A Powershot update by September?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gman

'More announcements coming
... expect two more announcements before Photokina begins in September. ... as well as the usual PowerShot upgrades.' (CRF)

Hmm 'the usual Powershot upgrades', I wonder whatever that might mean? The S100 sensor and a Digic 5 processor plus a 24mm to 140mm zoom, in the same G12 body? Or will they try to slim it down a bit, a sort of cross between the S100 and the EOS M keeping the articulated screen but making it touch sensitive to reduce the buttons and dials?

G

Gman

:)
Mmmmm, I like the latest rumour, a new Powershot to replace the G12 by the end of August, I can hardly wait, I dare to say I am almost desperate to see it and would almost be tempted to pre order one even without seeing the specs should it become available just in time for my next trip to Japan.
I just hope it's not an announcement like with the EOS M, announced now but not available till October !

Upvote 0
Is the S100 and G12 successors still expected to be announced by the end of the month?

Gman said:
:)
Mmmmm, I like the latest rumour, a new Powershot to replace the G12 by the end of August, I can hardly wait, I dare to say I am almost desperate to see it and would almost be tempted to pre order one even without seeing the specs should it become available just in time for my next trip to Japan.
I just hope it's not an announcement like with the EOS M, announced now but not available till October !

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Well, we have had two Powershot upgrades this month so I guess it would be too much to hope that there would be anymore announcements of anything other upgrades before September :(
I guess if Canon have anything else up their sleeves they might wait now until Photokina 18th to the 23rd Sep.
http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php
after all surely they dont want to give away all their thunder after the EOS M and the two new Powershots?

From Tech Radar
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/photokina-2012-what-wed-like-to-see-1086134
"Canon G13
UPDATE: The latest rumours suggest that Canon will reveal a new Powershot G13 in August, before Photokina. It has also been suggested that the S100 will also be replaced or upgraded."
I hope they are right but it will be cutting it fine.
See aslo
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/canon-to-replace-the-g12-in-august-1091213

I really dont want the EOS M it's a nice body but by the time you start adding lenses it's no longer a travel companion like the G11 and G12. I do hope I am not going to be pushed into getting the Sony before the G13 becomes available.
Cmon now Canon dont push me to the competition! ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the links. I assume you are looking at the RX100?

You would think at this point Canon would get out the S100 given the recent lens error issues and for how long the G12 has been out now. The competition is not sitting still and would think they wouldn't want to lose any other customers to the competition at this point. The EOS M seems nice, but much prefer the S or G line.

Forgot when is was mentioned, but now I cannot find the rumor on here that mentioned the Powershot announcements with the small f/1.9 camera and G13 referenced.

Gman said:
Well, we have had two Powershot upgrades this month so I guess it would be too much to hope that there would be anymore announcements of anything other upgrades before September :(
I guess if Canon have anything else up their sleeves they might wait now until Photokina 18th to the 23rd Sep.
http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php
after all surely they dont want to give away all their thunder after the EOS M and the two new Powershots?

From Tech Radar
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/photokina-2012-what-wed-like-to-see-1086134
"Canon G13
UPDATE: The latest rumours suggest that Canon will reveal a new Powershot G13 in August, before Photokina. It has also been suggested that the S100 will also be replaced or upgraded."
I hope they are right but it will be cutting it fine.
See aslo
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/canon-to-replace-the-g12-in-august-1091213

I really dont want the EOS M it's a nice body but by the time you start adding lenses it's no longer a travel companion like the G11 and G12. I do hope I am not going to be pushed into getting the Sony before the G13 becomes available.
Cmon now Canon dont push me to the competition! ;)

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Yes you are right. I am thinking of the Sony RX100. Unfortunately no articulated screen and lousy zoom but looks nice and has had some good reviews.

I am going to Japan early October and really want to replace my G11 before I go as despite a recent repair I am still unable to focus in macro in manual mode although the camera will struggle to focus in macro in full auto.

My G11 really let me down on some once in a lifetime shots on my last Japanese trip and I dont want the same thing happening again.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

powershot2012 said:
Understandable, here is hoping Canon steps up its game in the S100 successor, otherwise the pocket camera of the year will be the RX100.

Gman said:
Yes you are right. I am thinking of the Sony RX100.

It would be a great pity if I lashed out £500 more in desperation than in common sense, on an RX100 only to find later that Canon trumps it with a genuine successor to the G12 :(

Upvote 0
The G12 successor will likely be in its current orm, larger than RX100 and not pocket size which is the purpose of the S series. MAs for sensor size, I don't see Canon jeopardizing the G1X but going anything larger than its current 1/1.7".

Next week we sold hear from Nikon which is suppose to announce a largers sensor compact to either replace the P7100 r spinoff a new line.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:
Understandable, here is hoping Canon steps up its game in the S100 successor, otherwise the pocket camera of the year will be the RX100.

Gman said:

It would be a great pity if I lashed out £500 more in desperation than in common sense, on an RX100 only to find later that Canon trumps it with a genuine successor to the G12 :(

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
The G12 successor will likely be in its current orm, larger than RX100 and not pocket size which is the purpose of the S series. MAs for sensor size, I don't see Canon jeopardizing the G1X but going anything larger than its current 1/1.7".

Next week we sold hear from Nikon which is suppose to announce a largers sensor compact to either replace the P7100 r spinoff a new line.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:

Gman said:

You are probably correct in saying that the next Gxx wont have a bigger sensor in order not to cannibalise sales of the G1X but they might replace the current sensor with a cmos or more advanced type of sensor. The other thing they might do is introduce a better lens, we still have not seen the hinted at camera with an ƒ1.9 lens they could also introduce a 24mm to 150mm, 6x or greater zoom?

My final comment for the moment is that they could reduce the number of physical controls and make the screen a touch screen as on the new EOS-M making the design sleeker and perhaps even lighter?

Upvote 0
Could definitely see a faster lens (something like the X10 would be ideal) and a newer sensor.

I don't see Canon dropping the lens to ƒ1.9 in the G12 successor, but more like the S100 successor.

Are you following the Nikon announcement?

Gman said:
You are probably correct in saying that the next Gxx wont have a bigger sensor in order not to cannibalise sales of the G1X but they might replace the current sensor with a cmos or more advanced type of sensor. The other thing they might do is introduce a better lens, we still have not seen the hinted at camera with an ƒ1.9 lens they could also introduce a 24mm to 150mm, 6x or greater zoom?

My final comment for the moment is that they could reduce the number of physical controls and make the screen a touch screen as on the new EOS-M making the design sleeker and perhaps even lighter?

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
Could definitely see a faster lens (something like the X10 would be ideal) and a newer sensor.

I don't see Canon dropping the lens to ƒ1.9 in the G12 successor, but more like the S100 successor.

Gman said:

What Nikon announcement? A successor to the G12 and the RX100?

Upvote 0
Its either the P7200 or another new line in the Coolpix lineup. Suppose to be announced on the 22nd; a larger sensor compact.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:

Gman said:

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
Its either the P7200 or another new line in the Coolpix lineup. Suppose to be announced on the 22nd; a larger sensor compact.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:

Gman said:

I had wondered about the 7100 but did a comparison with the G12 and the G12 won
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=41597879

I'll be very interested to see what Nikon do with the 7200 as the sensor on the 7100 did not get rave reviews. If it's not better that the G12 and there's no G12 replacement in the shops by mid September I can see myself being tempted by the RX100 as if you drop the pixels from 20mp to 10mp apparently it increases the zoom range from 3.6 to 5.1x . I only just discovered that little tip. Better a camera with at least 5x zoom and 10mp than 20mp and only 3.6 zoom.

So thanks for the news, I'll be watching with baited breath.

Upvote 0
On the RX100, think you are referring to Clear Zoom which automatically gives it 7.1x and something like 10x if you drop it to 10mp. This is non digital.

As for the Nikon, seems like it will hopefully be a whole new camera with a 1" sensor instead of the current 1/1.7" which is in the G12, P7100, and S100.

Gman said:
I'll be very interested to see what Nikon do with the 7200 as the sensor on the 7100 did not get rave reviews. If it's not better that the G12 and there's no G12 replacement in the shops by mid September I can see myself being tempted by the RX100 as if you drop the pixels from 20mp to 10mp apparently it increases the zoom range from 3.6 to 5.1x . I only just discovered that little tip. Better a camera with at least 5x zoom and 10mp than 20mp and only 3.6 zoom.

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
On the RX100, think you are referring to Clear Zoom which automatically gives it 7.1x and something like 10x if you drop it to 10mp. This is non digital.

As for the Nikon, seems like it will hopefully be a whole new camera with a 1" sensor instead of the current 1/1.7" which is in the G12, P7100, and S100.

Gman said:

If that's the case then like I said, if there's no G12 replacement by Photokina I'll be getting an RX100.

Upvote 0
Some further thoughts on the new Nikon P7700 which although having same size sensor as the old G12 has the new CMOS configuration, it has an articulated screen like the G12 and it is also has a better brighter zoom ƒ2 to ƒ4 28mm -200mm equiv.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpp7700

It's almost as though this was the Canon's own update to the G12! So I wonder what Canon have up their sleeve for Photokina (if anything) seeing that Nikon have seemingly stolen their thunder? What could Canon possibly do that could be a competitor to the P 7700? Of course they would have to have a CMOS sensor or better and a digic 5 processor against the present one. What about the zoom? 7.1X on the Nikon with an ƒ2 max could the Canon at least have a 24mm to say 180mm zoom to cover the wide angle end?

If and when Canon eventually surprises us with a G13 or 14, it would be interesting to see the two cameras go head to head on IQ and speed of use. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough challenge.

Apparently the Nikon is scheduled for release on the 27th of September so Canon could still bring out something at Photokina but I am left wondering what it could possibly be given the options that the P7700 provide. It's even quite a bit lighter than the old G12.

Anyone else out there got any thoughts on what Canon might do to really compete with the P7700? I like it a lot and apart from the sensor size I'd certainly prefer this over the Sony RX100.

Upvote 0
If Canon goes with a 24mm lens, look more for about a 24-120 mm lens.

Gman said:
Some further thoughts on the new Nikon P7700 which although having same size sensor as the old G12 has the new CMOS configuration, it has an articulated screen like the G12 and it is also has a better brighter zoom ƒ2 to ƒ4 28mm -200mm equiv.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpp7700

It's almost as though this was the Canon's own update to the G12! So I wonder what Canon have up their sleeve for Photokina (if anything) seeing that Nikon have seemingly stolen their thunder? What could Canon possibly do that could be a competitor to the P 7700? Of course they would have to have a CMOS sensor or better and a digic 5 processor against the present one. What about the zoom? 7.1X on the Nikon with an ƒ2 max could the Canon at least have a 24mm to say 180mm zoom to cover the wide angle end?

If and when Canon eventually surprises us with a G13 or 14, it would be interesting to see the two cameras go head to head on IQ and speed of use. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough challenge.

Apparently the Nikon is scheduled for release on the 27th of September so Canon could still bring out something at Photokina but I am left wondering what it could possibly be given the options that the P7700 provide. It's even quite a bit lighter than the old G12.

Anyone else out there got any thoughts on what Canon might do to really compete with the P7700? I like it a lot and apart from the sensor size I'd certainly prefer this over the Sony RX100.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.