A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

johnf3f

Canon 1Dx
Oct 25, 2012
Wales
A while back I was told by a Canon Rep that there was quite a range of EOS R lenses ready for production. I know Andy is playing with the R system - perhaps it is one of these?

Alternatively there should be a 500 F4 Mk3 in the pipeline and, possibly, an 800 F5.6 Mk2. Time will tell but it is fun to speculate.

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
I got dream last night ,maybe its 32mpixel M5ii with new Ef-M fluorite and DO element 500mm 5,6 what weights half kg and 20cm long.
Kit Price 2k.
ohh missed earlier comments ok 300mm f4 10cm long and 0,5kg :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rixy

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
32 mpixel rebel crop camera and EF-M 300mm f4 with image quality what is better than old EF 300m f4 IS .
And who remembers there used to be 7d serie. Most of peoples wont take pics on rain and dust storm or live mad moist% areas.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
32 mpixel rebel crop camera and EF-M 300mm f4 with image quality what is better than old EF 300m f4 IS .
And who remembers there used to be 7d serie. Most of peoples wont take pics on rain and dust storm or live mad moist% areas.
I would have bought a Rebel as a back up but they don't have AFMA. Not a serious drawback for general purpose use but when you are trying to take full advantage of a high resolution lens, AFMA can be very important. Mirrorless does have certain advantages.

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
I would have bought a Rebel as a back up but they don't have AFMA. Not a serious drawback for general purpose use but when you are trying to take full advantage of a high resolution lens, AFMA can be very important. Mirrorless does have certain advantages.
Thanks Alan ,good thing to know!

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
I guess the camera was the "R Sports" which has been mentioned recently on Canon Rumors.
30 fps sound very promising, provided he didn't mean video!

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
Yes- could be - but by the way Andy Rouse mentions "shots", I'm thinking this must be a stills-at-30-fps monster. Did you mean that perhaps with that throughput it would also be capable of non-cropped video?
Yes, if it can do stills at 30fps, presumably full resolution stills, full width video shouldn't be a problem. But the problem I have with 4k on the existing models is not the crop, it's the lack of autofocus. Canon only included auto-unfocus :(

Joules

EOS RP
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't see how he could be talking about video frame rate. First, getting to many sharp shots isn't a reason to reduce your video framerate. And secondly, who on earth uses "motor drive speed" in the context of digital video?

Wonder when we might see what that gear really is. Rumour has it that no new R cameras are coming this year. If this is R related, would Canon allow their testers to hype up a camera so long before it launches?

Or could this be the 80D/7D replacement?

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
So it looks like it’s a camera. Andy posted two more images, as seen below. He puts some exif data along with them, such as the focal length of the lens and aperture/shutter speed, etc.
His comments about catching the full sequence make me think it has something like the 'pre-capture' (Panasonic) or 'Procapture' (Olympus) where, when you half-press the shutter it starts buffering images then when you press the full shutter, it takes the picture and also saves the 30 previous (buffered) photos.
This would not only be very, very nice for wildlife it also suggests they have made improvements in their sensor and/or processor capabilities.

Reactions: R1-7D

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yes, if it can do stills at 30fps, presumably full resolution stills, full width video shouldn't be a problem. But the problem I have with 4k on the existing models is not the crop, it's the lack of autofocus. Canon only included auto-unfocus :(
Heat dissipation may be a problem with a full frame 4K video. Interesting times though.

fentiger

EOS 80D
Dec 26, 2015
England
this is sounding like a serious bit of kit! your going to need to upgrade your computing power by 100 fold just to store your photos. may be adobe should do a 100 terabyte plan for 9.99 a month

Reactions: Pape

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
this is sounding like a serious bit of kit! your going to need to upgrade your computing power by 100 fold just to store your photos. may be adobe should do a 100 terabyte plan for 9.99 a month
yep you spend more time with deleting pictures than actually taking them :p ,couple minute action and youll get 2000 picture you need look through. :p

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
He isn't, I'm just saying that if you can take full ress stills at 30fps there isn't an excuse for a crop factor in video anymore.
Taking all these inferences from a vague instagram post as fact...

Not necessarily. The ability to burst briefly is not the same as sustained capture.

Reactions: Michael Clark