A Little Bit More About the New 70-200mm Lenses That Are Coming [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told by a unknown source that the two new 70-200mm L lenses are due to be announced next week. We previously reported that they’d be <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-canon-70-200mm-lenses-coming-in-early-june-cr3/">coming in early June</a>.</p>
<p>We’re also told from the same person that select journalists now have copies of both lenses in their hands. I’d expect the usual suspects to be testing these lenses for early hands-on reviews.</p>
<p>All that said, we do not have an exact announcement date for these two new L lenses, but we seem to now have a few people agreeing that they’re coming soon.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Chaitanya said:
If anyone is at Monaco GP there is a good chance some of the press might be using unreleased gear there. I remember Canon's 1Dx or Mk 2 was tested there.

How likely would it be that a 200mm lens would be used there?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
Chaitanya said:
If anyone is at Monaco GP there is a good chance some of the press might be using unreleased gear there. I remember Canon's 1Dx or Mk 2 was tested there.

100%. Surely they aren't just shooting the cars on the track. There are pit shots, environmental shots, celebration shots, crowd shots, etc. You can't do reportage and environmental stuff by just swiveling your 600 prime in the direction of the crowd -- you'd use a shorter lens.

- A

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
100%. Surely they aren't just shooting the cars on the track. There are pit shots, environmental shots, celebration shots, crowd shots, etc. You can't do reportage and environmental stuff by just swiveling your 600 prime in the direction of the crowd -- you'd use a shorter lens.

None of that sounds like it would justify them testing out a brand new lens.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

How is that any different than another big sporting event? You have top tier shooters and great subject matter, why then not use these? I felt that you were arguing for the sake of arguing there Ralph.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

Sure, I have no idea if that's a valuable FL for shooting racing -- I'm just saying someone is snapping away with a 70-200 somewhere around the track at that event.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

That was sort of my thought as well but I don’t want to belabor the point since I don’t shoot car races. Other sporting events I usually keep the 24-105 on the second body as it’s more versatile. I suppose though that at this point it’s not about testing the lens so much as it’s about giving the lens to people to shoot pictures for marketing, reviews etc.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A
sorry, but like others, i agree this is a retarded statement. 70-200 2.8 is #1 indoor sports action lens and as such, testing its proper abilities and reliability indoors is the only logical step. its focal length is almost optimal + succesful tracking fast/erratic moving subjects in basketball/handball/futsal is what it must endure.
practically any other lens can take a solid photo of a static crowd, pit shots or an environment for that matter.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
ahsanford said:
unfocused said:
Chaitanya said:

- A
This is probably the only race track where 600(anything longer than 400mm) lens doesnt get used as much as at other tracks. This track is narrow and press photographers are close to track and I have seen many just use 24-70mm and 70-200mm to cover their spots. Also this being the most glamorous race event of the year with a lot of celebrities attending the race, pretty sure it's a good reason for Canon or Nikon to test their new gear with press and get feedback before releasing the said photography/videography products.
Found the video, it was for the launch of 1Dx mark I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x79rQmdYhEA

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

Sure, I have no idea if that's a valuable FL for shooting racing -- I'm just saying someone is snapping away with a 70-200 somewhere around the track at that event.

- A

It's definitely a valuable FL. I believe they use everything from ultra wide angle to super telephoto. You can see UWA lenses used when they are celebrating just after they get out of their cars and celebrate with their teams members. Some photographers often stand barely a meter away from them. The other good reason for using 70-200 is .. the grid girls are back for Monaco GP :D

Upvote 0
whothafunk said:
sorry, but like others, i agree this is a retarded statement [on using a 70-200 for F1 shots]

Heh, using words like retarded? ??? Plenty of spots at Silverstone where 200mm is too long and you can't fit the car in the frame - and I was just a fan shooting from the public areas.

The 70-200 is ideal for so many of the other types of shots taken at F1 that I'm kind of confused as to why people are raising eyebrows at the suggestion. I wouldn't have added to the pointless debate but your calling it retarded is, well, you know.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Lots of years since I shot at an F1 event (late 1980's-early 90's - can't even remember the year - LOL). But used 70-200mm in the pits and during the grid line-up.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
unfocused said:
Chaitanya said:

- A
people... the setting... the hardware
and also...the action ... its all there..

it is small and light enough to be on a second camera ..while you do close/wide shots..on the man body..
and I must add...
I had the 70-200 f4 I.S. when I got the new 70-200 f2.8 II I.S.

MY copy of the f4 was a tad sharper.. in a few places..
I kept them both for quite a while.. because the very light f4 model was soooo ...handy..
I also used my Tam 1.4xTC pro model.. and it all was ...good..

a 16-35 f4 I.S. and the 70-200 f4 I.S. would make a wonderful (relatively) small kit
with optics .. that would ...deliver

I wonder what the heck the new one will have?... coatings... closer focus?
there were reports of a I.S. issue I think when shooting upwards... I never had it though...

we are all so spoiled with these great optics...
YAY!!

Upvote 0