A Minor Update on What's Coming from Canon at NAB 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>NAB 2018 begins on April 7, 2018 and is the next big “announcement show” after CP+ in March. Canon more often than not announces at least one significant product for the show, and some years make a big splash.</p>
<p>What does Canon have in store for us for NAB 2018?</p>
<p>A replacement to a current Cinema EOS camera is coming, and we know it’s not an EOS C200 Mark II, EOS C500 Mark II or an EOS C700 Mark II. The obvious choice would be an EOS C100 Mark III, though I wouldn’t be surprised to see an EOS C300 Mark III announced. We hope to confirm what the new Cinema EOS camera is soon.</p>
<p>There is also going to be a second camera announced at NAB 2018, but it won’t be in the Cinema EOS line.</p>
<p>The big splash as far as Canon cinema gear is concerned could be coming after NAB, we’ve heard rumblings of something bigger coming in the May/June timeframe, but we haven’t been able to confirm this.</p>
<p>If there was a DSLR coming for the show, we would have heard about it by now. DSLRs are generally not announced for NAB, outside of the EOS-1D C back in 2012.</p>
<p>As for lenses, Cinema EOS lenses rarely leak out ahead of the show, we cannot confirm any new CN-E lenses at this time.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 12, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
NAB 2018 begins on April 7, 2018 and is the next big “announcement show” after CP+ in March. Canon more often than not announces at least one significant product for the show, and some years make a big splash.</p>
<p>What does Canon have in store for us for NAB 2018?</p>
<p>A replacement to a current Cinema EOS camera is coming, and we know it’s not an EOS C200 Mark II, EOS C500 Mark II or an EOS C700 Mark II. The obvious choice would be an EOS C100 Mark III, though I wouldn’t be surprised to see an EOS C300 Mark III announced. We hope to confirm what the new Cinema EOS camera is soon.</p>
<p>There is also going to be a second camera announced at NAB 2018, but it won’t be in the Cinema EOS line.</p>
<p>The big splash as far as Canon cinema gear is concerned could be coming after NAB, we’ve heard rumblings of something bigger coming in the May/June timeframe, but we haven’t been able to confirm this.</p>
<p>If there was a DSLR coming for the show, we would have heard about it by now. DSLRs are generally not announced for NAB, outside of the EOS-1D C back in 2012.</p>
<p>As for lenses, Cinema EOS lenses rarely leak out ahead of the show, we cannot confirm any new CN-E lenses at this time.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

If the second camera is not a DSLR and not in the Cinema EOS line, it is either a new camera line, or something like an action cam, industrial, or ENG camera. Any ideas?

I would hope it's that interchangeable lens 4K XC APS-C camera, but I will be shocked if Canon actually does that.

Upvote 0
Great news. I think that Canon is releasing C100 Mk iii. With 10 bits 1080p they might sell more than C200. For C300 Mkiii we have C200 with RAW right now. For C100 Mk iii we have C200 but it is to expensive and it uses cfast and that means more money to be spend. Also C100 Mk ii does not record 4k and i need to buy a camera in April. If i have to choose between C100 Mkiii with 1080p 10bits, 4.2.2 and C200 with 8 bits 4.2.0 mp4 i will choose C100 Mkiii.

Upvote 0
sniper_shooter said:
C100 mark3 will be 4K 30p & 8bit 4:2:2 maximum, I guess.

Because this is Canon ;)

Because C200 doesn't have 10bit with high price point, C100mk3 never will.

If we can have 10bit in C100 series, that must be C100mark5 :p
I hope they improve dynamic range on C100. C200 have 10 bit output but only in 1080p via Hdmi or SDI out. I see more people are using Panasonic and Sony cameras. I hope that Sony with FS5 Mkii and A7SIII put some pressure on Canon to innovate. Also Panasonic is doing well with GH5 and now GH5S.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Mariandvd said:
sniper_shooter said:
C100 mark3 will be 4K 30p & 8bit 4:2:2 maximum, I guess.

Because this is Canon ;)

Because C200 doesn't have 10bit with high price point, C100mk3 never will.

If we can have 10bit in C100 series, that must be C100mark5 :p
I hope they improve dynamic range on C100. C200 have 10 bit output but only in 1080p via Hdmi or SDI out. I see more people are using Panasonic and Sony cameras. I hope that Sony with FS5 Mkii and A7SIII put some pressure on Canon to innovate. Also Panasonic is doing well with GH5 and now GH5S.

Canon’s biggest innovation would be to start cannibalizing their own Cinema EOS line to compete. But perhaps they are content with the amount of Cinema cameras they sell. I haven’t seen any numbers, but as a filmmaker and video producer, I can tell you that it is very rare to see a Cinema EOS in New York anymore.

Upvote 0
I seriously hope Canon puts out something worth while in their Cinema EOS line. They make such great equipment and then cripple it beyond belief. I felt like I was cheating on a spouse when I bought my FS7 three years ago instead of sticking with Canon, but I can't tell you how great of a decision that was, and even still today getting work from the FS7 as it's to most requested camera in the world. Even still, I've been hoping all this time Canon puts out something to compete, but when they put out such a great camera like the C200 but then leave out 10 bit 422, it's obvious they either dont know what their customers wants, or they don't care about what their customers want and are more concerned about not steppig on their other products toes.

If this is the C100mk3, it'll be a fantsastic camera that's crippled to 8bit 420 at 30p and lackluster slow motion. If it's a C300mk3, it'll be a wonderful camera that is completely priced way outside of the current competition, and most people wont even bother.

Upvote 0