A Prototype Full Frame Mirrorless From Canon Exists [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We reported back in January that Canon had a mystery camera with a new body style in prototype form. We’re now being told by the same source that the camera in question is a full frame mirrorless camera prototype.</p>
<p>We were told a few things about the appearance of the camera.</p>
<ul>
<li>It has a top down LCD like the Leica SL.</li>
<li>The flange distance looks too short for it to be an EF mount, but no lens was attached to the body to be sure.</li>
<li>A press of the shutter button in burst mode sounded like it shot over 10fps.</li>
<li>There were no markings on branding on the body</li>
</ul>
<p>These sorts of leaks are rare, but they more often than not turn out to have some kind of truth to them. I expect multiple full frame mirrorless prototypes to exist.</p>
<p>There is nothing on the 2018 road map that suggests Canon will be announcing a full frame mirrorless camera this year, though that could still change between now and Photokina, but we put the possibility of this happening quite low.</p>
<p>We have been told that the second half of 2018 is going to be “a lot more interesting” than the first half.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Feb 13, 2016
-pekr- said:
What is a "top down" LCD? Is it an LCD, which is on top of the camera? Would you want to have one, with a mirrorless?

Yes, that's what it is. Leica SL has it, as do Fuji GFX and X-H1. Instant review of settings without having to look though the camera. It's better to have it than to not have it.

If Canon decides to do FF mirrorless, they will very likely make a better camera than Sony.

Upvote 0
Nah, don’t believe this story. It’s the sort of rubbish that a ‘source fisher’ comes up with: just enough detail to be attributable, vague enough that it can be interpreted many ways and without any ‘killer details’ that give the source away as a hoaxer if the actual release is substantially different. These sorts of ‘rumours’ are there to establish Bulls**tters as ‘a source that has been correct in the past’, so that they can get a kick from winding everyone up with a load of fake specs that get a ‘CR2’ label.

If this ‘source’ actually had access to a camera, they’d be under NDA and would know a lot more about it than this. If not, are you truly expecting me to believe that a random employee had enough access to a test body to establish that it was full frame, mirrorless and had a 10fps(ish) frame rate, but never saw a lens mounted?

Shenanigans!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
fentiger said:
Chaitanya said:
Other day I saw unicorn it had adamantium horns and pooped gold out of its rearside.
yeah but unicorns have only one horn, the gold coloured poo is a result of food poisoning !!

Indeed, proves fentiger has never actually seen one. And they don't produce gold coloured poo ;)

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
fentiger said:
Chaitanya said:
Other day I saw unicorn it had adamantium horns and pooped gold out of its rearside.
yeah but unicorns have only one horn, the gold coloured poo is a result of food poisoning !!

Indeed, proves fentiger has never actually seen one. And they don't produce gold coloured poo ;)
indeed we don't have these exotic creatures here in the flatlands of cambridgeshire, But i have seen flying pigs and people with webbed feet, honest its true ;D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
sanj said:
But Canon has a blind, mass following and their products will sell.

Why do people who think they know better insist that many Canon purchasers are just "blind ...followers"? At the entry level Canon compete on price, and do it very effectively, in the middle level they are competitive because of many intangible reasons and DPAF, principally their cameras, lenses and accessories 'just work', at the pro level they provide unmatched features like the 400 DO II, a true range of world class TS-E lenses, reliable products, DPAF, best in class 4k capture, and reliability and back up service second to none in the industry.

For many these features add up to way more personally relevant 'features' than a couple of bullet points on a spec sheet that normally have caveats that make the 'feature' less than useful.

I'm not saying a Canon camera is the answer to every purchasers needs, but it is the genuine best answer for a lot of them.

Upvote 0

neogomo

Fuji X100 Ricoh GR / GRX Olympus E-P2 Minolta CLE
Apr 22, 2014
Antono Refa said:
What would Canon gain from developing a completely new mount, in contrast to using EF with a shorter flange distance as done for EOS-M?

Interesting idea, didn’t think of that possibility to keep the EF-mount but with different flange distance. That would make a lot of sense. You can use your old Canon glass without adapter or with one to keep the field of view as used to. And many new lenses for the new shorter flange distance could also be sold.

Doing it that way could please almost anybody I think.

Upvote 0