ac power/battery adapter - for 1 series cameras

Sep 29, 2012
when I sold my 1D mk III yrs ago...I forgot to include the ac adapter...I never used it....
and the guy didn't ask for it...
so ...later I thought if I get a 1D mk Iv I can use it there...
because 1D III was the las model it was included with...
so it was an option for 1D Iv... also .. for 1Dx I, and 1Dx II
(I never got the 1D Iv...settled for 5D3...liked smaller...)
and 1DX ...
so now I have skipped two gens of 1 D series..
today I took it to the photo store and made sure it worked...and worked with 1 D Iv ..
ok... so would the mk III batteries.. they are compatible up to todaqy's 1Dx II....
but slight diff affects on performance etc..

so...
no one knew the answer for sure... and I asked to have it officially asked of Canon ...from the store..

" can I use the 1D III a/c power adapter on the 1Dx mk II?"

///////////

does anyone know for sure...or what canon's position on it is..???

I do understand the 1Dx II has newer...more powerful battery...but that all the ?...1D3 onward batteries will 'fit' and work..
just want to verify the ac thing

also what happens to warranty if I do (admit to doing) this?...

I likely will never use it..
just want to know

thanks ...if you know...or where to go to findout...

Sep 29, 2012
mt spokane..
thanks... for helping..
yes I knew that about the batteries...

just wondering
1. if someone had used the ac adapter with 1dx for example..
and
2. if anyone had some insight or actual comm with canon on using the adapter for the latest bodies...

I am not even sure what the accessory numbers for 1DIV and 1Dx are ...for the ac adapters...
is it similar to the 1DIII (included) accessory a/c adapter?

I still have a request for official comment from Canon RE: affect on warranty/recommendation...
(good luck on this...I am sure...the IRS also does not like to issue statements ...that fully answer questions...haha)

if I get any more info...I will post here..

TOM

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon specifies the same AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4 for 1D MK III, 1D MK IV, 1DX. They do not even update the part description, which says 1D MK III.

They have a different part for the 1DX II, and since they are not yet shipping, no one can test it.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
mt spokane

thanks....again....
that says a lot.... 1DIII part on that link....for the 1Dx mark I ....

I am close enough to ...just wait for the 1Dx2 now... and see what is listed as the accessory part number

/////

I am looking fwd to having a 1D body again....

/////

sold my sigma 35 f1.4 which was very very good no micro adjust...
and will pickup the 35mm f1.4L mk II with the body...

primes will be 14L II, 35L II, 85L II, 100L macro

I heard a hint.. from someone... who might know..
that the body MIGHT get here by end of march.. or 1st week April...

couple that with the rumors that they have inventory to cover the first pre-order wave..

makes me think it COULD come 'early'...

TOM

Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
The original series adaptors worked will all 1D models up to the 1DX without any issues or restrictions. I regularly use the adaptor with my 1DX.

However, when I was reading the manual for the 1DX11, using the older adaptor, there is a reduced frame rate.
See pg 148

Also the price of the adaptor is crazy. The current one is $95.00, the new one is $650.00 (AC-E19 + DR-E19)

Attachments

• 1DX-II adaptors.jpg
    1DX-II adaptors.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Is best to send an email to Canon and ask. They know best.

Not directly related to your question but when I asked them about using the 1DX Mark I battery in a 1DX Mark II they told me this:

For the battery, LP-E19 could work on EOS-1DX but the old charger LC-E4N could not charge LP-E19.

LP-E4N could work on EOS-1DX MKII, but could not be up to 16 pictures/sec

BTW - the charger was included when I bought the 1DX, it was not an option (your first post).

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
expatinasia

yes I was digging thru the 1dx2 manual... and saw the thing you describe...
the older batteries work... but new charger cant charge old batteries..
so the charger gets modern.. and ...tolerates old bateries...which have a littleless ability..

I was talking about the ac adapter as option ...not chargers...I think...

thanks..
I think a letter FrOM them will be a warranty protection...for me
.. if they say I can use old a/c for house power...

thanks so much for helping....

TOM

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
So the page from the D1X II shows that the adapter does not supply enough current for the high FPS. Since its likely that when connected to AC that a user would be in a studio, having 8 rather than 14 FPS would not be a big hit.

Battery life on my 5D MK III is good enough for me to use it tethered with live view and just change the battery after two or three sessions. I used my AC adapter for earlier DSLR's like my 5D MK II.

Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
It is a big problem for me. I currently use my power adaptor quite often on my 1DX. I use it for indoor sports where I am in a static environment, as well as in the studio. I also use it if I am using the camera as a B camera for video.

But the reduced frame rate for sports is a big disappointment for me considering the CN$850 price for an AC adaptor.

Upvote 0