A size comparison between the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS and RF 28-70mm f/2L

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Rumors reader Ivan sent in a mockup that shows the size difference between the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS and the revolutionary RF 28-70 f/2L. The latter is definitely going to be a big lens, but maybe not as big as we originally thought.
The Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS has the following measurements:

Size: Approximately 83mm (3.26 inches) x 107mm (4.2 inches)

Compared to the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II 83mm (3.26 inches) x 118mm (4.64 inches)

Weight: Approximately 698g (1.5lbs)

Compared to the EF 105mm f/4L IS II 795g (1.75lbs)

As with any mockup such as this, it may not be 100% accurate.

RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM & RF 28-70mm f/2L USM Size Comparison // Click for larger

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Wonder if it has image stablisation or is image stablisation built into the body?

I don't see any IS markings on the lenses, so we're hoping that the EOS R has IBIS, but we haven't seen confirmation of that yet. I could understand the argument of the RF 28-70mm f/2 not having IS, but not the RF 24-105mm f/4L.

Upvote 0
Here's what I think;

Canon never pours all the good candy in the same bowl. The EOS R we've just heard about will be an "entry-to-medium level" 6D-type of camera with up-to-date specs but with no IBIS. This so that they can lower the cost and price it accordingly. They bundle it with the 24-105 IS and 35 1.8 IS in order to compensate for the missing IBIS. Future RF lenses aimed at this body will likely include IS.

On step up and we are in L-territory. The 28-70/2 and 50L do not have IS since it would make them even bigger (especially 28-70). These lenses are most likely designed with another body in mind. In fact...I think it will look extremely strange...plain wrong to put that f/2 zoom on the little EOS-R. I am sure Canon has something else in store. A more professional ML with joystick AF, dual-card slots, higher resolution and of course...IBIS.

This might be a surprise for the 5th release or something they will mention as an upcoming model down the road.

I don't see any IS markings on the lenses, so we're hoping that the EOS R has IBIS, but we haven't seen confirmation of that yet. I could understand the argument of the RF 28-70mm f/2 not having IS, but not the RF 24-105mm f/4L.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Stopped by SAR. The people who recently hailed the tamron 28-75/2.8 as revolutionary and saying that 4mm difference to the 24-70/2.8 doesn't matter are now saying the 28-70/2 does not go wide enough
1f602.svg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2016
Here's what I think;

Canon never pours all the good candy in the same bowl. The EOS R we've just heard about will be an "entry-to-medium level" 6D-type of camera with up-to-date specs but with no IBIS. This so that they can lower the cost and price it accordingly. They bundle it with the 24-105 IS and 35 1.8 IS in order to compensate for the missing IBIS. Future RF lenses aimed at this body will likely include IS.

On step up and we are in L-territory. The 28-70/2 and 50L do not have IS since it would make them even bigger (especially 28-70). These lenses are most likely designed with another body in mind. In fact...I think it will look extremely strange...plain wrong to put that f/2 zoom on the little EOS-R. I am sure Canon has something else in store. A more professional ML with joystick AF, dual-card slots, higher resolution and of course...IBIS.

This might be a surprise for the 5th release or something they will mention as an upcoming model down the road.

I completely agree. It's a soft opening for Canon FF mirrorless market. Once they release their professional 5D like body, I'm sure they will add another batch of lens. That is the camera that will turn head.

BTW, with Canon having 70-130 f2 patent, I can see them remaking a trinity lens 14-28 F2, 28-70 F2, 70-130 F2 ***DROOOL****

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Here is another view. Sized everything based on the lens mount size. Note that the RF 35 mm F 1.8 Macro IS STM seems to have a rubber ring on the mount that the others don't seem to have.View attachment 180055

Nice comparison! Thank you for adding it. To be honest, that 50L seemed very tempting, but it’s size is a bit off putting to me. It seems bigger than the EF 50L, which measures 85,8 x 65,5mm. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Here's what I think;

Quess you are right, but my worries is, that a High-end 5D / 1D "ish" R-series will still need an adaptor to mount EF lenses.
So are EF lenses a dead along with DSLR's 10 years from now? That will be sad, and bad news for a lot of EF lens owners.

I still hope that Canon will make a ML/ILC with native EF mount

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Hi there, nobody seemed to notice yet that new lenses have 1 extra ring, that reminds the one on the "control adapter" most likely delivery "control functions" while shooting with EF lenses. Any ideas on what the "control functions" could be?
On my Powershot S100 I can assign one from 7 or 8 functions, depending on the mode, to a similar ring.

Upvote 0
Nice comparison! Thank you for adding it. To be honest, that 50L seemed very tempting, but it’s size is a bit off putting to me. It seems bigger than the EF 50L, which measures 85,8 x 65,5mm. I hope I am wrong.

I'll say those leaked sizes seemed off to me. I matched them up visually by the size of the mount first and then tried to extrapolate the size of the 28-70mm from the scale of the others and it was off from the listed lengths.

Upvote 0
Hi there, nobody seemed to notice yet that new lenses have 1 extra ring, that reminds the one on the "control adapter" most likely delivery "control functions" while shooting with EF lenses. Any ideas on what the "control functions" could be?

I'm guessing maybe it's a multi function ring so can assign lots of different functions sort of like the M-Fn button. If so, that's really cool.

Upvote 0