A Major New Cinema EOS Product Coming for NAB 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that a “major new product” will be coming from ahead of NAB 2018 in April. There were no details given beyond that.</p>
<p>However, we have heard various little bits of information from various people over the previous few months. An anamorphic lens, which has been rumored for quite some time should see the light of day for the show.</p>
<p>There also is also the obvious gap between the C300 Mark II and the C700.</p>

<p>We’ve only heard once that a new Cinema EOS DSLR is coming, but that is something we think is a long shot. There has been no mentions of a 4K mirrorless video focus mirrorless camera, and I think we can all agree that would be out of character for Canon.</p>
<p>I don’t think an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-developing-8k-cinema-eos-camera-120mp-dslr-8k-display/">8K camera from Canon</a> is coming in 2018.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 12, 2011
Etienne said:
A C100 Mark III would be nice ... but Sony will probably be on the FS5 mark V before Canon makes a decent C100

I'd love to see a 5DC or a 1DC Mark II. If they did the 1DCII (which they should not- a 5DC would sell better), then they should certainly include that recently patented flip up tilt screen. Both of these products are probably a pipe dream.

Upvote 0
We will likely continue to see cinema zoom lenses from Canon at NAB for the next few years, like the CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 and CN-E 70-200mm T4.4 lenses. These "cheap" offerings are purchased by both Canon and non-Canon body users and were well received. Possibly targeting users in this way is part of their cinema strategy?

I'd love to see a 5DC, but a 7DC or 70/80DC style camera may have a better chance. Full frame has it's purpose in video, but what many forget is the Cinema EOS line is a Super 35mm based sensor. (These are crop sensors.) Would not be far fetched to take one of those "old" sensors, repurpose into a smaller form-factor and continue to profit from the same R&D. Will it actually happen? Doubtful, but it would be like Canon to do something like that. And I'm sure would be crippled enough to anger people who want everything in one camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
bsbeamer said:
We will likely continue to see cinema zoom lenses from Canon at NAB for the next few years, like the CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 and CN-E 70-200mm T4.4 lenses. These "cheap" offerings are purchased by both Canon and non-Canon body users and were well received. Possibly targeting users in this way is part of their cinema strategy?

I'd love to see a 5DC, but a 7DC or 70/80DC style camera may have a better chance. Full frame has it's purpose in video, but what many forget is the Cinema EOS line is a Super 35mm based sensor. (These are crop sensors.) Would not be far fetched to take one of those "old" sensors, repurpose into a smaller form-factor and continue to profit from the same R&D. Will it actually happen? Doubtful, but it would be like Canon to do something like that. And I'm sure would be crippled enough to anger people who want everything in one camera.

I'd buy a 7DC if it had an efficient 4K codec, reasonable low-light capabilities and dynamic range (relative to the year 2017)- and it maintained Canon's excellent still image quality. That would at least take care of the Super 35mm 4K hybrid demand. But FF video is what got many excited about the 5DII, and I suspect many would get excited all over again if they implemented it well in a 4K 5DC body. What they will probably do first is a high end FF Cinema EOS to compete with the Sony Venice FF if that takes off.

Upvote 0
It has been about three years since the C300 Mark II - about the same time as between the Mark II and the original C300. I would love a C300 Mark III with internal 4K raw and/or raw lite recording, WiFi and/or Ethernet, and the option to buy it in an EF lock version without needing to first get either a PL or EF mount (extra credit for a user changeable mount).

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I work with a ton of student filmmakers, and they always want better HD and really don't care about 4k, since their films will mostly be viewed on phones, tablets, PCs & Macs. While I could downscale 4k raw from a C200 down to HD, it uses way too much memory way too quickly while filming a student film. The process to get the footage ready before editing takes forever. Also, the cost for a C200 is way too high when your looking for better HD, and not 4k. I'd rather invest that difference in lenses.

I'd love to get a C100 MK 3 that can do HD HDR / HD RAW.

HD with 444 Prores would work nicely as well. Any good codec and expanded color space really. Ability to go up to 240FPS.

XLR jack built into the camera.

Since I'm asking for everything anyway, how about the guys over at canon toss in some cheaper cinema lenses while their at it!

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon screwed up with the C700 a Super 35 sensor is NOT the way forwards. They maintained the camera is modular and the front end can be changed including the sensor block and the logical thing to do is to bring out a Vistavision version (36x24mm) otherwise they will be squeezed by the Sony Venice camera which is 6K 3:2 and able with the correct license in time to do 4K Anamorphic (Canon are entering the Anamorphic scene).

Canon are desperate to be seen as a Hollywood player and with Red, Panavision already able to offer 8K and 6K to be taken seriously they need to get into Vistavision.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CanonGrunt said:
transpo1 said:
cayenne said:
I wonder what a Canon anamorphic lens would look like....and how much it would cost?

A lot.

Probably double that...
But, what would the lens be? What focal length(s)?

Is there such a thing as a zoom anamorphic lens?

And a real noob question...why would it have to be so $$$ to make an anamorphic lens?

What is so special about them that makes them so pricey?

C

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
cayenne said:
CanonGrunt said:
transpo1 said:
cayenne said:
I wonder what a Canon anamorphic lens would look like....and how much it would cost?

A lot.

Probably double that...

And a real noob question...why would it have to be so $$$ to make an anamorphic lens?

C

The glass makes them expensive. The novelty will make them expensive. And the uplift for the Canon name will make them even more expensive ;)

Upvote 0
Dear friends,

i'm pretty sure that if the product to be announced is called "5Dc", it's gonna be our beloved 5D Mk4 with the hoax firmware we were all expecting in mid April 2017 (i still beg for this firmware to be announced for Mk4), priced in the mid 4K to 5K region. In simple english, if Canon is to announce a 5Dc, they're just gonna fool us again in order to milk every single cent out of our pockets, offering nothing really innovative, with no dollar spent on R&D. It's gonna be something like the "new" A7R III. Practically, yesterday's news with a... brand new Type-C USB...ah, and a second SD card for Sony... ;D

Have a nice evening from summery Greece.

Yours
Yiannis

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
transpo1 said:
cayenne said:
CanonGrunt said:
transpo1 said:
cayenne said:

A lot.

Probably double that...

C

The glass makes them expensive. The novelty will make them expensive. And the uplift for the Canon name will make them even more expensive ;)

LOL...

Well, lessee.....sure, the Canon name will increase the price on an anamorphic lens(es).

But as far as class, is what makes making anamorphic glass more expensive than any other lens? Same glass as a substance, and likely same type coatings, no?

And sure,it will be a bit of a niche lens, but then again, I'd argue that other lenses out there are somewhat niche, a bit expensive, but not $24K expensive....take T/S lenses. I'd have to guess they aren't racking up huge numbers of sales when viewed in context of all other lenses, or even just other "L" lenses Canon sells, but they are not out of reach of most photographers.

I've been playing around with anamorphic....I have the Anamorpot adapter that is fun, but a bit of a PITA when changing host lenses, etc.

I found the moondog labs adapter for iPhones is a neat little unit that seems to work pretty well.....

So, it is really fun for video and I think more folks would shoot with it if it were more of a regular configuration lens for regular DSLR's, and not priced into the stratosphere....

Hoping a Canon one would be reasonable, as far as a "L" lens can be reasonable...hahaha.

Also...can a zoom anamorphic lens be made, so that you wouldn't have to buy multiple ones for different focal lengths, especially when just starting out.

cayenne

Upvote 0