A New EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Still a Possibility in 2018? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We reported a couple of months ago that a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/another-canon-ef-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-mention-cr2/">new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III was coming</a>, and then we <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-ef-70-200mm-is-coming-in-2018-cr3/">scaled that back to just a new EF 70-200mm</a> was coming as we couldn’t confirm the speed of the lens. Last week it was confirmed from outside sources that an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/another-canon-ef-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-mention-cr2/">EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II</a> was indeed on the horizon.</p>
<p>After all of that, we still believe that a new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III is still a possibility in 2018. We’ve again received a few mentions that such a lens is currently in testing and that it is scheduled to be announced in 2018.</p>
<p>We haven’t confirmed this yet, but we hope to do so soon.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Foxdude said:
How can you improve the mark 2 version?
If you compare it with the latest Nikon model you might find some advantages on the Nikon side - for a much higher price though.

If you now see the 24-70 and 70-200/2.8 zooms as the workhorse lenses for photo and sports journalists you might consider that it is a pride and important image point for a brand to have the top notch / best in class here.
Also latest AF, IS and of course cost saving design or production methods could be a reason.

Nikon took over with the last version, so it's time for Canon to take the lead again.
Maybe also on the sales price - which would be disappointing for users.

I can understand your opinion. I suppose I wouldn't see any difference in real life.
But you know: Some have a strong GAS if something is better - even just by a little bit.

Upvote 0
Foxdude said:
How can you improve the mark 2 version? I don't have it, but I have understood it is nothing less than stellar piece of glass.

I have the Mark 2 and I love it, but as sharp as it is there is always room for improvement as camera bodies continue to increase resolution. If a 5D sR II is on the way with potentially even more resolution, there would likely be room for improvement in sharpness. With that said, on my 5D IV I have no complaints of soft images from that lens.

I also wonder if this could be an activity in just reducing the production costs for the lens (i.e. 24-105 f/4L ii) without considerable performance improvements.

Upvote 0
I know there are some on here who are absolutely convinced that EF-M will be the lens type for full frame mirrorless. But I still think they will keep the ef standard and are updating these IS lenses in the same way they released updates for the EF-M lenses for M50 IS compatibility. They need updatable firmware on the lens so that it can be updated to work with the internal sensor IS on mirrorless bodies.

Eventually there might be a EF-M standard - but releasing a mirrorless body that instantly gives access to every EF L lens out there without an adapter is too good of an opportunity.

And going out on a limb here - the added room without all of the removed hardware in the body there's also the opportunity to go to a larger than 35mm sensor while keeping compatibility with 95% of the current lens lineup - and that would not be something that Sony could match. That's a serious marketing opportunity. It would probably be a r type specialty camera, but having it in the lineup is a big marketing advantage. How many prosumers buy better lenses than they might normally purchase with the thought "I could use this with 'x' if I ever decide to upgrade". Knowing that you have an opportunity to improve your lens purchase down the road sells a decent amount of more expensive lenses to 80d prosumers, and more importantly it cements the perception of premium in people's eyes, even if that extended sensor camera is only 2% of sales.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I would expect that the Canon engineers might be working on a really good EF-M to EF adapter. Mirrorless offers some lens design opportunities not available to SLR lens designers, due to the shorter lens flange to sensor distance of mirrorless design. It might be a pity to give that up. However, a good adapter that would bring the lens flange to sensor distance to standard EF (44.5 mm, I think) would allow the owner to use both EF-M design lenses (without adapter) and old EF lenses (with adapter). Best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
amorse said:
Foxdude said:
How can you improve the mark 2 version? I don't have it, but I have understood it is nothing less than stellar piece of glass.

I have the Mark 2 and I love it, but as sharp as it is there is always room for improvement as camera bodies continue to increase resolution. If a 5D sR II is on the way with potentially even more resolution, there would likely be room for improvement in sharpness. With that said, on my 5D IV I have no complaints of soft images from that lens.

I also wonder if this could be an activity in just reducing the production costs for the lens (i.e. 24-105 f/4L ii) without considerable performance improvements.

Me too.

I have both the 70-200/2.8ISII and the 100-400LII, and you can see the improvements in the newer lens.

Ergonomically, the 70-200 could use a better tripod collar (the 100-400LII is outstanding). And there is the paint and hood :)

For performance, the 70-200 could be very slightly sharper at telephoto, and CA could be cut the tiniest of bits in the corners. It could use the newer IS, and it would be great if it got mode 3.

On the other hand the current 70-200 is, by a long shot, the best first party lens in value, it's superb and reliable, and frankly, all that tiny room for improvement makes no difference in real photos. No to say Canon shouldn't do an update, but I don't really see myself running out to buy one, even though I use this lens a lot. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
NancyP said:
I would expect that the Canon engineers might be working on a really good EF-M to EF adapter. Mirrorless offers some lens design opportunities not available to SLR lens designers, due to the shorter lens flange to sensor distance of mirrorless design. It might be a pity to give that up. However, a good adapter that would bring the lens flange to sensor distance to standard EF (44.5 mm, I think) would allow the owner to use both EF-M design lenses (without adapter) and old EF lenses (with adapter). Best of both worlds.

Just keep that STM focus by wire stuff out of my high end glass.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
amorse said:

The new TS lenses that came out are showing to be very sharp on 5DSR's. I'm thinking that Canon will improve it's optics here, not that the 70-200mkii is any slouch, to exploit their dense sensors.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Foxdude said:
Optically, there's certainly little that can be done, except perhaps to improve sharpness and falloff in the corners.
But, perhaps it would benefit from more rugged construction. The barrel on mine sometimes loosens. A little attention paid here would make a nice upgrade.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Foxdude said:

Better IS, less distortion, less CR, Perhaps better Light transmission, Lighter weight, shorter length, potentially upgraded focus motor, macro capability, etc... There is a lot they could do to make the lens better. Whether it is necessary or not can be debated. But it's not perfect.
Hell, two of the copies I've used/ owned have an issue when paired with the t3i where it blurs the image out past the 125mm mark. Like the group that handles IS doesn't sit still or perhaps the camera can't transmit enough power to it to keep the IS group from shifting. Though, if you shake the lens a little, it corrects itself.

Never experiencd that with any other body with this lens. Not the 7D or the 5dMIII/ 5DMIV. So I dunno. Must be the camera.

Anybody else have any experience with that?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Foxdude said:

Easy, revert to the MkI falloff and blur rendition. The MkII is so bad I never saw the utility in 'upgrading' to a lens that is far worse at rendering a scene empathetically. The MkII is great for sports etc where the emphasis is on subject sharpness and speed to acquire focus, but it was always too jarring in the background elements to do a better job then the MkI for portraits and event work in my personal opinion.

Sharpness is s severely over rated aspect of lens performance.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Maximilian said:
Foxdude said:
How can you improve the mark 2 version?
If you compare it with the latest Nikon model you might find some advantages on the Nikon side - for a much higher price though.

If you now see the 24-70 and 70-200/2.8 zooms as the workhorse lenses for photo and sports journalists you might consider that it is a pride and important image point for a brand to have the top notch / best in class here.
Also latest AF, IS and of course cost saving design or production methods could be a reason.

Nikon took over with the last version, so it's time for Canon to take the lead again.
Maybe also on the sales price - which would be disappointing for users.

I can understand your opinion. I suppose I wouldn't see any difference in real life.
But you know: Some have a strong GAS if something is better - even just by a little bit.

Are you sure about that with the Nikon? https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=1089&CameraComp=1052&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
Its a nice lens, but way over priced for how it performs compared to the Canon. Of course that test is just one dimension, it may be nicer in other areas. Have you seen it perform better in these other areas?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
Foxdude said:

Easy, revert to the MkI falloff and blur rendition. The MkII is so bad I never saw the utility in 'upgrading' to a lens that is far worse at rendering a scene empathetically. The MkII is great for sports etc where the emphasis is on subject sharpness and speed to acquire focus, but it was always too jarring in the background elements to do a better job then the MkI for portraits and event work in my personal opinion.

I agree. While I love a razor sharp lens for some things, there can be too much sometimes. I've thrown away a lot of photos because when I peep them they aren't pin sharp. I think that was a mistake on my part so I've pulled back on the reins a little bit. My wife is 54 and is not a fan of ultra-sharp photos of herself. A little unsharpness that doesn't have to be added in post is nice in a situation like that. It's one of the reasons I've been experimenting with vintage glass. Also, proper composition covers a multitude of sins.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
CanonFanBoy said:
privatebydesign said:
Foxdude said:

I agree. While I love a razor sharp lens for some things, there can be too much sometimes. I've thrown away a lot of photos because when I peep them they aren't pin sharp. I think that was a mistake on my part so I've pulled back on the reins a little bit. My wife is 54 and is not a fan of ultra-sharp photos of herself. A little unsharpness that doesn't have to be added in post is nice in a situation like that. It's one of the reasons I've been experimenting with vintage glass. Also, proper composition covers a multitude of sins.

Interesting. I would rather have a razor-sharp photo with all the detail possible, and remove it in post-processing, than to have a blurry/soft image to begin and be unable to bring out lost detail.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
As an very happy owner of the current f/2.8 70-200, the only thing I can think of to improve an already stellar lens is to make it lighter. That's all.

The current lens is a thing of beauty. I love the sharpness and the "L" quality construction. Sure, it's heavy but it's built like a tank and meant to take a beating. I just love it and always enjoy any opportunity to use it.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
mppix said:
20% lighter and 20% less min focus distance (at 20% higher price). Pretty please :)

Cripes. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were 20% less MFD :D

gmon750 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
privatebydesign said:
Foxdude said:

Interesting. I would rather have a razor-sharp photo with all the detail possible, and remove it in post-processing, than to have a blurry/soft image to begin and be unable to bring out lost detail.

For me, it depends a lot on the subject. If it's portraiture, razor sharp is not important to me. In fact, a little bit of softness on the edges isn't a bad thing at all, and makes the photo look more realistic. If I'm photographing a pet (cats & dogs), it is only important for capturing things like the eyes and the nose. Because of textures in the animal, you'd never know if the lens was razor sharp or not in a lot of places.

However, if I'm photographing birds (so, patio shots with 70-200), sharpness is super important, because some features (like eyes, or beak) are really tiny and crispness really contributes to an impressive photograph; conversely, softness often is mistaken for lack of focus. Chromatic aberration can also really make bird photos less attractive (like a magenta or green halo between a bald eagle's head and the sky). Part of the pickiness is that there are already bazillions of every bird photographed, so we're all trying to take shots that rise above the crowd.

In the extreme, if it's a high resolution product shot that someone's paying for, razor sharp is really important, because if it's not, that's work in post to remove any softness, and sometimes (like a fabric), that is hard or impossible to achieve, because expectation is that when you zoom in, you see the little curlies fibers of wool at the edge, not a blurry edge or a sharp, cleaned-up edge.

gmon750 said:
As an very happy owner of the current f/2.8 70-200, the only thing I can think of to improve an already stellar lens is to make it lighter. That's all.

The current lens is a thing of beauty. I love the sharpness and the "L" quality construction. Sure, it's heavy but it's built like a tank and meant to take a beating. I just love it and always enjoy any opportunity to use it.

Yeah, the current lens is just amazing. I remember when it came out, I was just blown away. There are a lot of Canon-esque things that make it amazing, like the overall feel, the excellence of the manual focus ring, how little effort is required to take it from 70-200, and how durable it feels.

When I pick up a Canon 70-200, I think I could use it in a war zone. When I pick up the equivalent (but much more expensive) lens by Sony, it feels like delicate electronics.

Upvote 0