A New EF 70-200mm is Coming in 2018 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>A few days ago <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/another-canon-ef-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-mention-cr2/">we wrote about a new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III</a> was in testing, but we didn’t know when it was coming.</p>
<p>We have received confirmation that a new EF 70-200mm is coming in 2018, and again, we’re pretty sure it’ll be announced ahead of Photokina in August or September.</p>
<p>We’re not calling it an “EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III” for the time being, as a couple of our sources have hinted that there’s something “different” and “more” about this lens release. No one seems to want to let the cat out of the bag yet.</p>
<p>This is one of those rumors that is going to play out over time, we likely only have half of the information. Please keep your excitement in check until I have all of the information and can provide definitive answers.</p>
<p>I’m starting to feel that 2018 is going to be a fun year for Canon, more on that later.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
BeenThere said:
the "more" could be Macro capability?
I wish they add the ability to tighten or loosen (according to need) the zoom ring like they do on the 100-400 II. The range 70-200 range is very usable for both photo and video. It is perfect for photo, but a bit too tighten for video.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I like the DO idea. Smaller, lighter and make it sharper. Having macro capability would be amazing for wedding photographers (among others).

Figuring out how to get faster than f/2.8 would also be amazing.

Then, if we are talking FF mirrorless in 2018, if they do go with a new mount, I would expect the new mount to be launched with its own "holy trinity" of zoom lenses in the new mount.

I would dislike that, but that would be "new."

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
angrykarl said:
The "more" is certainly the EF-M mount... Because it's the EF-M zoom that is coming later this year. 8) ;D

As much as I'm wishing for more and better M glass, I'm not sure a 112-320 FF Equivalent lens is going to be making the EF-M rounds. Let's keep our dreams grounded and wish for the Prime Trinity to be completed.a bit more

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Hector1970 said:
As a normal 70-200mm lens I don’t know how they could improve version II.
It will be interesting to see what they do.
Maybe lighter or better IS but I can’t imagine better image quality.

The present EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II is a very sharp lens. However I do believe that particularly at close focus on the 70mm end the CAs are "average" especially shooting at or near f2.8
All lenses have their weaknesses particularly zoom lenses so I do see where they could improve the lens and the IQ of the Sony G Master 70-200mm f2.8 is better particularly in controlling CAs and Canon has made a bundle from this particular lens along with the EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM II with Pros so will not cede any crown easily.
As to what maybe different in the MKIII version an internal "matched" 1.4X converter could be a potent differentiator giving f4 and 98-280mm. Macro is a possibility but I prefer "true macro" lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
Oooo. I want to know what the special sauce is now!

Stabs in the dark:

• If it's not just a CPL window in the hood like with the 100-400L II (which I think is what we're going to get), I wonder if there's a slicker solution with a dedicated knob/ring that allows turning of the CPL through the hood. Effectively, imagine a very low profile gasketed/silicone 'focus ring' on the hood that would snugly grab the outside of the CPL ring so that you could turn it while the hood is attached. I would love that on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, on my 100L Macro, etc.

• Something fancy with the tripod collar -- perhaps it could be completely attached/removed without having to dismount the lens?

• In-line 1.4x T/C as other have said, but it would make the lens even longer/bulkier to pack and I do not want to know what Canon would charge for that. But surely some folks would pay top dollar for that.

• Perhaps the EF 24-70 f/4L IS 0.7x macro mode? Love that feature on my 24-70, but I don't pro sports / reportage / wedding folks are asking for something like that, are they?

• Another zany idea: they revert to an externally zooming design (telescoped like a 24-something zoom instead of holding constant length) but go all-in to make the most compact 70mm footprint possible (for storage/carry). This strikes me as a flaming leap in the wrong direction, and they already do this with 70-300L for the travelers out there, so file this idea under 'highly unlikely'.

I'm out of ideas. Any others?

- A

Upvote 0
Hector1970 said:
As a normal 70-200mm lens I don’t know how they could improve version II.
It will be interesting to see what they do.
Maybe lighter or better IS but I can’t imagine better image quality.

It is indeed very sharp but the newest version from Nikon indicates it can be sharper still, especially in mid-frame and edges of the frame. Here's a comparison Roger did at Lens Rentals:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/11/nikon-70-200mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-af-s-vr-mtf-tests/

Upvote 0