A pair of 24-70mm f/2.8L IS lenses coming in 2019? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that Canon will definitely release an RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS in 2019. We don’t think that is a big secret as Canon has mentioned there are a few f/2.8 zoom lenses coming next year. We also suspect a wide angle f/2.8L zoom is coming as well as an RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.
The same source says Canon will likely release an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS sometime in 2019, possibly as early as May 2019.
There were no details given as to when we could expect an RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS, but suspect it’ll be in the 2nd half of next year.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 12, 2016
I hope the RF zooms are substantially smaller and lighter than the EF versions.
I'd rather have an RF 16-35 f/4L than an f/2.8L purely based on size and weight.

If Sony's lenses are any guide, they won't be any smaller or lighter.

Projecting a full frame image circle onto a sensor at a wide aperture takes a lot of glass, that's just how it is. It doesn't matter all that much if you move the lens a little closer or further away from the sensor. Opens up a few more possibilities for lens design, but still...

Also... So now this news comes out the day after I finally got fed up with Canon's lack of IBIS and no stabilized 24-70 2.8 and broke down and ordered a Tamron? :mad:

Also, are they really going to make both an EF and an RF 24-70 f2.8 IS? That's a really tough choice to make at this stage in the game, with the options for EF cameras much more rounded out than RF.

I mean I assume the RF lens will be the one that is more relevant further into the future, as I think RF cameras will eventually take over. But right now it seems kind of limiting to by an RF only lens if a similar one comes out in EF and can be used on either EF or RF cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Also, are they really going to make both an EF and an RF 24-70 f2.8 IS? That's a really tough choice to make at this stage in the game, with the options for EF cameras much more rounded out than RF.

I mean I assume the RF lens will be the one that is more relevant further into the future, as I think RF cameras will eventually take over. But right now it seems kind of limiting to by an RF only lens if a similar one comes out in EF and can be used on either EF or RF cameras.

Even if the two are identically optically (which would be unlikely), and even if they were the same weight (again, unlikely), it's more than likely that the RF lens would have better autofocus speed and performance due to the new communication protocols. Whether that would be enough to make a difference in day to day shooting is anyone's guess. But you can be sure if there's a difference it'll be big in the marketing.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Etienne said:
I hope the RF zooms are substantially smaller and lighter than the EF versions.
I'd rather have an RF 16-35 f/4L than an f/2.8L purely based on size and weight.
The 16-35mm f/4 IS (OSS) and f/2.8 GM Sony lenses are both a good bit lighter and smaller than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS or f/2.8 III equivalents (plus adapter) this is where some gain could be noticeable as opposed to standard zooms or tele zooms.

Upvote 0

Projecting a full frame image circle onto a sensor at a wide aperture takes a lot of glass, that's just how it is. It doesn't matter all that much if you move the lens a little closer or further away from the sensor. Opens up a few more possibilities for lens design, but still...

My Leica Summilux 35mm 1.4 is TINY compared to all these Canon beasts (including the 35L 1.4), and doesn't seem to have all that much glass. So it must be more a matter of the AF and IS motors, etc.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
With the news of 24-70 2.8 IS and 70-200 2.8, the likelihood of Canon release a professional FF mirrorless with high FPS 26 mpx camera is more likely vs 6DII equivalent like some people suggested here.

I'd like to think so, but I don't think they have the affordable sensor tech to be able to do that yet. If they do then the EOS R was just an emergency project to get something out quicker to take the wind out of Nikon's sails, while they complete what should have been the launch RF camera....

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The 16-35mm f/4 IS (OSS) and f/2.8 GM Sony lenses are both a good bit lighter and smaller than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS or f/2.8 III equivalents (plus adapter) this is where some gain could be noticeable as opposed to standard zooms or tele zooms.

?

The 16-35 f/4 IS, the Sony is 518 g to Canon's 615 g. The Sony is shorter.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=1009&LensComp=949

The 16-35 f/2.8 the Sony is 680g to Canon's 790 g and are very similar in size:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=1177&LensComp=1073

Similar to the RF lenses to EF, you seem to save 10-20% in weight. In some instances, this may be significant....but in most, I view this as pretty minimal. So, I would expect RF lenses to continue this trend (no adapter needed to the EOS-R), and be 10-20% lighter.
This is why I still see the place for the M series. They are very much smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Even if the two are identically optically (which would be unlikely), and even if they were the same weight (again, unlikely), it's more than likely that the RF lens would have better autofocus speed and performance due to the new communication protocols. Whether that would be enough to make a difference in day to day shooting is anyone's guess. But you can be sure if there's a difference it'll be big in the marketing.
Right, but what I'm saying is that right now there is no RF camera that comes close to the capabilities of something like a 1DX II, and it's arguable whether or not the EOS R is as good as the 5D IV.

So while there's no doubt that an RF lens could be made with more advanced technology, quicker autofocus, etc than an EF lens, if you bought one at this point, you'd be limiting yourself to not being able to use it on Canon's most capable camera.

Like others have just said, this makes it more likely that a more capable RF camera will be announced before or at the same time as this lens, to avoid the conundrum of buying a more advanced lens but only being able to use it on a less capable camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Right, but what I'm saying is that right now there is no RF camera that comes close to the capabilities of something like a 1DX II, and it's arguable whether or not the EOS R is as good as the 5D IV.

So while there's no doubt that an RF lens could be made with more advanced technology, quicker autofocus, etc than an EF lens, if you bought one at this point, you'd be limiting yourself to not being able to use it on Canon's most capable camera.

Like others have just said, this makes it more likely that a more capable RF camera will be announced before or at the same time as this lens, to avoid the conundrum of buying a more advanced lens but only being able to use it on a less capable camera.

I totally agree. But there are some weird people out there with only one camera body, and if that's an EOS R .. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
?

The 16-35 f/4 IS, the Sony is 518 g to Canon's 615 g. The Sony is shorter.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=1009&LensComp=949

The 16-35 f/2.8 the Sony is 680g to Canon's 790 g and are very similar in size:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=1177&LensComp=1073

Similar to the RF lenses to EF, you seem to save 10-20% in weight. In some instances, this may be significant....but in most, I view this as pretty minimal. So, I would expect RF lenses to continue this trend (no adapter needed to the EOS-R), and be 10-20% lighter.
This is why I still see the place for the M series. They are very much smaller and lighter.
Yes but as I wrote the adapter should be added as well. They can make pancake lenses as well if they want to later on, although I don't see one on this picture, not sure if this is all illustration or there are future lenses presented on it. Image quality seems to be the main priority here, so yes, they've managed to separate the M system very well.

Upvote 0
I'd like to think so, but I don't think they have the affordable sensor tech to be able to do that yet. If they do then the EOS R was just an emergency project to get something out quicker to take the wind out of Nikon's sails, while they complete what should have been the launch RF camera....

Who knows. EOS R could be their less ambitious camera that's why it's release first. They could be saving all the best tech with the best lens line up for their professional FF mirrorless camera BUT it means releasing later to work out some of the obstacles they had to deal with.

With Samsung entering the sensor market, I would love for Canon to use their FF sensor like Panasonic was rumored to use. Samsung can definite challenge Sony for sensor dominant.

Upvote 0