A Prototype Full Frame Mirrorless From Canon Exists [CR1]

Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
sanj said:
But Canon has a blind, mass following and their products will sell.

Why do people who think they know better insist that many Canon purchasers are just "blind ...followers"?

YOU took the bait? Color me surprised.

Ditto...

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
blackcoffee17 said:
I simply don't believe Canon would develop a new mount and make it EF compatible with adaptor.
The EF line is too big and valuable to abandon and start new.

I simply don't believe that Canon would develop a new autofocus camera and make it incompatible with FD lenses. The FD line is too big and valuable to abandon and start new.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jolyonralph said:
blackcoffee17 said:
I simply don't believe Canon would develop a new mount and make it EF compatible with adaptor.

I simply don't believe that Canon would develop a new autofocus camera and make it incompatible with FD lenses. The FD line is too big and valuable to abandon and start new.

Automatic focus.

1-2 centimeters shorter.

One of those is significantly impactful for a vast majority of shooting situations. The other is not. Which do you think is which?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
blackcoffee17 said:

Automatic focus.

1-2 centimeters shorter.

One of those is significantly impactful for a vast majority of shooting situations. The other is not. Which do you think is which?

Well there are some situations where 2cm can make all the difference (so I've heard) ;)

Upvote 0
As an owner of a pair of Canon C100 cameras, I find the whole debate about not using EF mount lenses on a full frame Mirrorless pretty strange.

I know the C100 has a Super 35 size sensor, which is pretty close to APS-C and not full frame, but probably my favourite thing is being able to use all my existing EF mount lenses, with full compatibility and auto-focus. Gives me great ease of mind and made the upskilling a lot easier.

I'm in no rush to get a new stills camera, but the A7R III is the first one that meets every need, at a reasonable price. Even more so with the option to record the clean viewfinder as a feed into one of my Atomos Ninja Stars, whilst still taking stills.

If Canon create a FF mirrorless camera to match the A7R III with an EF mount, I'll definitely be getting it.

Upvote 0
They are so far behind Sony, that it will be a miracle if their FF mirrorless can stop the massive Canon-to-Sony hemorrhaging that is bordering on avalanche status since the announcement of the "basic" A7III. I'm cheering Canon on, but with pretty much zero expectations they will be able to catch up to Sony within the next two years.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
KirkD said:
They are so far behind Sony, that it will be a miracle if their FF mirrorless can stop the massive Canon-to-Sony hemorrhaging that is bordering on avalanche status since the announcement of the "basic" A7III. I'm cheering Canon on, but with pretty much zero expectations they will be able to catch up to Sony within the next two years.

Nice post. Completely divorced from reality, but nice nonetheless. Well done!

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
neogomo said:
Antono Refa said:
What would Canon gain from developing a completely new mount, in contrast to using EF with a shorter flange distance as done for EOS-M?

Interesting idea, didn’t think of that possibility to keep the EF-mount but with different flange distance. That would make a lot of sense. You can use your old Canon glass without adapter or with one to keep the field of view as used to. And many new lenses for the new shorter flange distance could also be sold.

Doing it that way could please almost anybody I think.

Unfortunately the change in flange distance with an identical mount will cause focus issues. Many lenses, especially wide angle lenses will be unable to focus as near as infinity without extension tubes. The best bet is for Canon to find some way to force users to mount EF lenses via a fixed length extension tube, and stop lenses designed for the short mirrorless flange distance from mounting on an EF mount camera to stop the opposite from happening (wide angle lenses being unable to focus as far away as the front element).

All of which sounds pretty similar to the concept of the extension tube which is the EF-M to EF adapter.

Upvote 0
The two things that put me off mirrorless are the expectation that the body must be tiny, even though lenses won't shrink, and the eye-strain of the EVFs I've tried.

So how about a 5DM to get the ball rolling? Compatibility, comfortable form factor and familiar ergonomics, with a high frequency EVF (or whatever it'll take to make it easier on the eye), with the added benefits of mirrorless. I could pick up and start using one of those today.

Upvote 0
pixel8foto said:
The two things that put me off mirrorless are the expectation that the body must be tiny, even though lenses won't shrink, and the eye-strain of the EVFs I've tried.

So how about a 5DM to get the ball rolling? Compatibility, comfortable form factor and familiar ergonomics, with a high frequency EVF (or whatever it'll take to make it easier on the eye), with the added benefits of mirrorless. I could pick up and start using one of those today.

This is the drum I've been beating for months. Using EF glass on my M5 with the adapter is far from the feeling of nice balance with the 5D IV.
If I had a say, I would strongly suggest to Canon they skip the short flange body design and go directly to a planform of the 6D or 5D series. Add a quality 4K package and they would have a winner.
Throw in a flippy screen and we're done! :)

Beastly

Canon EOS M5 with Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
blackcoffee17 said:

Yes, joyonralph, that's true. I am one of those who really would like to reuse my FD lenses on a full frame camera e.g. 4.0 17, 50mm macro, 1.4 50, 2.5 135 and without FD compatibility I will switch to SONY.

... o.k., that is not the main reason why I really want a shorter flange distance of the camera mount - I think there are better ways to do ultra IQ wide angles on mirrorless cameras because you can use the last millimeters in front of the sensor for glass to bend the light in some optimized way to get the best IQ possible. If the adapter fits nicely to the camera and can be locked to the camera by some mechanism I do not see a major difference between that solution and a native EF-mount. O.k., native EF makes more room inside the body but that is marginal IMO.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
KeithBreazeal said:
pixel8foto said:

This is the drum I've been beating for months. Using EF glass on my M5 with the adapter is far from the feeling of nice balance with the 5D IV.
If I had a say, I would strongly suggest to Canon they skip the short flange body design and go directly to a planform of the 6D or 5D series. Add a quality 4K package and they would have a winner.
Throw in a flippy screen and we're done! :)

Beastly

Canon EOS M5 with Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Which ever mount is used for Canon's FF MILC (and I expect there will be two), it is only logical that there will eventually be multiple body sizes/styles available. Initially I would expect a 6D2 body type with some 5D features. Ultimately, they will cram as much FF goodness as possible into the smallest body possible, as well as a 1D body style with all the 1D characteristics, with at least two or three models in between. In the meantime, please release the new EF-M 30-something prime...

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Orangutan said:
KirkD said:
the massive Canon-to-Sony hemorrhaging that is bordering on avalanche status since the announcement of the "basic" A7III.

I wasn't aware that sales figures were available yet...could you please link to the info?

Some of us have special cable packages that the rest of us can't get.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
KirkD said:

Yes, Canon is way behind Sony...except in color science.
Yes, Canon is way behind Sony...except in ergonomics.
Yes, Canon is way behind Sony...except in lens selection and quality.
Yes, Canon is way behind Sony...except in reliability.

Yes, I am cheering Sony on, but I doubt very much they will be able to catch up to Canon within the next two years.

Upvote 0