A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

Jul 28, 2015
But, the M1X is larger and heavier than a 5D, and the Olympus 300mm +TC longer and as heavy as the Canon zoom. As you know, Jack, I am always looking for lighter gear but alternatives have not convinced me to switch from Canon. I leave the superior heavier gear to the younger and stronger.

I agree. But for me the frame rate of the 5DSR is too low and the AF on the 7D2 is too twitchy. So I am hoping for two things: first that the AF is somewhere between the 1Dx2 and the 7D2 in reliability and secondly that the fancy-fandangled mirrorless functions will be reliably interesting, especially the pro-capture and in-camera focus bracketing.
If we thought that the range of DSLRs had been getting bewildering, adding mirrorless into the mix is just getting mindblowing when working out the compromises you are willing to work with.
So many options, so little money...:D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree. But for me the frame rate of the 5DSR is too low and the AF on the 7D2 is too twitchy. So I am hoping for two things: first that the AF is somewhere between the 1Dx2 and the 7D2 in reliability and secondly that the fancy-fandangled mirrorless functions will be reliably interesting, especially the pro-capture and in-camera focus bracketing.
If we thought that the range of DSLRs had been getting bewildering, adding mirrorless into the mix is just getting mindblowing when working out the compromises you are willing to work with.
So many options, so little money...:D
The Olympus is a really nice system. The new 150-400mm kens with a built in TC will, I am sure, be superb, but probably a little heavy as well as expensive. If it is light, I could be tempted.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I would suspect that this is Canon looking at future Sony a9 etc. and wanting to assure canon users that there is a real pro camera being tested right now. If too tight lipped for too long too many will jump ship and then it is hard to get them back. Just ask Nikon that is still struggling after Canon crushed them with the EF system. Nikon assumed that their pros would stick with them yet they were abandoned in droves until their pro market was left to rich amateurs rather than the pros along the sidelines and at major events.
It sounds like canon is trying to get ahead of that mass exodus.

The pros, in the kind of numbers that matter to Nikon and Canon, have already left the building. Not to go to Sony or Panasonic, but to a career where they can still make a living. The premium camera market today is not being driven by pros any more, it is being driven by enthusiasts and hobbyists with lots of money to spend. This sea change has been coming for a while, but seems to have reached critical mass around the time the 1D X Mark II and D5 were released.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0