A New EF 70-200mm is Coming in 2018 [CR3]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ditboy said:
With a FF mirrorless on the horizon, maybe this will be the first lens made specifically for it.

Explosively unlikely. Even if FF mirrorless body was coming and it was a thin flange design as you suggest (certainly plausible), you wouldn't first come out with a lens that does not showcase the size savings. The opening lenses for a thin flange mirrorless platform would undoubtedly be small f/2.8 primes of modest FLs and a slow f/4 (or possibly variable aperture) standard zoom. A 70-200 f/2.8 lens would be a 2nd or 3rd wave of lenses Canon would release. It's a vital lens for photographers, don't get be wrong, but you'd just use a nearly identically sized EF mount 70-200 f/2.8L IS II on an adaptor until Canon deems us fit for a mirrorless-mount version.

Ditboy said:
IMHO it would be ridiculous to make a mirrorless body with the same flange distance just for EF lenses. If EF lenses can function really well on a Sony, Canon should be able to make an adaptor that preserves all function and speed. Then start the conversion of their lens line up to mirrorless as current lenses come up for redesign.

You are starting an entirely different topic here. Just start another thread on this topic and you'll have 10 responses in an hour on this. It's probably the #1 thing we debate here these days.

- A

Upvote 0
nonac said:
Built in teleconverter like the 200-400????

That was the first thing that occurred to me, but if it is the case, I'd expect them to continue selling the version II alongside.

ahsanford said:
I'm out of ideas. Any others?

What about an LCD distance scale like that cheaper lens released a year or two ago?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
scyrene said:
What about an LCD distance scale like that cheaper lens released a year or two ago?

You mean the 70-300II? I bought one to attach to an old 60D and leave in the car, which is something I wouldn't be prepared to do with a 100-400LII. I have never found a use for the distance LCD scale, and in my opinion, it's far inferior to the analog scale.

But that brings up another possibility: what if it were a cheaper 70-200 IS/2.8? nano USM, more plastic, no weather sealing, same IQ, same price as the f/4, not L. Would that be interesting to anyone?

Of course, the Canon hood would probably cost $150 then :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Perio said:
Never going to happen, but 2.0 aperture would be great.

You are correct. That will never happen.

See my fun cross-product exercise below (images from TDP).

Again: never. gonna. happen. (At least for 70-200. As Sigma has shown with three faster-than-f/2.8 zooms, anything's possible if you don't mind a small FL multiplier.)

- A

Attachments

• 70-200 f2.jpg
    70-200 f2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,283
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
the "more" could be Macro capability?

Could the 'more' be DO?

None of those, "more" means more clicks for CR. My take, this is nothing more than an educated guess. Now that Nikon release their newer version it is Canon's turn. So it's time to start spinning the rumor mill until Canon releases the lens.

No more news on the camera with the "hole"

The G7 III pictures had obvious signs showing it was fake yet it was posted here

Most of you are aware how the UWA EF-M prime rumor went.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
But that brings up another possibility: what if it were a cheaper 70-200 IS/2.8? nano USM, more plastic, no weather sealing, same IQ, same price as the f/4, not L. Would that be interesting to anyone?

Why do that with the f/2.8, though? Surely that's a better move for the next f/4.

(I brace for things being thrown at me with that statement as the 70-200 f/4L IS is absolutely loved.)

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Talys said:

Why do that with the f/2.8, though? Surely that's a better move for the next f/4.

(I brace for things being thrown at me with that statement as the 70-200 f/4L IS is absolutely loved.)

- A

Well, I wouldn't buy it, and you're right, it sounds like a better idea for the F/4. But this would compete with sigma/tamron 70-200/2.8, and I think there are people who would love f/2.8 for this super-popular zoom but can't afford the price of the LII.

There's also the crowd that doesn't care at all about how durable a lens is (or isn't willing to pay for that). Who knows, just a random thought that maybe we're thinking the wrong direction :D

Upvote 0
goldenhusky said:
the "more" could be Macro capability?

Could the 'more' be DO?

None of those, "more" means more clicks for CR. My take, this is nothing more than an educated guess. Now that Nikon release their newer version it is Canon's turn. So it's time to start spinning the rumor mill until Canon releases the lens.

No more news on the camera with the "hole"

The G7 III pictures had obvious signs showing it was fake yet it was posted here

Most of you are aware how the UWA EF-M prime rumor went.

If you dislike the place so much, why hang around here?

Upvote 0
Ditboy said:
With a FF mirrorless on the horizon, maybe this will be the first lens made specifically for it. IMHO it would be ridiculous to make a mirrorless body with the same flange distance just for EF lenses. If EF lenses can function really well on a Sony, Canon should be able to make an adaptor that preserves all function and speed. Then start the conversion of their lens line up to mirrorless as current lenses come up for redesign.

Please go and read the many, long threads on potential future Canon FF mirrorless cameras before trotting out this again!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
Perio said:

Again: never. gonna. happen. (At least for 70-200. As Sigma has shown with three faster-than-f/2.8 zooms, anything's possible if you don't mind a small FL multiplier.)

- A

Part of me lives for these graphics.

Upvote 0
I will vote with others who say built in 1.4x extender (like the 200-400). This would differentiate it from the current offerings, including the (reportedly excellent) Tamron G2 and Sigma Sport. They may still offer the current model which would be preferable for wedding and portrait photographers (and anyone wanting a lower price and less weight). But the new one would appeal to sports and wildlife photographers.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
slclick said:
ahsanford said:
Perio said:

- A

Part of me lives for these graphics.

lol, me too. Glad I'm not the only one that gets a kick out of them, haha :)

Upvote 0