A New Style of Camera From Canon Currently Being Tested [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A new Canon camera is currently in the testing phase, we’re unsure if it has made its way in the hands of any of the Explorers of Light photographers. Apparently. it’s like nothing seen previously from Canon. This information came from someone who saw one of the test cameras. There are no specifications or mention of whether or not it’s a video or stills camera, but we did get some interesting descriptions about the appearance of the camera.</p>

<ul>
<li>The camera looks “substantially dissimilar” from any other Canon camera body</li>
<li>A large DSLR-like hand-grip and is deeper/thicker than any of the existing mirrorless bodies, but doesn’t look like a DSLR at all.</li>
<li>A “modern looking” square LCD top screen, with options to display different screens and menus.</li>
<li>Announcement date internally is scheduled for September, 2018.</li>
</ul>
<p>The only thing that comes to mind for us is <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-xc15-style-camera-coming-with-ef-mount-cr2/">this patent of an XC15 shaped camera with an EF mount</a>. While the image from the patent doesn’t show a top LCD, and the patent itself is for one handed removal of a lens and not about the mount or the camera it does have a large DSLR grip and is thicker than any other mirrorless.</p>
<p>This could be a new take on the XC15, or something else. Though if it resembled the XC15 in any way, I would have expected that to have been mentioned by the source. Perhaps the body was seen without a lens attached. We’ll have to wait and see if we get more information.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ClickIt_AC said:
A Canon medium format?

That would be pretty awesome. But it would entail a significant investment on new lens production. And they'd have to think of a way to differentiate themselves from Fuji, Hassy, and Pentax. Maybe follow Leica's lead and go for a 45mm x 30mm sensor to retain the 3:2 aspect ratio of full-frame.

Upvote 0
Just a note on this sort of design...

That key element of this design is that the direction of the lens operates somewhat independently from the grip. The problem with that sort of design is that the grip very often is constant with the camera operators face, so it makes less sense to have the screen on the lens part of the two-part structure, as that screen will move in and out of view of the operator. A better variant of this design would be for the monitor to be placed on the *grip* part, and the lens to be slewed independently of the rest. You can solve that issue by having an articulated screen, but then you need to operate three different components, aspects, and that sounds very wearying.

That said, if you were using a very large lens, you would have problems with the lens being the non-gripped, articulating element. Interesting design conundrum.

Upvote 0
Canoneer said:
ClickIt_AC said:
A Canon medium format?

Maybe follow Leica's lead and go for a 45mm x 30mm sensor to retain the 3:2 aspect ratio of full-frame.

Personally I don't think a 3:2 aspect ratio would be awesome at all. Many people who shoot MF (film or digital) like the wider aspect ratio for shooting people. It's also closer to the old 8x10 and 11x14 standards. Now, I realize digital has changed things a lot, and "standards" don't really mean as much. But I for one would like a camera where I don't always have to crop to get the aspect ratio I like, and in the process waste so many pixels/resolution that I'm paying for in a sensor. Maybe those who like the 3:2 ratio should have to crop for a change :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Chaitanya said:
That drawing reminds me of earlier generations of Powershot cameras esp Pro 70 or Pro 90 IS.
CanonGrunt said:
The handgrip on the side looks detachable. It pretty much looks likes a mini c100 with no top handle, and a little bit more towards DSLR style than the C series, but it definitely looks similar to a c100.
Dfunk99 said:
Looks kind of like the Pro 1 from the drawing.

Guys, that isn't the camera. That's just a drawing that CR Guy recycled from a patent illustration, totally unrelated.

Upvote 0
tmroper said:
Canoneer said:
ClickIt_AC said:
A Canon medium format?

Maybe follow Leica's lead and go for a 45mm x 30mm sensor to retain the 3:2 aspect ratio of full-frame.

Personally I don't think a 3:2 aspect ratio would be awesome at all. Many people who shoot MF (film or digital) like the wider aspect ratio for shooting people. It's also closer to the old 8x10 and 11x14 standards. Now, I realize digital has changed things a lot, and "standards" don't really mean as much. But I for one would like a camera where I don't always have to crop to get the aspect ratio I like, and in the process waste so many pixels/resolution that I'm paying for in a sensor. Maybe those who like the 3:2 ratio should have to crop for a change :)

I prefer the 4:3 ratio as well. But if Canon opted for a 3:2 medium format system with 45x30 dimensions, then they could adapt every single lens for the other MF cameras on it due to the smaller image circle (645 mount, XCD mount, GF mount, and the Leica S mount). Provided of course that it's a mirrorless body - I'm pretty sure it would have to be.

But I doubt it's a medium format camera. Probably a new cinema camera like a lot of people are guessing.

Upvote 0
Let's me think about a rough artists concept ... an artists rough concept I made 5 years ago - see image below and submitted some years ago ( https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7114.msg131220#msg131220 ).

Now I would like to have sth. like a 12mm extension ring as adapter to get EF flange distance (reusing old glass!) but I would like to have the ring around the mount in such a beast to set e.g. the aperture. While using mostly primes or a zoom with preset focal length AND AF I have the left hand free to choose one parameter without any effort (like 30 years ago with FD lenses).
Now I am really back in the "100mm Macro (equiv) can do 95% for me camp" - no longer ultrawide and long tele addicted.

In general I think the SL2 is really close to that design. Compared to the D77 it has a more comfortable grip but they cut away some 15mm from the left side to keep overall size small.

Attachments

• michaelB66energy_mirrorless_concept.png
    michaelB66energy_mirrorless_concept.png
    303.5 KB · Views: 1,218
Upvote 0
Most likely the Canon FF mirrorless which is supposed to be appearing around Sept 2018. The image accompanying the post seems to have caused a lot of confusion, but the actual description doesn't mention body which rotates separately to the grip, just a camera with a deep grip which looks different to a Canon DSLR. So, most likely, a new mirrorless then?

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
unfocused said:
Chaitanya said:
That drawing reminds me of earlier generations of Powershot cameras esp Pro 70 or Pro 90 IS.
CanonGrunt said:
The handgrip on the side looks detachable. It pretty much looks likes a mini c100 with no top handle, and a little bit more towards DSLR style than the C series, but it definitely looks similar to a c100.
Dfunk99 said:
Looks kind of like the Pro 1 from the drawing.

Guys, that isn't the camera. That's just a drawing that CR Guy recycled from a patent illustration, totally unrelated.

Whoops. Well, I like it anyway...

Upvote 0