A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

Feb 6, 2019
80-150mm on FF is not going to get you that close to a tiger. Don't get too excited :)
I'm not excited but rather curious what this lens is :))
Because i am not shure it is a Canono lens, maybe mentioned Olympus kit? I really hope not...

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
The 1Dx II used a Dual Digic 6+ processor. Canon have moved on two models later to a Digic 8...so if a Dual Digic 8+ then yes it's feasible. 1DxII 20.2*16 = 323 mp/s. A Dual Digic 7+ should be good for a 1.4x increase...so that's 452mp/s (28mp @ 16fps or 22.6 mp @ 20 fps). Using the same historical formula, a Dual Digic 8+ should be good for 1.4x that...633 mp/s...which is insane processing through put. 30 fps @ 21mp.
Full sensor readout at that rate is the bigger challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rixy and Sharlin

masterpix

EOS T7i
Jun 29, 2016
I always wandered why no one chose me to do those tests.. A free camera, everyone wants to hear what I have to say about it. I would even do it for free (as long I get to keep it in the end), Hope someone hears me...

• Haha
Reactions: Sharlin

Tugela

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 12, 2014
Lebs soeed

Full sensor readout at that rate is the bigger challenge.
Why? Oversampled sensors on video cameras do this routinely. At even higher data rates in fact.

30 fps is unlikely with a mirror though. It could possibly be a pro R camera. If he is shooting long he would need to use EF lenses because there are no long R lenses, so him not using R lenses does not exclude a R body.

Tugela

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 12, 2014
I’m not sure why. Pixel count maybe?
Oversampled video on cameras such as Panasonic and Sony have just as many pixels, and they shoot at 30fps, some even at 60fps.

Some Sony cameras already shoot 24 fps stills with AF/AE tracking, even small point and shoots like the RX100V, and that is a few years old, it is not something special. I expect that the next generation processors will be even faster than that.

Reactions: 3kramd5

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
Oversampled video on cameras such as Panasonic and Sony have just as many pixels, and they shoot at 30fps, some even at 60fps.

Some Sony cameras already shoot 24 fps stills with AF/AE tracking, even small point and shoots like the RX100V, and that is a few years old, it is not something special. I expect that the next generation processors will be even faster than that.
Not long so ago sony’s A7R sensor was released with a spec sheet max of 5FPS. They currently list as many as 60FPS and as little as 4FPS for full pixel readout.

Unfortunately canon doesn’t sell retail sensors so this data isn’t available.

Last edited:

Tugela

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 12, 2014
It's a Nikon DSLR or a Sony MILC.

Canon is far too conservative to let an ambassador market virally like this. They may prove me wrong, but there is a stronger history of Sony poaching wildlife professionals by buying their influence.
Unlikely. There is not much chance of them letting a current Canon insider have access to pre-release systems. It is far more likely to be something like the pro-R that is rumored.