A high-megapixel EOS R camera is still on the roadmap [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
While a lot of us, myself included expected to see a high-megapixel R replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R DSLRs to be coming next, that has turned out not to be the case. As we’re going to get the 45mp Canon EOS R5 next and then a Canon EOS R6 later on in the spring. We have no details on the announcement timeframe for another EOS R series camera. We were told that 4 new full-frame cameras were coming in 2020, so this may be one of them.

The source claims that the megapixel jump from the 50.6mp sensor in the EOS 5DS series will be “significant”. We’ve had rumors stating 70+ megapixels, but I get the feeling it could be much higher. Unfortunately, most everything rumored about this camera previously has proven incorrect. I would think if...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm still curious how the naming will work. I thought the R5 / R6 products' names being confirmed meant that:

1DX --> R1
5DS --> R2, R3, R4 or R5S
5D --> R5
R --> :poop: (RIP)​
6D --> R6
RP --> :poop: (RIP)​
7D --> R7 (might never happen, but at least it has a name collared for future assignment)

But CR Guy has implied that R6 isn't corresponding to the 6D slot -- it is likely more of an A7S sort of competitor. So I'm as interested as anyone on the hierarchy/nomenclature/pricing/positioning for all these new FF bodies.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
R3 - I do a repost from last wedensday from the R5/R6 post:

Nice if we are beginning to see a naming scheme that is makes sense (and are related to the old one). Makes perfect sense that "R" (that was between 5D and 6D series) will be superseded by an R5 and an R6. probably a R1 for pro-sports. Maybe a R7 (APS-C) for sports and maybe space for another APS-C (and RP style entry-level APS-C - to take over from 90D or Rebels) - who know - and R8 ? (I do believe in APS-C sensors for the "R" mount).
And then get rid of the "s", and make a high megapixel R5 and name it R3. (they never used the name 3D, probably because it means something else in the film world).

Well - just speculations and has nothing to do with the cameras - just the naming... - but fun to participate in the name-guessing game....

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
I'm still curious how the naming will work. I thought the R5 / R6 products' names being confirmed meant that:

1DX --> R1
5D --> R5
6D --> R6
7D --> R7 (might never happen, but at least it has a name collared for future assignment)

But CR Guy has implied that R6 isn't corresponding to the 6D slot -- it is likely more of an A7S sort of competitor. So I'm as interested as anyone on the hierarchy/nomenclature/pricing/positioning for all these new FF bodies.

- A
good guessing - and my quess is still that an R6 will fit in the 6D "slot" - somehow. (those tech slots are moving over time, as technology gives new possibilities for new slots in a productrange.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So with a high mp body like this shutter becomes a huge factor. Will shooting it at mRaw or sRaw get rid of that problem slightly or will the camera always require a higher shutter speeds (or strobes) to get tack sharp images etc
I thought IBIS helps. every current 42mp+ camera has ibis. Do they have problems with camera shake?

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
and agree on the very high mpix count; would differentiate it from the R5 and beat the A7rIV in terms of resolution

Honestly, lets not become one of those sony fan boys with the "my lens is bigger then your lens attitude. We're all grown ups here aren't we? Its honestly pointless for who's beating who with this. Thats kids kinda talk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1DX --> R1
5D --> R5
6D --> R6

- A

Everything makes sense, except R4.
R4 :eek: is impossible! :eek:

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/number-four-superstition/

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
From my understanding and from all these rumors since 5d mark iii I can say from my experience that Canon has a very standard way all these years to categorize their camera models. R5 is going to take the place of 5d4 w/o a mirror ofc. The same occupies to R6 which is going to take the place of 6d2 also. The R will get a lower price and remember my words, it is and will be a very good milc body for starters that want to invest in new canon's camera and lens system. The pricing for the new bodies i think its going to be for R6 between 2500-3000$ and for the R5 3500-4000$. Maybe 500$ less for both but it will be a surprise! As for the high megapixel camera its possible to see it in 2020 and maybe at next spring in 2021. Its already enough for Canon to shake the waters for good with 3 ff cameras in 2020 and finally enter in milc market. As for now, Canon with the launch of 1dx3 proves that i's going to the right direction. They will dominate in Olympics for sure. RS for me is for sure the moniker that high mp camera will get. R2, R3 or R4 is very unlikely for a ff body and not a good moniker for such a body. Call it intuition if you like but it its not a moniker for this camera... it doesn't sound well. Lastly if R6 is going to be a a7s alternative then the video specs should be more generous than R5 in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0