A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

Hmmmm....perhaps you could so eloquently describe to me in your own words as to WHAT specific issues are with my photos that are so mediocre in terms of composition? They ARE MERELY flower photos. What could one possibly do to elevate them in your professional estimation?

The IQ part is up to the phone not me! A Nokia Lumia 1520 is from 2013 so I would say for its time, that phone's IQ is actually quite outstanding, if a bit too highly colour saturated!

I wouldn't care of the quality but you stated Canon had to worry and catch up with smartphones. I don't like and I don't do flower photography anymore, but your images are far behind the high-quality flower photos. Poor light, noisy and busy chaotic background with random objects, bad cropping, and some of them are just out of focus.
In terms of the purely technical IQ, it's like other smartphone photos - colour banding, bad resolution/sharpness, noise.

Out of all those images, #2 'Delicate Detail Macro' looks the best perhaps, it's nice and has the best light, but has to be cropped to my taste as there's too much of the green blur.

That is, if they're just your smartphone shots - fine, but they're not something Canon should worry about and not something they need to catch up with.

Please do elaborate or at least SHOW ME some OUTSTANDING PHOTOS from you so that I may learn from some of the best in the business!
My photos can be accessed from the links in my signature. Feel free to subscribe and follow ;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Ah! Very true then. This thread is on the wrong forum. Had to be olympusrumours. No hope for Canon anticipators.
I just searched Andy Rouse on Instagram and got an andy rouse with 'canon ambassador' next to his name. Edit. Just checked his facebook and he is definitely saying it isn't canon. Olympus is the best bet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't care of the quality but you stated Canon had to worry and catch up with smartphones. I don't like and I don't do flower photography anymore, but your images are far behind the high-quality flower photos. Poor light, noisy and busy chaotic background with random objects, bad cropping, and some of them are just out of focus.
In terms of the purely technical IQ, it's like other smartphone photos - colour banding, bad resolution/sharpness, noise.

Out of all those images, #2 'Delicate Detail Macro' looks the best perhaps, it's nice and has the best light, but has to be cropped to my taste as there's too much of the green blur.

That is, if they're just your smartphone shots - fine, but they're not something Canon should worry about and not something they need to catch up with.

My photos can be accessed from the links in my signature. Feel free to subscribe and follow ;)

===

I do must admit that you ARE correct that the #2 Delicate Detail Macro is BEST and really shows how good a smartphone could be. I was surprised how it came out. However, I do think Canon DOES have to worry because as other posters have said, it's a 2mm plastic lens over a tiny, tiny sensor!

Now IMAGINE a 2/3rd inch sensor or an APS-C sensor on a SMARTPHONE !!!

Combine THAT with high-end computational photography software and somebody like Sony with its VAAAAAST experience in smartphones would literally pound Canon into the sand on it's low end camera line!

---

Again, while these new ones aren't great shots, they DO illustrate what a 2mm lens on a crappy 1.3 micron photosite sensor can do! So I do must disagree in that I say that Canon is NOW treading a very fine line into almost irrelevance on the low-end and may be pounded by Sony in the High End!

So the WARNING to Canon, is to START bring out decent mirrorless cameras with the FULL SET of features espoused in MANY forums and start making a dent in the higher-end lens areas before Sigma grows its share even more than it already has with its Art Series of SUPER-SHARP lenses at reasonable prices!
It's Your Choice Canon!

The Market is Speaking Loudly and it is NOT in your favour right now!

Attachments

• Crop Hard School of Photography.png
    Crop Hard School of Photography.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
  • It's Your Castle.png
    It's Your Castle.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • Marble Lions.png
    Marble Lions.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • Lady of the Fish.png
    Lady of the Fish.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • Sunset from 2012 era Samsung Smartphone.png
    Sunset from 2012 era Samsung Smartphone.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
He's got very nice nature/animal shots on his insta, probably worth following, but he's short of 50k followers and Canon wants at least 50k as we know...

I know there was a rumour that someone didn't become an ambassador for one of the big brands because they didn't have 50k followers, but I don't think it was Canon. Andy is, or was at least until very recently, a Canon Ambassador. He was thoroughly hawking the EOS R, even for wildlife, not too long ago.

Also, Marina Cano on Instagram is a Canon Ambassador and she only has 28K followers.

Upvote 0
I know there was a rumour that someone didn't become an ambassador for one of the big brands because they didn't have 50k followers, but I don't think it was Canon. Andy is, or was at least until very recently, a Canon Ambassador. He was thoroughly hawking the EOS R, even for wildlife, not too long ago.

He certainly seems to have changed his tune about the EOS R, definitely sounds like he's not part of the Canon family anymore.

Andy Rouse said:
I’ve been using the R since October and it’s all over social media. But it can’t do action in any form whatsoever so no it’s not that. Yes it’s less than a normal camera because it’s mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
He certainly seems to have changed his tune about the EOS R, definitely sounds like he's not part of the Canon family anymore.
Does canon claims R is action camera?
i think andy just says obvious truth . its not action camera if action camera is meant something what bursts and doesnt viewfinder lag.
For me action camera is just camera what shoots when you press button instantly.but not for most peoples

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

Also, Marina Cano on Instagram is a Canon Ambassador and she only has 28K followers.

It was canon but I don't think it was an ambassador. I think it was someone they were going to get to do some photography and then turned her down when they realized she didn't have the required followers. As for the 'ambasadors'. I think the willingness they have to chop and change depending on who gives them gear and exposure shows a couple of things. 1. All current gear is excellent. 2. Ambassadors are not something anyone should really pay attention to.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It makes more sense that this is not a canon camera, based on the rumors.

After all, the only mirrorless camera we expect this year is the M5 II and maybe an upgrade to the M100 (what CR Guy called the M500).

And it does seem unlikely that the 32MP 90D/7D III will manage such framerates. That would far exceed the throughput of an A9!

Getting excited about Canon gear is an easy way to get disappointed, but I'm still hoping that push to 32 MP and merge of the 80D and 7D indicates that they managed to up their speed and features significantly.

Upvote 0
Now IMAGINE a 2/3rd inch sensor or an APS-C sensor on a SMARTPHONE !!!

It's not going to happen just because of how physics of light works. Larger sensor = more room needed between the sensor and the lens = thick smartphone = fail.

Combine THAT with high-end computational photography software and somebody like Sony with its VAAAAAST experience in smartphones would literally pound Canon into the sand on it's low end camera line!

Low-end compact cameras - maybe. They're dying anyway. But smartphone quality will always be incomparable with APS-C or FF sensors, small sensor means less information and no computation can restore information that's just not there.

Again, while these new ones aren't great shots, they DO illustrate what a 2mm lens on a crappy 1.3 micron photosite sensor can do!

The last sunset landscape has awful technical quality even at the given small size, but if it's really a Samsung from 2012, it's fine. But at the same time it's not an threat-to-Canon illustration either. The first one with the flames looks nice, but the flames are blown out, it would look much nicer had there been more DR in the sensor.

Upvote 0
I like Andy Rouse and his images and followed for a while. Digging over his posts further I thought there was a very interesting #tag on one of them #imbetterwithoutyou

It's easy to read too much into things and get 5 when trying to add 2 + 2 but it just looks like a trail of breadcrumbs building to something!

My gear is in a lower league to most but I like Canon for the size of the range and 2nd hand options. I believe he's swapped around in the past but it's a worry that somebody like Andy Rouse may be feeling the need to jump to a different brand as he must have some insight to the Canon road map and not like what's coming!

Upvote 0
I like Andy Rouse and his images and followed for a while. Digging over his posts further I thought there was a very interesting #tag on one of them #imbetterwithoutyou
View attachment 184551

It's easy to read too much into things and get 5 when trying to add 2 + 2 but it just looks like a trail of breadcrumbs building to something!

My gear is in a lower league to most but I like Canon for the size of the range and 2nd hand options. I believe he's swapped around in the past but it's a worry that somebody like Andy Rouse may be feeling the need to jump to a different brand as he must have some insight to the Canon road map and not like what's coming!

Why worry if the currently available gears meet your need?
I can totally understand why wildlife photographers like Olympus. The difference in size and weight for the same reach is enormous. However, they will probably feel the pain when it gets dark!

Upvote 0
===

While Canon seems right now to be scattershotting it's camera offerings with lightly-featured cameras mated to good glass, if I was Canon management I would be FAR MORE WORRIED about cameras that can do things like the attached photos which were taken off SMARTPHONES !!!! (this one is an oldie but goodie Nokia Lumia 1520!)

If a smartphone with a TINY SENSOR can do this, IMAGINE what's going to happen to the lower end of the MILC/DSLR market when Sony introduces their 2/3rds inch and APS-C sensor xPeria Smartphones?!

Wait, I thought your contention was that one can take acceptable pictures with any camera? Now you seem to be saying that cheap smartphones can produce images as good as dedicated ILCs? I use my phone for a lot of shots and they have made massive strides in image quality, but there is very little overlap with e.g. a DSLR - and your images demonstrate that. The chief advantage of a phone is convenience. But colour depth, background separation, resolution (in terms of real detail resolved, rather than MP counts), DR, noise, control over shutter speed/focal length/aperture etc etc are all still orders of magnitude better in even the cheapest DSLR (or MILC). Most people don't care and/or couldn't tell the difference, but that is rather beside the point on these forums. Your contention that the near future of photography is a landscape of large-sensor smartphones and medium format ILCs is absurd and not borne out by any evidence that I can see here or elsewhere (and such a future is nowhere near in any case).

Hmmmm....perhaps you could so eloquently describe to me in your own words as to WHAT specific issues are with my photos that are so mediocre in terms of composition? They ARE MERELY flower photos. What could one possibly do to elevate them in your professional estimation?

I generally try to avoid being negative about other people's photos but since you ask, as if it's not obvious - the backgrounds are too busy, composition is essentially absent, your sky highlights are blown, and in the one with the bluebells what seems to be your primary subject isn't even properly in focus. These are adequate snaps for identifying plants, for recording ideas or inspiration for planting and so on, but they are indeed mediocre (though mediocrity isn't always bad!). Oh and 'merely flower photos' - a photo can have excellent composition or other qualities regardless of its subject matter.

The IQ part is up to the phone not me!

Precisely! A phone can produce images but cameras allow much greater control over the kind of images one can produce (though the gap is narrowing). We here on these forums are image creators, and the process by which images are made is important, not just the images that result.

Upvote 0