 1N RS, film-based camera work again with my Sigma ART lenses.

Of course, it took my time to make new parts. I am no longer trust with Canon. My opinion as for Nikon will be lead in photography as they provide both mirror-based and non-mirror-bases camera bodies. I also thank my friend who was a former Certified Canon technician. He fixed my Canon F-1 with new parts from my lathe and mill machines. It works perfectly now.

Canon should have continued to provide everyone with well-stocked replacement parts and support vintage cameras and lenses because the film already came back into the market again. My profession based on both films and digitals photography included Hasselblad V series.

mate, you forgot to take your medication today. Your wife just called me and asked to let you know. just saying..

• Haha
Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
I was considering picking up a 35/1.4L II after disappointing experiences with both the Tamron 35/1.8 and Sigma 35/1.4, but something that gives me pause (aside from the massive price increase!) is that I've heard the 35/1.4L II has worse bokeh than the mark i due to the BR. Have you found this to be the case? Anyone compared bokeh on the 2 lenses?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Sigma & Tamron are already filling those gap left from Canon, Sony, Nikon. For 1/2-2/3 the price, you can get close to similar performance or exceed it. Sigma have alot of 1.4 Art lenses.

I have no doubt Canon 85 1.2 RF will be a great lens, but it just a diminish return buying expensive lenses.

I've always heard those 3rd partly lenses, particularly Sigma, don't have the AF performance of the native Canon L lenses....is this still true?

Upvote 0