A Focus Peaking Patent from Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Canon has <a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-11-04">published a patent</a> for focus peaking, a feature some feel has been omitted from Canon DSLRs in live view mode. You can get focus peaking in a Canon DSLRs if you use <a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/">magic lantern</a>.</p>
<p>Patent Publication No. 2016-158106 (<a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-11-04">Google Translated</a>)</p>
<ul>
<li>Published 2016.9.1</li>
<li>Filing date 2015.2.24</li>
<li>To get the distance information of the object</li>
<li>To generate a waveform image showing the degree of focusing of the object based on the high-frequency component</li>
<li>To vary the color of the waveform</li>
</ul>
<p>Wouldn’t it be nice if this could be added to the EOS 5D Mark IV via firmware?</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
This is a must for correct focus with manual focus lenses and my older eyes.

This feature alone is one of the biggest assets to using Sony A7 series that have offered focus peaking for as long as I can remember and there are even options for different colors to 'peak' with.

This is very exciting news and I very much look forward to adding this feature to my Canon bodies.

Thank you Canon!

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2014
That patent looks like it is for something a bit more complicated than what people normally consider peaking. The list of attributes makes it look like a waveform monitor with changing colors for high frequency contrast detection and possibly a reporting of focus distance. Maybe? They already have something similar on the cinema line so I am guessing this isn't for a DSLR. But I can't read the patent, so who knows.

Of course, I'm guessing the entire point of this post was to attack Canon for not implementing peaking in any of their full frame cameras, and that is something I fully support.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
Canon has <a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-11-04">published a patent</a> for focus peaking, a feature some feel has been omitted from Canon DSLRs in live view mode. You can get focus peaking in a Canon DSLRs if you use <a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/">magic lantern</a>.</p>
<p>Patent Publication No. 2016-158106 (<a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-11-04">Google Translated</a>)</p>
<ul>
<li>Published 2016.9.1</li>
<li>Filing date 2015.2.24</li>
<li>To get the distance information of the object</li>
<li>To generate a waveform image showing the degree of focusing of the object based on the high-frequency component</li>
<li>To vary the color of the waveform</li>
</ul>
<p>Wouldn’t it be nice if this could be added to the EOS 5D Mark IV via firmware?</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

it's a patent application. it's years away.
::)

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
As noted above, this is only a patent and a firmware update could be 'light' years away. So true unfortunately. For those of you that need peaking now, you can attach a field monitor to your camera body via cable and clamp.

The field monitor I use occasionally is the SmallHD-DP6 which includes focus assist and focus peaking in addition to other great focus features.

When I say 'occasionally' I mean, when I want to carry another small bag and more LP-E6 batteries with me. This monitor has a hood, a good size screen and can be attached to any tripod via third party clamp. I bought one used several years ago for about $400 with accessories.

I'm not sure but I think CamRanger may have a peaking feature also but I'm not sure. CamRangers offer focus stacking and timelapse among other features for remote operation via iPhone or Ipad app.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
As noted above, this is only a patent and a firmware update could be 'light' years away. So true unfortunately. For those of you that need peaking now, you can attach a field monitor to your camera body via cable and clamp.

The field monitor I use occasionally is the SmallHD-DP6 which includes focus assist and focus peaking in addition to other great focus features.

When I say 'occasionally' I mean, when I want to carry another small bag and more LP-E6 batteries with me. This monitor has a hood, a good size screen and can be attached to any tripod via third party clamp. I bought one used several years ago for about $400 with accessories.

I'm not sure but I think CamRanger may have a peaking feature also but I'm not sure. CamRangers offer focus stacking and timelapse among other features for remote operation via iPhone or Ipad app.

Thanks for providing info to the forum for us video people. The SmallHD stuff is nice and the fact that it takes the LP-E6's is great.

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
This is a must for correct focus with manual focus lenses and my older eyes.

This feature alone is one of the biggest assets to using Sony A7 series that have offered focus peaking for as long as I can remember and there are even options for different colors to 'peak' with.

This is very exciting news and I very much look forward to adding this feature to my Canon bodies.

Thank you Canon!

As noted earlier, this is already available in the M3 but canon chose not to make it available for other dslr bodies.

Upvote 0
Egami says in his commentary that the problem with focus peaking is that it relies on high frequencies and that this can result in inaccuracies as the highlighted area may have little to do with sharpness. To overcome this difficulty, Canon have come up with a PDAF based form of focus peaking in order to improve on accuracy.

Upvote 0
Sator said:
Egami says in his commentary that the problem with focus peaking is that it relies on high frequencies and that this can result in inaccuracies as the highlighted area may have little to do with sharpness. To overcome this difficulty, Canon have come up with a PDAF based form of focus peaking in order to improve on accuracy.

That would be brilliant. Peaking is not as accurate or reliable as it's hyped to be. We have it with ML and EOS M3 and A7II and it's just not perfect. Magnification is much more accurate at 1:1. So any peaking advancement is really good.

Upvote 0
Just to answer the question on the CamRanger... Yes, it does focus peaking and zebras. I use it a lot to control a remote camera over hawks' nests. Different prevailing winds cause the trees to move relative to one another, and the focus can be completely hosed by a change in wind direction. They are extremely handy.

One other plug for focus peaking.... you get a real sense of your depth of focus, and it makes you more conscientious about picking a aperture that respects your depth needs. I often knee-jerk to a more open aperture, and this shows me the bits of focus I'm cutting off. It's been an unintended training tool for me.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I would not expect to see this in the viewfinder of a 5D MK IV, 1D X II, or any other current DSLR simply because the viewfinder is not capable of showing those graphs below the image.

It could be added to liveview, but its real benefit is for viewing thru a viewfinder.

So, the best bet is for a EVF and that means hardware. A future mirrorless might have it.

Attachments

• JPA_428158106_000008.gif
    JPA_428158106_000008.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
canonographer said:
Magic lantern already provides this functionality for Canon DSLRs, not only peaking, but zebras as well.

There is no reason for Canon not to add this for live view shooting at a minimum.

Further, if Magic Lantern can provide the functionality for existing DSLRs, there's no reason Canon couldn't also provide it as a firmware upgrade.
To protect its Cine line, 1d, 5d series...etc, Canon users deserve this.
8)

Upvote 0
Josh Denver said:
Sator said:

That would be brilliant. Peaking is not as accurate or reliable as it's hyped to be. We have it with ML and EOS M3 and A7II and it's just not perfect. Magnification is much more accurate at 1:1. So any peaking advancement is really good.

yeah, I tend to use the 2:1 (2x mag) live zoomed box when using Magic Lantern, that's what works super well

Upvote 0