A Rundown of EOS 7D Mark II Information

bseitz234 said:
candyman said:
bseitz234 said:
man, if half of that spec list comes true, and the launch price is $2k or less, I'm going to have a hard time waiting for refurbs to show up...

With the few rumored specs here this may be top of the line camera with an APS-C sensor that will target semi-pro and pro. My expectation is that the price will be in the same league as the 5D MKIII at launch.

When it was launched, though, the original 7D was exactly that, was it not? And it was $1799? Not saying it couldn't be as much as the 5d3, just that I don't think it necessarily will. I'm certainly not counting on $2k, but I'll be disappointed if it's north of $2500. Time will tell!

A couple of things that have been leaked will likely send this camera into the 4K range:

EOS 1 build quality
EOS 1DX type features

Those two bits of info are far better than the 7D ever was and while it comes close to the 5D3, the EOS 1 build quality will definitely demand a premium. Consider this in the price range of the 1DIV with an inflation adjustment.

I'm guessing 3500 to 4200 for the body and leaning toward the upper end just because Canon will start out milking us for the R&D costs up front as they always do.

Upvote 0
Multi-layer with DPAF.

IF that is true, and
IF it really works, and
IF it represents the kind of major IQ improvement required to justify Canon's taking the major trouble of doing it....

And to take that further, into wild speculation territory...

That could be a setback for Sony trying to break into the serious/pro photography market. And if it is a hiccup for Sony, it would be pneumonia for Nikon, who depends on Sony sensors, and who seems to be struggling financially lately. If Sony goes some other direction in sensor development and quits innovating on 35mm stills sensors, it could be the beginning of the end for Nikon, who seems to have let its sensor development atrophy a bit while outsourcing that job to Sony.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
East Wind Photography said:
bseitz234 said:
candyman said:
bseitz234 said:
man, if half of that spec list comes true, and the launch price is $2k or less, I'm going to have a hard time waiting for refurbs to show up...

With the few rumored specs here this may be top of the line camera with an APS-C sensor that will target semi-pro and pro. My expectation is that the price will be in the same league as the 5D MKIII at launch.

When it was launched, though, the original 7D was exactly that, was it not? And it was $1799? Not saying it couldn't be as much as the 5d3, just that I don't think it necessarily will. I'm certainly not counting on $2k, but I'll be disappointed if it's north of $2500. Time will tell!

A couple of things that have been leaked will likely send this camera into the 4K range:

EOS 1 build quality
EOS 1DX type features

Those two bits of info are far better than the 7D ever was...

I would argue that the 7D had similar build quality and features to the 1DIII, which is what was out at the time the 7D was announced.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
bseitz234 said:
candyman said:
bseitz234 said:

EOS 1 build quality
EOS 1DX type features

Those two bits of info are far better than the 7D ever was...

I would argue that the 7D had similar build quality and features to the 1DIII, which is what was out at the time the 7D was announced.

No I dont agree that the 7D comes close to the 1DIII in build quality. There are fundamental differences in many areas which separate the two. Shutter and sealing are good examples.

Much of my cost basis is based on the fact that Canon has nothing in the EOS 1 lineup now other than the 1DX. There is a very large gap between the 7D and 1DX. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being called the 1D mark V.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Regarding the 'EOS 1 build quality', that's carefully phrased. It doesn't say '1DIV' or '1D X'. It's technically correct to say the 5DIII has 'EOS 1 weather sealing', since Canon called it equivalent to the EOS 1N film body (but that's not up to the level of the 1D X).

So Canon only has one EOS-1 series camera in their lineup now. If they say EOS-1 build quality it should be on "par" with the 1DX and not the 5DIII.

Upvote 0
I don't want to hear anything else until it includes 4K internal video recording, less moire and a headphone jack. Among other things.

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm going to sound like a jerk to some people by saying this) photo featues don't need anymore improvement. We've had awesome stills cameras for the last five years and if you can't take a good picture with one of those than you suck as a photographer. It is video functionality that Canon is seriously lacking behind on compared to its competitors.

The original 7D was the first of the Canon cames to features it's now standard video functionality that made its way into every other Canon camera. I expect the 7DmkII to usher in the new standard for Canon video functionality.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
bseitz234 said:
candyman said:
bseitz234 said:

Maybe...
I think that the 7D MK II (with those specs) will fill the gap that the 1D MK IV left. The 7D could not fill that gap and wasn't targeted for that. But the 7D MK II will outperform the 1D MK IV and is able to fille the gap. Those that are not able to afford the 7D MKII will go for 70D or the successor of the 70D. My personal believe is that this spec game of Canon is done to take photographers to the next higher performer camera as part of sales strategy. It happened at least with me going from 550D to 7D to 5D MKIII ;D

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
There is a very large gap between the 7D and 1DX. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being called the 1D mark V.

I'd be shocked if they released a body with the 1-series name on it with an APS-c sensor inside.

It's not a follow-on to the 7D if it's two or three times the price.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
candyman said:
I think that the 7D MK II (with those specs) will fill the gap that the 1D MK IV left. The 7D could not fill that gap and wasn't targeted for that. But the 7D MK II will outperform the 1D MK IV and is able to fille the gap. Those that are not able to afford the 7D MKII will go for 70D or the successor of the 70D. My personal believe is that this spec game of Canon is done to take photographers to the next higher performer camera as part of sales strategy. It happened at least with me going from 550D to 7D to 5D MKIII ;D

If they price it too high, then a lot of people that have been waiting for it will go buy a 70D instead.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Regarding the 'EOS 1 build quality', that's carefully phrased. It doesn't say '1DIV' or '1D X'. It's technically correct to say the 5DIII has 'EOS 1 weather sealing', since Canon called it equivalent to the EOS 1N film body (but that's not up to the level of the 1D X).

So Canon only has one EOS-1 series camera in their lineup now. If they say EOS-1 build quality it should be on "par" with the 1DX and not the 5DIII.

What makes you think Canon (officially) said, "EOS-1 build quality"? Even if they did, 'EOS-1' is a generic statement, not a specific model designation. If this turns out to be a $3999 EOS 1D Mark V, it'll have build quality equivalent to the 1D X. If it's a 7D Mark II, it won't.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
candyman said:

If they price it too high, then a lot of people that have been waiting for it will go buy a 70D instead.

Sounds like an excellent marketing strategy to me. ;)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
neuroanatomist said:

What makes you think Canon (officially) said, "EOS-1 build quality"? Even if they did, 'EOS-1' is a generic statement, not a specific model designation. If this turns out to be a $3999 EOS 1D Mark V, it'll have build quality equivalent to the 1D X. If it's a 7D Mark II, it won't.

Canon hasn't said squat. However that is the rumor, that it will have EOS1 build quality. We can read into that a lot of things.

From CR:

"A good source tells us that the new camera will have EOS-1 build quality, which we expected."

Regardless, I expect Canon to drain my bank account just like they always do. Something they are very very good at!

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Regardless, I expect Canon to drain my bank account just like they always do. Something they are very very good at!

You think?

I'm still using my 10-year-old and 9-year-old Canon dSLRs because none of the updates since have been particularly interesting. I have several friends with Canon dSLRs, and they are similar. One is still using his 40D, one is still using his Rebel XT, one is still using his T3i. I'm still using a 20D, 5D and a T2i at work. I've watched every Canon release carefully in the last 10+ years.

Upvote 0