A Little Bit More About the New 70-200mm Lenses That Are Coming [CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
sportskjutaren said:
siegsAR said:
They will be tested in Russia for sure...

If they will be officially released in early June.
There will for sure be "loaners" for accredited photographers to use.

I regret that my questions/comments sent this thread so far off the rails.

Let's be clear. Sportskjutaren if absolutely correct. These lenses are not being "tested" anywhere. There seems to be a lot of confusion between the original CR post statement that the lenses were being sent out to reviewers and the concept of testing.

At this stage, the lenses may be in the hands of reviewers like DPR, but they aren't being "tested" by Canon. Too late for that. Some professional photographers may have the lenses in hand, but at this point that's more likely marketing than any type of testing.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
TommyLee said:
a 16-35 f4 I.S. and the 70-200 f4 I.S. would make a wonderful (relatively) small kit
with optics .. that would ...deliver

we are all so spoiled with these great optics...
YAY!!

That's exactly what I am thinking. I look forward to seeing the specifications for the new f4 lens. I am looking for a lens to photograph wildflowers along bike trails. Maximum magnification with good working distance is what I am looking for. I love the 100-400II for that stuff when hiking for a few hours, but it's just too bulky for a day long bike ride.

Upvote 0
rbr said:
TommyLee said:
a 16-35 f4 I.S. and the 70-200 f4 I.S. would make a wonderful (relatively) small kit

YAY!!

That's exactly what I am thinking. I look forward to seeing the specifications for the new f4 lens. I am looking for a lens to photograph wildflowers along bike trails. Maximum magnification with good working distance is what I am looking for. I love the 100-400II for that stuff when hiking for a few hours, but it's just too bulky for a day long bike ride.

this is Betty and Frankie.. my wild pets..
from my window..
but...
I carried the f4 on my bike when I - either did not have the f 2.8 II yet...or it was too heavy..
I believe 2 of these (maybe all) are on 12mm tubes... at my feeder a few feet away..
been a while..
I miss that lens... almost as much as the 135 f2...

i currently want to SHRINK my collection..
the f4 70-200 is a thought...
but I believe for ME...it will be a 35 f1.4 II, a 100mm L macro... and maybe my 14L II
small...powerful set .... use as needed...
...I would take a cab..if stuff was too far away... haha..

we all struggle to get the right combo..
let's try everything.. and share our adventures...

love this forum

Tom

Attachments

• 197708 (1).jpg
    197708 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • 200169 (1).jpg
    200169 (1).jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 753050 (1).jpg
    753050 (1).jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Having previously had the EF 70-200mm f4L and now the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II the faster lens has some real benefits and in most circumstance is exceedingly sharp. Its not perfect however and given its price tag should be better. For example at close focus at 70mm it can suffer from chromatic aberration which shows up pronounced on edges between black & white which is not fully corrected in Lightroom, Ive had this issue a few times and not with just one example of the lens when shooting with the Canon 5DS.

It is however my favourite zoom for portraiture Im always more satisfied with portraits from this zoom than from the EF 24-70mm f2.8L II.

For me to change however to a MK III lens Canon would need to address the CAs or its simply not worth it.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Sounds like we should be hearing about some great glass this week. Both these lenses are already classics. I own and love the 70-200 II. Assuming the Canon is making improvements:
  • Lighter
  • 5 stop IS
  • It could be made slightly sharper (I know it is already great, but there is a small window for improvement)
  • Even faster AF
  • I've never used, but have heard the non-IS version had better bokeh. I've always loved the bokeh, but I like better too

I also own the 70-300L that I use as a compact travel lens. If the 70-200 III is lighter and even a bit smaller, I could see droping the 70-300L and traveling with the 70-200 III plus 1.4tc.

If they 24-105 II these lenses, I am not interested. If they sacrifice bokeh for more sharpness, I would not be interested in these lenses. Otherwise, good chance I'll make the switch.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
As I have said many times: 3rd version is nit fir you.... today. But you will want this lens in five years Many times I have written about the perceptual resolution and how it is related to the next Version of 5DS.

Of course not only. Having in mind that 5D4 is 30 megapixels we could expect that any newer camera would be with the higher pixel count or at least the same. So far the best lenses Canon offers are up to 33MPs.

That is why we are expecting some smashing great improvement towards sharpness, perhaps a little bit boost in the image IS and AF speeds and the new coating implemented.

As for the marketing and the Monaco event: Do you seriously consider that Canon isn’t ready with the marketing materials? That it will count on use of last minute images?

I was thoughth that your people here are serious.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
rbr said:
TommyLee said:

YAY!!

My walkabout kit is a 24-70F4 and a 70-200F4 IS. Yes, the F2.8 versions are a stop faster, but they are a heck of a lot heavier..... plus the 25-70 F4 has a macro mode.... It makes for a great kit at a reasonable weight with the unmounted lens slipping into a coat pocket.

Upvote 0