A Powershot update by September?

Status
Not open for further replies.
powershot2012 said:
If Canon goes with a 24mm lens, look more for about a 24-120 mm lens.

Gman said:
Some further thoughts on the new Nikon P7700 which although having same size sensor as the old G12 has the new CMOS configuration, it has an articulated screen like the G12 and it is also has a better brighter zoom ƒ2 to ƒ4 28mm -200mm equiv.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpp7700

It's almost as though this was the Canon's own update to the G12! So I wonder what Canon have up their sleeve for Photokina (if anything) seeing that Nikon have seemingly stolen their thunder? What could Canon possibly do that could be a competitor to the P 7700? Of course they would have to have a CMOS sensor or better and a digic 5 processor against the present one. What about the zoom? 7.1X on the Nikon with an ƒ2 max could the Canon at least have a 24mm to say 180mm zoom to cover the wide angle end?

If and when Canon eventually surprises us with a G13 or 14, it would be interesting to see the two cameras go head to head on IQ and speed of use. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough challenge.

Apparently the Nikon is scheduled for release on the 27th of September so Canon could still bring out something at Photokina but I am left wondering what it could possibly be given the options that the P7700 provide. It's even quite a bit lighter than the old G12.

Anyone else out there got any thoughts on what Canon might do to really compete with the P7700? I like it a lot and apart from the sensor size I'd certainly prefer this over the Sony RX100.

How do you come to that conclusion? If Nikon can put a 28mm to 200mm lens on an almost identical size body to the G12, why couldn't Canon put a 24mm to 180mm or even 170mm mm lens on the same body, that's assuming of course that the next iteration of the G12 is going to have the same size body?

Upvote 0
How do you come to that conclusion? If Nikon can put a 28mm to 200mm lens on an almost identical size body to the G12, why couldn't Canon put a 24mm to 180mm or even 170mm mm lens on the same body, that's assuming of course that the next iteration of the G12 is going to have the same size body?

not only that but Nikon have done it with a similar size body (slightly lighter) admittedly the viewfinder has gone but it is an ƒ2 to ƒ4 lens which is not bad.

I find it strange that there dont seem to be any 'reliable' rumours for a G12 successor - are Canon waiting to surprise us with a bigger sensor, a longer zoom and a smaller body, something between the present G12 and the G1X or has the G12 become the end of the line?

Upvote 0
All I can think of was something delayed the G12 and S100 successors even further given some recent introductions, especially the RX100. This camera alone is impacting the S100, G12, and the G1X sales. What could Canon do at this point to match or beat Sony? They are going to need something besides their minimal upgrades, otherwise they are going to get lost in the crowd.

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
All I can think of was something delayed the G12 and S100 successors even further given some recent introductions, especially the RX100. This camera alone is impacting the S100, G12, and the G1X sales. What could Canon do at this point to match or beat Sony? They are going to need something besides their minimal upgrades, otherwise they are going to get lost in the crowd.
Now they even have to contend with a Nikon, G12 lookalike, the P7700 with CMOS sensor, and a longer brighter zoom. They are going to have to hurry up or they will miss the boat with folks flocking to buy competitors better machines.
I for one will be thinking seriously about the 20Mp 1" CMOS sensored RX100 pretty soon! Surely if Sony can fit a 1" sensor into that tiny body, Canon can?

Photokina now only three weeks away!

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Well folks it's September already, autumn on the way for some of us and Photokina is now only two weeks away.

Still total silence from Canon on whether or not there is even going to be a G12 successor. Was the G1X in fact the answer to a Powershot successor despite all those who said it wasn't. People complained it was expensive for what it was, others complained about it's limitations, not a lot of rave reviews and the price even dropped pretty quickly for a new camera.

So what have we had from Canon? Two updated Powershots neither in the same category as the G12 and the EOS M mirrorless which although announced will not be available till mid to late October. Not including the announcements of the bigger professional bodies.

I have talked a lot about my frustration of not having a G12+ whatever number the next iteration might be and the relative merits of what I consider to be the two closest competitors, the Sony RX100 and the Nikon P7700. I really cannot make any value decision until Phototkina even if there is a pre exhibition announcement. Because we might be in the same situation as with the EOS M, announced but not available until.....

I have seen the arguments against owning a Sony and do hesitate to buy a new Sony just before heading off on holiday JIC something goes wrong with it especially as it's quite expensive for what it is. I was reminded today of trying to shoot in sunlight with a non articulated screen and no viewfinder, all I could see was the reflection of my face in the screen and that was with a screen hood as well. So at this rate am I going to end up with the Nikon if Canon dont make an announcement pretty soon? In the meantime the Nikon wont be available till the end of the month anyway so no real assessments for a while afterwards anyway.

Maybe the most sensible thing to do wil be just to take my old G11 on holiday and wait till I get back before making any decisions.??? :(

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate?

Going on travel? Get the RX100 if you like, set it on Auto, and everything is good to go. Far better performance than what you will find in the Canon successors. Right now, Sony has the market and I don't see Canon matching the RX100 at this late the game...maybe next year.

Gman said:
I have seen the arguments against owning a Sony and do hesitate to buy a new Sony just before heading off on holiday JIC something goes wrong with it especially as it's quite expensive for what it is.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

powershot2012 said:
Can you elaborate?

Going on travel? Get the RX100 if you like, set it on Auto, and everything is good to go. Far better performance than what you will find in the Canon successors. Right now, Sony has the market and I don't see Canon matching the RX100 at this late the game...maybe next year.

Gman said:
I have seen the arguments against owning a Sony and do hesitate to buy a new Sony just before heading off on holiday JIC something goes wrong with it especially as it's quite expensive for what it is.

I have seen a lot of criticism about Sony's poor service record.

Upvote 0
Guess when you buy a good product like the RX100, service records become second nature.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:
Can you elaborate?

Gman said:

I have seen a lot of criticism about Sony's poor service record.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

I have decided to wait.

I had a bad experience with an old Nikon (S10) during the week with a flat screen where all I could see outdoors was the reflection of my face even with a screen hood. Seems silly to rush to buy something only to regret later. My G11 has been repaired and I am now aware of it's low light limitations and understand the problem with ficussing in macro mode - it only works on wide angle!

If Canon dont eventually bring out a successor to the PS G12 I will go for the Nikon P7700 which looks almost as though it were Canon's successor to the G12 even to the articulated screen.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.