A New Full Frame Zoom Coming in 2016 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that Canon will announce a new full frame zoom lens following the announcement and shipping of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM which <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-16-35mm-f2-8l-iii-coming-in-june-cr3/">we wrote about last week</a>. We expect this lens to be shipping some time in July.</p>
<p>We weren’t told the exact focal length of the lens, but that it would be a replacement for a current non L/DO telephoto zoom. The only lens that we can think of would be a replacement for the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS. We were <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/more-canon-super-telephoto-zoom-talk-cr1/">first told about a replacement for this lens last year</a>, and have been waiting to hear more about it.</p>
<p>This is likely going to be an August announcement, in time for Photokina and the EOS 5D Mark IV.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

The 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS is a nice lens. It was my first Canon lens, I purchased it to replace the Sigma 55-250 which complemented the kit lens of my 300D. I still have it, along with the L version.

Antono Refa said:
IMHO, Canon has done the 70-300mm range to death, and the non-L version would not be upgraded before the L version.

The 70-300L is a recent release, it won't be upgraded anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Pixel said:
unfocused said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
EF 70-300mm STM costing US$600.
A perfect match for the 24-105mm STM.
Not sure about price, but otherwise exactly what I was thinking.
A six year old lens is hardly a "recent release," I'd love to see an update.
For the "L" LENS market, a 6 year old model is still new.
Lens has a refresh cycle much longer than the camera bodies.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
pierlux said:
Antono Refa said:
IMHO, Canon has done the 70-300mm range to death, and the non-L version would not be upgraded before the L version.

It also doesn't need an upgrade. Its about as good as it can get for the price range, similar quality and sharpness as the 100-400ii.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
j-nord said:
pierlux said:
Antono Refa said:

It also doesn't need an upgrade. Its about as good as it can get for the price range, similar quality and sharpness as the 100-400ii.

What it needs is a newer, more expensive tripod ring that is still a separate purchase. :mad:

Upvote 0
RGF said:
I would be nice if Canon provided a near-L quality 28-300 lens. Without the weight nor the price tag.

I agree with this, unfortunately it doesn't match up with the report of a current non-L/DO lens as the target. Canon is leaving a gaping hole in the lineup for full-frame lenses right now. They need a superzoom all-in-one with IS for travel, walk-around, etc.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
neuroanatomist said:
j-nord said:
pierlux said:
Antono Refa said:

What it needs is a newer, more expensive tripod ring that is still a separate purchase. :mad:
I agree, I still find this decision confusing. I guess canon figures most people who buy it aren't going to miss it but those who do want it will pay out the a$$ for it.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon launched three lenses at Photokina in 2014 the EF-S 24mm 2.8 STM, the EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM and the EF 400mm f4 DO IS II (along with the 7D MKII) so conceivably they could show a similar number in September. With the almost certain appearance of the 5D MKIV I would not be surprised to see at least one L lens (EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM II please Canon).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dilbert said:
hkenneth said:
I just purchased a Tamron 70-300mm last month... If this lens is indeed 70-300mm with better IQ I'm gonna be pissed (although I feel it is very likely true).

Why? The Tamron lens is cheaper than what is being speculated here.

The Tamron 70-300 DI LD F4-5.6 sells around here for $230......
The Tamron 70-300 DI VC F4-5.6 sells around here for $500......
The Canon 75-300 F4-5.6 AF sells around here for $280......
The Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS sells around here for $500...... normally $650....

I could see Canon updating either lens..... and since they already cost more than the Tamron, and it is a safe bet that an updated lens will cost more than it's predecessor, so my bet is that the new Canon lens will be an update of the IS version, and that it will sell for about 1.5 times the cost of the equivalent Tamron, so that means somewhere around $750 here in Canada.... and no, it will almost certainly NOT be optically superior to the Tamron, probably both will be somewhat comparable.....

Some will buy Canon, Some will buy Tamron, and some will order a pizza.....

Upvote 0