A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
30fps burst rate would mean roughly twice the throughput of the 1DX2, all things being equal. I think it's safe to say that that's not going to happen. Not without a catch anyway. If I had to guess it's similar to the 4K frame grab feature in the 1DX2 but stores the JPEGs separately instead of packaging them in an MJPEG container. Maybe it can even do RAWs. But reduced resolution, almost certainly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It isn’t infeasible.

A “catch” could be lack of autofocus between frames, a’la 1DmkIV.

The 1DX2 lacks continuous AF in the ”mirrorless” 16fps mode. But the difference between 14 and 16fps is not huge.

No other Canon body has throughput even close to the 1DX’s. A non-flagship mirrorless isn’t going to suddenly surpass them.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I don't see how he could be talking about video frame rate. First, getting to many sharp shots isn't a reason to reduce your video framerate. And secondly, who on earth uses "motor drive speed" in the context of digital video?

Wonder when we might see what that gear really is. Rumour has it that no new R cameras are coming this year. If this is R related, would Canon allow their testers to hype up a camera so long before it launches?

Or could this be the 80D/7D replacement?

Someone who started shooting back in the dark ages when what we now call "continuous frames per second" was called "motor drive speed." He's not talking about digital video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Andy Rouse is a top wildlife and aviation photographer, and canon ambassador. (well here in the UK)
He was one of the 1st to be given the 1DX2 and the 200-400f4 to evaluate.
the fact that he has tweeted 30fps must be at the concent of Canon, one can assume canon have a working replacement for the 1DX2.
and is in a advance state of production, what we don't know if it has a mirror or not. may be someone could ask Mr Tiger if he hear any mirror slap.

Upvote 0
Was reading this thread with interest so much so I’ve decided to register and comment….

Was stood next to Andy Rouse recently at the end of March for the high tide Short-eared Owls extravaganza at Parkgate on the Dee where he was using a EOS R (type) camera + 600mm f4, there were also a fare few 1DX2’s used by others so a good benchmark. When he fired a burst the fps was significantly more than 14 fps of the IDX2 which I commented at the time and way above the 8 fps of the standard EOS R.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Based on rumors it's more likely that the 1DX3 will be a DSLR and there's no flagship mirrorless body even remotely ready for testing. Conjecture is based on available evidence, not just random ideas.
The incomplete evidence in this situation being an Instagram post which suggests a 30FPS camera.

After getting people all spun up, I’m going to laugh really hard if he’s playing with a prototype Sony a9ii.

BTW which rumors speak to the state of canon prototypes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
BTW which rumors speak to the state of canon prototypes?

This one mostly, among a couple other older ones. But besides rumors, what Canon has actually brought to table (the R and the RP) seems to indicate that they are far from achieving 1D-level throughput with continuous DPAF autofocus, never mind 30fps full-sensor shooting with full AF.

I'm somewhat confused by the candidness of these tweets. Typically Canon beta testers have kept really quiet about the hardware they're testing, and are no doubt heavily NDA'd.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
This one mostly, among a couple other older ones. But besides rumors, what Canon has actually brought to table (the R and the RP) seems to indicate that they are far from achieving 1D-level throughput with continuous DPAF autofocus, never mind 30fps full-sensor shooting with full AF.

I'm somewhat confused by the candidness of these tweets. Typically Canon beta testers have kept really quiet about the hardware they're testing, and are no doubt heavily NDA'd.

I don’t see anything about prototypes there, but if they’re bringing out two cameras in 2020 I’d bet they have fairly mature working prototypes.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon UK ambassador Andy Rouse has been active on Instagram apparently teasing a new camera body. I would think he’s not out using another company’s gear, so what could he be talking about?
He mentions using “new kit” and saying “I had to take the motor drive speed down from 30 fps to 5fps as I was taking too many sharp shots”
So what could he be teasing and/or testing? The obvious answer would be the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Andy was one of the early testers of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, so that’s not too much of a leap to assume.
There’s also a possibility he’s testing out the new 32.5mp APS-C shooter that’s coming, but this is less likely. The mention of shooting stills at 30fps would probably be far too taxing for a 32.5mp APS-C camera, as the throughput required would be quite high.
Is it possible that the EOS-1D X Mark III will shoot 30fps with...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Was reading this thread with interest so much so I’ve decided to register and comment….

Was stood next to Andy Rouse recently at the end of March for the high tide Short-eared Owls extravaganza at Parkgate on the Dee where he was using a EOS R (type) camera + 600mm f4, there were also a fare few 1DX2’s used by others so a good benchmark. When he fired a burst the fps was significantly more than 14 fps of the IDX2 which I commented at the time and way above the 8 fps of the standard EOS R.
Thanks for this. It's a most relevant comment.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
So Alan, will you be buying? ;) Remember, by switching Artie became a BIF guru ... I think ... I quit following at that time though, so really don't know.:)

What I can say from personal experience is that I have many shots with the 1DX2 where the focus point aligns perfectly with where it was supposed to be, but the shot is not in focus/sharp. This can be partially explained by my AF settings and lack of steadiness but not fully. I'd say that the 1DX2 is somewhat challenged to keep up focus with high speed subjects. Now if I could be attached to Andy's coat tails I'd probably have a very different perspective - like the problem is mostly me. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
So Alan, will you be buying? ;) Remember, by switching Artie became a BIF guru ... I think ... I quit following at that time though, so really don't know.:)

What I can say from personal experience is that I have many shots with the 1DX2 where the focus point aligns perfectly with where it was supposed to be, but the shot is not in focus/sharp. This can be partially explained by my AF settings and lack of steadiness but not fully. I'd say that the 1DX2 is somewhat challenged to keep up focus with high speed subjects. Now if I could be attached to Andy's coat tails I'd probably have a very different perspective - like the problem is mostly me. :(

Jack
Jack, I am in the market for something interesting. A high resolution FF or APS-C would turn me on. A Canon that could emulate Olympus or Panasonic by continuously storing 20 frames before I press the button would make me get out my Amex card too. We would both like a Nikon-like AF that detects and focusses on movement. Eye detection of a BIF rather than a flapping wing would be most welcome.

Upvote 0
So peeking over some of his recent instagram posts, he talks a bit about why he likes mirrorless, being able to autofocus in very low light/difficult conditions, 30 fps burst speed (and having too many sharp images from that speed), knowing how your autofocus kit works in different situations, and testing new kit. All the while, suggesting not to ask him about kit because he can't say anything.

That's all fairly leading, don't you think? Maybe this is the long lead up for a promotional campaign for pro-ish higher speed/lower res mirrorless camera that isn't a direct replacement for a 1DX ii. Or maybe the 1DX iii has a hybrid viewfinder and can perform some function as a mirrorless camera as well. Certainly a weird set of comments to try and draw conclusions from.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I took another look at some of those posts, and he's saying it isn't a 1DXiii. Check out these comments attached. A lot of his stuff from earlier this year were with an EOS R, so maybe it is some sort of new mirrorless body...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 2.07.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 2.07.50 PM.png
    450 KB · Views: 643
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 2.08.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 2.08.11 PM.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 664
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0