A Prototype Full Frame Mirrorless From Canon Exists [CR1]

May 11, 2017
bwud said:
Chaitanya said:
ByThom summarised presstitute behaviour

Hah, that’s a great term. I wonder if Sony’s promotions team (I try not to conflate that with marketing, of which it is merely a small part) has managed to build up a sycophantic media following, or whether this is just indicative of the sensational, hysteria style reporting which has become so ubiquitous in the press at large.

It's both syncophants and hysterics. Admittedly, the $2000 price tag is newsworthy. Wonder what it will do to sales of the Sony cameras at the higher price levels.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
BillB said:
bwud said:
Chaitanya said:
ByThom summarised presstitute behaviour

Hah, that’s a great term. I wonder if Sony’s promotions team (I try not to conflate that with marketing, of which it is merely a small part) has managed to build up a sycophantic media following, or whether this is just indicative of the sensational, hysteria style reporting which has become so ubiquitous in the press at large.

It's both syncophants and hysterics. Admittedly, the $2000 price tag is newsworthy. Wonder what it will do to sales of the Sony cameras at the higher price levels.

My guess is: not much.

The people after resolution will still be attracted to the R model. Those who need the best AF system will still be attracted to the A9. This release invites upgrades from those who are priced out of the higher end models and/or don’t need what they offer.

Had a7iii been announced and released alongside a7riii, I’d still have purchased the latter.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
mb66energy said:
Yes, joyonralph, that's true. I am one of those who really would like to reuse my FD lenses on a full frame camera e.g. 4.0 17, 50mm macro, 1.4 50, 2.5 135 and without FD compatibility I will switch to SONY.

... o.k., that is not the main reason why I really want a shorter flange distance of the camera mount - I think there are better ways to do ultra IQ wide angles on mirrorless cameras because you can use the last millimeters in front of the sensor for glass to bend the light in some optimized way to get the best IQ possible. If the adapter fits nicely to the camera and can be locked to the camera by some mechanism I do not see a major difference between that solution and a native EF-mount. O.k., native EF makes more room inside the body but that is marginal IMO.

Well... if the adapter would work flawlessly, that is no problem. But none did so far... it's always some kind of compromise on the performance... that's first.

Else... look at that M5 and 24-70... The only reason to build a different non-EF-mount MILC would be to make it smaller... how ludicrous does that look on the photo? Handling is bad. One just needs a slightly larger camera than the current Sony MILCs and the M5, to me that is a fact (I have got big hands, and apart from that: Anyone carrying a 70-200 on the front end - no matter what hand size - would recon the suboptimal relation of camera and objective size).
So why change the mount in the first place? For very flat objective lenses like the 22 f/2 EF-M or the 40 mm f/2.8 / 24 mm f/2.8 you would get what you paid for. For larger primes or zoom lenses with f/2.8 aperture, you just buy yourself in a serious handling problem, that becomes even greater for EF-lenses with an adapter.

My view ~

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Over 10fps -> pleeeeease let it be a real professional camera. Not again one more toycamera... not a disgrace like a 6d II. If it would be a highend camera with video features from the 1dx II and photo features from the 5d iv, than I wouldn't give a damn about the price.
Just build a good and high end professional product, no more cheap toys, not the 100th model of the rebel or 4000d or watnot... please!

Upvote 0
Here's part of that Canon-to-Sony exodus I'm talking about. I needed 4k video and was waiting for the 6D II announcement. When I saw there was no 4K, I went out and bought a mirrorless Sony a6500. Not only does it shoot beautiful 4K videos, but I have been very impressed with it in several other aspects, especially for telephoto photography. The photo below is what I'm talking about. When they announced the Sony A7III, it has everything and more, that the 6D II should have had. It blows the 6D II in the weeds. I'm keeping my best Canon glass, but I'm pre-ordering the A7III (Full frame 4K, in camera image stabilization, fantastic HDR sensor, etc.)
uNlGlBGl.jpg

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
KirkD said:
Here's part of that Canon-to-Sony exodus I'm talking about. I needed 4k video and was waiting for the 6D II announcement. When I saw there was no 4K, I went out and bought a mirrorless Sony a6500. Not only does it shoot beautiful 4K videos, but I have been very impressed with it in several other aspects, especially for telephoto photography. The photo below is what I'm talking about. When they announced the Sony A7III, it has everything and more, that the 6D II should have had. It blows the 6D II in the weeds. I'm keeping my best Canon glass, but I'm pre-ordering the A7III (Full frame 4K, in camera image stabilization, fantastic HDR sensor, etc.)
uNlGlBGl.jpg

Wow. You're right. That is proof of a Canon to Sony exodus showing "hemorrhaging that is bordering on avalanche". If you've done it, there must be tens of thousands of others ::)

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
Wow. You're right. That is proof of a Canon to Sony exodus showing "hemorrhaging that is bordering on avalanche". If you've done it, there must be tens of thousands of others ::)
Yep. If a Canon fanatic (for 35 years) like me does something like this, then mere mortals who don't have a lot of accumulated expensive Canon glass in their arsenal must be abandoning ship by the tens of thousands, if not millions (perhaps even billions).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
KirkD said:
brad-man said:
Yep. If a Canon fanatic (for 35 years) like me does something like this, then mere mortals who don't have a lot of accumulated expensive Canon glass in their arsenal must be abandoning ship by the tens of thousands, if not millions (perhaps even billions).

No, it's just you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
KirkD said:
brad-man said:
Don't forget to deduct the good number, at least a billion, that switch back.

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/10/5-reasons-switched-back-canon-sony/

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
KirkD said:
brad-man said:
No, it's just you.
Give the dude some credit, at least he's got a sense of humor about it.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
KirkD said:
uNlGlBGl.jpg

I pity you. I have an A7RIII at the moment, and an adapted 100-400LII (as well as the native GMaster 100-400 lens).

On the telephoto end, the 100-400LII is about as awesome as autofocusing a Nikon D850 at 400mm f/5.6 in live view mode. It's god-awful slow in comparison to a 6DII or a native lens, half the time it hunts forever, and many of the advanced AF modes are just plain disabled.

You'll be happy to know that Eye AF works, but who uses that on a telephoto lens :) And good luck trying to shoot stuff moving either towards or away from you, because that 10 fps? You'll be lucky if you get 2 shots out of 10 that aren't blurry.

Frankly, I think it's unusable if your subject is moving faster than a turtle on pot. If you're really sold on the A7iii, just sell the 100-400LII and buy a GMaster -- which, by the way, is still far inferior in the initial subject acquisition in comparison to a 100-400LII on a 6D or 5D body. It's focus by wire, and by the time it takes to go from near to infinity, the subject is in a land far, far away.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
KirkD said:
brad-man said:

No, it's just you.

yea, they usual shite ... incessant ongoing personal attacks on anybody critical of Canon ... but it does not take away anything from the fact that other makers have gear that is better suited for many / many tasks ... and that many mirrorslpapper user have swithced and are switching to Sony FF MILCs ... and that every single sale of a Sony A7 / A9 could instead have been a sale for Canon ... had they been able to come up with fully competitive products to A7 series right from the start.

But, Canon is as infallible as they are innovative ... and they sell loads of gear. LOL

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
KirkD said:
brad-man said:

No, it's just you.

yea, they usual shite ... incessant ongoing personal attacks on anybody critical of Canon ... but it does not take away anything from the fact that other makers have gear that is better suited for many / many tasks ... and that many mirrorslpapper user have swithced and are switching to Sony FF MILCs ... and that every single sale of a Sony A7 / A9 could instead have been a sale for Canon ... had they been able to come up with fully competitive products to A7 series right from the start.

But, Canon is as infallible as they are innovative ... and they sell loads of gear. LOL

Clearly, there aren't billions of people switching from Canon to Sony. Nor is there just one, a statement which is just as ludicrous. I guess the subtle mimicry and humor were lost on you.

For most (if not all) manufacturers, the cost of capturing 'every single sale' is not worth the investment that would be required to do so. But since we've long established that you have the business acumen of a bowling ball, your statements to that effect just represent more of your usual shite. Canon is stupid and you know so much better than them how to make and sell cameras. ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Mikehit said:
Chaitanya said:
ByThom summarised presstitute behaviour nicely regarding sony's launches.

Does the mean Sony are really PIMPS (got the Press In My Pocket) ....?
Atleast the youtube reviewers seem to be PIMPs , all so called real world reviews done on a paid trip and under conditions that are controlled by Sony(Arizona trip for A7R III, NY trip for A9, and dont recall where A7 III trip was for these people and another paid trip to Thailand factory for A9 launch). When it comes to PC/IT reviews, youtube channels have decency to add paid promotion for video where some manufacturer provides them with free material. So even after getting paid trips, free gear and free shooting setups these PIMPs dont add paid promotion for their so called real world reviews

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
3kramd5 said:
Sharlin said:
1252 said:
I hope the new camera will not have a SLR hump, like Sony cameras!

You mean like the Sony a7 series? Or the a9? ::) ::) ::)

I don’t get the eye roll. Those are certainly the cameras from Sony which 1252 refers to as having an SLR hump.

I read 1252's comment like "I hope the new camera will not have a hump, like Sony cameras don't". Like AvTvM appears to have read, a few comments back. And indeed Sony cameras don't have one if you only count their non-fullframe hobbyist cameras...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sharlin said:
3kramd5 said:
Sharlin said:
1252 said:
I hope the new camera will not have a SLR hump, like Sony cameras!

You mean like the Sony a7 series? Or the a9? ::) ::) ::)

I don’t get the eye roll. Those are certainly the cameras from Sony which 1252 refers to as having an SLR hump.

I read 1252's comment like "I hope the new camera will not have a hump, like Sony cameras don't". Like AvTvM appears to have read, a few comments back. And indeed Sony cameras don't have one if you only count their non-fullframe hobbyist cameras...

It has to have an SLR hump. All real cameras have an SLR hump. Just look at the iPad camera... ;)

Attachments

• DFA25189-A2B8-41F6-880B-297FE8EE1DC7.jpeg
    DFA25189-A2B8-41F6-880B-297FE8EE1DC7.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0