A New 50mm Lens is Being Tested in the Wild [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that a new 50mm lens is currently being tested by a small number of select photographers. What we weren’t told was the speed of the lens or if it was an “L” lens or not.</p>
<p>There have been various rumors over the years about a new 50mm lens, and all we’ve seen so far is the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which is a great lens in its own regard, but hasn’t exactly created a lot of excitement with the readers on this site.</p>
<p>There was also no mention of IS being present on the testing lens in question. If it did have IS, I think it’d be safe to assume it won’t be a new 50mm L lens.</p>
<p>We’re starting to get a few more mentions about a new 50mm lens, though we still don’t think we’ll be seeing one in 2018.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors said:
<p>There was also no mention of IS being present on the testing lens in question. If it did have IS, I think it’d be safe to assume it won’t be a new 50mm L lens.</p>

Why not, the 85mm f1.4 IS is an L. Why wouldn't the 50 f1.4 be? oldest 50mm in the lineup.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
psychilles said:
Canon Rumors said:

Why not, the 85mm f1.4 IS is an L. Why wouldn't the 50 f1.4 be? oldest 50mm in the lineup.

+1. I suppose they could use the same IS unit in a 50 f1.2 as in the 85L 1.4 IS. IS in a 50L would boost the demand, that is for sure.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
1) In general, to this news: Um... Cool? I'll keep my feet on the ground until we start to see announcements pending and specifics and what not. Remember, if it's some huge (bag space) pickle jar, I'm less interested.

2) I'm honestly considering just buying a 50L because I'm tired of waiting and at least that has ring USM and a relatively small footprint, finnicky AF and cottonball corners be damned. (I still think the old 50 f/1.4 USM is better overall, but I just can't reliably use it wider than f/2, and sometimes I want to shoot wider than f/2.)

3) "There was also no mention of IS being present on the testing lens in question. If it did have IS, I think it’d be safe to assume it won’t be a new 50mm L lens." ---> Please expound upon that. The 85 f/1.4L IS implies that you can have fast and stabilized. Why not do the same with a new 50L? (Full disclaimer, I'd adore non-L 50 IS as it likely would be smaller than a same speed L, but I'm just arguing the point: IS primes can be L primes.)

- A

Attachments

• harrelson meme freak out 2.jpg
    harrelson meme freak out 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,916
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
2) I'm honestly considering just buying a 50L because I'm tired of waiting and at least that has ring USM and a relatively small footprint, finnicky AF and cottonball corners be damned. (I still think the old 50 f/1.4 USM is better overall, but I just can't reliably use it wider than f/2, and sometimes I want to shoot wider than f/2.)

Please do!

Canon is waiting for this to happen to release their 1.4IS :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
ahsanford said:
1) In general, to this news: Um... Cool? I'll keep my feet on the ground until we start to see announcements pending and specifics and what not. Remember, if it's some huge (bag space) pickle jar, I'm less interested.

3) "There was also no mention of IS being present on the testing lens in question. If it did have IS, I think it’d be safe to assume it won’t be a new 50mm L lens." ---> Please expound upon that. The 85 f/1.4L IS implies that you can have fast and stabilized. Why not do the same with a new 50L? (Full disclaimer, I'd adore non-L 50 IS as it likely would be smaller than a same speed L, but I'm just arguing the point: IS primes can be L primes.)

- A

I agree. I don’t see why a 50 L would be would be exclusionary to IS. The only reason why I can think Canon wouldn’t do it is because of the size/weight addition.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
YuengLinger said:
So would anybody notice a NON L lens being tested out in the wild?

Probably not -- unless it had some exotic form factor, really large lens barrel, unique hood, etc.

Most likely it would look something like this (below) and likely easily be mistaken for a 35 f/2 IS, which is what I made this picture from.

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,097
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
We also know nothing about the max aperture of this lens. Being f/1.8 or f/2 doesn't really concern me, but it seems like folks here are like:

f/1.2? Sweet!

f/1.4? Sure. Okay.

f/1.8? [Shudder] It's garbage, smash it with a hammer.

Of course, my dream spec is EF 50 f/1.4 IS USM (non-L, ring USM just like the 24/28/35 refreshes), but that exact spec is fairly unlikely to occur. Could you imagine if Canon did something batsh-- crazy and make a slow L prime, say a relatively tiny 50 f/1.8L or f/2L? Folks' heads would explode. 'Cuz aperture is better, yo. ::)

- A

Upvote 0