A new EOS Rebel is coming this month, possibly an EOS Rebel T8i or entry level EOS M camera[CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Yet another Rebel is last thing this world needs imo. Canon might introduce new tech, but not in the bottom models, where they have to introduce compromises anyway. If it is the Rebol instead of new M models, then I start to really scratch my head about Canon's strategy ....

The FD mount Canon T60 was introduced in 1990, 3 years after the EOS was introduced. It was discontinued until 2012. Canon has other markets besides the US market and they know what is selling and needed world wide. Funny how so many on these forums are totally US centric in their opinions as to what a manufacturer should do. I would imagine Canon has a reason for what they are doing that we are not privy to.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What I see (in Germany) is low cost Rebels very often. M cameras very seldom. FF cameras very seldom.

One great advantage of the Rebels is that they do not need a lot of battery so they are ready to shoot without recharging over a much longer period compared to the M cameras. I think that is more important for Joe Average (or Otto Normalverbraucher) than the lots of benefits mirrorless cameras have.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I spent a week with an EOS RP and RF24-105f/4.0L two weeks ago, and I have to say that if there is any singular reason to dive into the R series, its the strength of the lenses. They're unbelievable (in the limited exposure I had). The single biggest negative would be the lack of cross compatibility from the RF lenses back to something else. The lack of an RF-EF adapter makes sense because of the shorter flange distance. An RF to EF-M adapter is a little tougher - the difference in flange distance is only 2mm, but that still seems doable. But there must be a reason why Canon doesn't want to (or can't) make RF lenses usable on EF-M mount cameras like they did with EF mount lenses. Personally, I think that they have to view the M series mirrorless market - which is still pretty strong in Asia - as a completely separate market from the DSLR and R series mirrorless markets, with very little crossover. I am certain that I am an anomaly in that regard.

But it got me to thinking that the rumors of an APS-C R body would be an interesting development in the R mirrorless architecture, as it might fill in a little bit of a gap. Especially now that they've added a "consumer-level" (or at least non-L) lens in the RF 24-240 f/4.0-6.3, it makes me wonder if a small APS-C R body might be a decent seller. As with some of the initial kit offerings with the RP, Canon has also shown that they're not afraid to fill in the lens gaps by including a lens adapter and an EF lens.

So on a rumor scale of negative 50, SWAG (Some Wild Ass Guess) is that an R series Rebel mirrorless camera would be a suitable (and potentially logical) addition to the R series lineup, and potentially a good seller.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
yes! Just as entry level DSLRs are experiencing total market contraction...

Do people even look at sales stats before posting stuff like this? And by 'stuff like this' I'm including the 'everyone is jumping ship to Sony!' nonsense.

CIPA stats show that the entire market is contracting, including mirrorless. DSLRs still out sell mirrorless every where but Japan, but mirrorless now represents more revenue.

The summary report doesn't break data out to this level of detail, but it's a good bet that DSLRs still vastly out sell mirrorless in America and Europe at the low end. And it's quite possible that at the low end revenue is reversed (DSLRs generate more).

Hope those Joeys come out with vastly improved Mk. II versions of EOS M5, M6, M50 and M100 soon, rather than wasting time and money on yet more rebel kisses of death.

At any high traffic tourist spot in America you could go blind trying to count all the Rebels. You could also go an entire day without seeing an M, and that's probably the most popular low end mirrorless made.

As Neuro so often points out, Canon is in this to make money for their investors. That includes catering to the entry level just as much as it includes catering to the high end.

• Love
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
We already have two entry level EOS M cameras. Basically all of them are entry level at this point. A rebel makes more sense, or an entry level RF mount camera.

Hm? The M100 is two years old and getting long in the tooth. It uses the LP-E12 battery that one of the new bodies also uses, per the certification data. The M50 is branded ”Kiss” in Japan so it makes sense that any M100 successor will be as well. It seems perfectly reasonable to expect that we will see both an M5/6 and an M100 successor this month, the latter being our mysterious ”Joey”

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
@dtaylor you might want to educate yourself and pay some attention to what Canon Execs themselves publicly state regarding "market contraction" of entry level DSLRs.

"Canon’s Executive Vice President and CFO Toshizo Tanaka admitted that the company continues to expect camera sales to decline. “In Imaging System, we expect sales and profit of interchangeable-lens cameras to decline, due to the continued impact of mainly entry-class DSLR market contraction,” said Toshizo-san. “However, in the area of mirrorless cameras, where we are focusing our energy, the effects of expanding our lineup will continue to lead to sales growth.”

there you go, Canon knows (finally, after many wasted mirror-laden years). only some forum dwellers are still in denial.

i also expect "Joey" to be a mirrorfree "kiss" - most likely the EOS M100 successor - rather than a "Rebel DSLR".

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The only people in denial are the ones who refuse to accept that DSLR's still comfortably outsell MILC's, and cheap DSLR's outsell expensive DSLR's. Which means two things, one, any camera company that can make money on cheap DSLR's still has a volume market to make money off of, now that market isn't as big as it was but it's still there, and two, any camera company that doesn't service that market is missing out big time.

Sure numbers are changing, but the market is still there to make sales to, and lets not forget Canon make high volume (cheap) DSLR's and MILC's, which makes them the only company eating out of both dishes. Canon don't care if you buy a DSLR or a MILC, but they do want you to be able to buy a Canon.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
look into Canon and Nikon financial reports: inventory levels of low-end DSLRs are extremely high, because they are not selling well any longer. 3 generations of rebels filling up warehouses and shelves. the last thing needed is even more different models of rebel DSLRs.

what's needed is a massive firesale of excess DSLR inventory and consolidation to only 2 rebel DSLRs (SL3 plus the cheapest current model T100/4000D), and much more importantly an excellent lineup of updated EOS M models to combat Sony and take advantage of Nikon not having any crop mirrorfree system cameras at all in their portfolio.

that's what Canon will do. if it really helps sales, they can certainly name EOS M cameras "digital rebel" in the US, "digital kiss" in Japan and "digital Joey" in Oz. we in Europe are a bit more rational and don't need any of that marketing fudge, we are happy with simple, straightforward alphanumeric monikers like M5, M6, M50 and M100. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
We already have two entry level EOS M cameras. Basically all of them are entry level at this point. A rebel makes more sense, or an entry level RF mount camera.
No. The M5 is not entry level, it has advanced features such as focus peaking and full customization. It is hardly a T7.

Upvote 0
No. The M5 is not entry level, it has advanced features such as focus peaking and full customization. It is hardly a T7.

yep. and EOS M50 is even more advanced with notably better AF system. Essentially a mirrorfree 80D at a lower price (MSRP) reflecting lower manufacturing cost of mirrorfree cameras vs. DSLRs.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
@dtaylor you might want to educate yourself and pay some attention to what Canon Execs themselves publicly state regarding "market contraction" of entry level DSLRs. "Canon’s Executive Vice President and CFO Toshizo Tanaka admitted that the company continues to expect camera sales to decline. “In Imaging System, we expect sales and profit of interchangeable-lens cameras to decline, due to the continued impact of mainly entry-class DSLR market contraction,” said Toshizo-san.

This does not contradict anything I posted from CIPA sales stats. Entry level DSLRs can be taking the brunt of the market contraction yet still out sell everything else.

“However, in the area of mirrorless cameras, where we are focusing our energy, the effects of expanding our lineup will continue to lead to sales growth.”

The mirrorless market is not growing, it's contracting along with the entire non-phone camera market. "Sales growth" in this context means a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

only some forum dwellers are still in denial.

Speak for yourself: http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201906_e.pdf

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The only people in denial are the ones who refuse to accept that DSLR's still comfortably outsell MILC's, and cheap DSLR's outsell expensive DSLR's.

We are approaching the crossover point, but you are correct that DSLRs still out sell MILCs. The do so by wide margins in North America and Europe.

Upvote 0