Adobe Apologizes for Bugs in Lightroom Classic CC, Releases Update

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The “massive update” to Adobe Lightroom Classic CC released earlier this month came with a lot of bugs that made a lot of the photography community quite angry, especially considering people are now paying monthly for the software.</p>
<p>We’ve had a lot of comments and questions from readers about Lightroom Classic CC and if there are any other options for software. We generally shy away from making recommendations like this, but it’s inexcusable that Lightroom would suffer from the types of bugs it has after so many years of development.</p>
<p><strong>From Adobe:</strong></p>
<p>“We heard your feedback and felt that parts of the release didn’t uphold the level of quality that we hold ourselves to. We’re happy to report that these issues were resolved and now available for immediate download. Some of the issues resolved included converting presets, sorting and copying/pasting profiles, translation errors, along with crash fixes.”</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>Bug Fixes:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>An issue where some presets were not converting to the new format.</li>
<li>An issue with B&W legacy presets where the profile resets to Adobe Standard</li>
<li>An issue where Develop presets were not sorting correctly</li>
<li>Translation errors in other languages for some profiles</li>
<li>An issue where users were unable to copy/sync Black and White Mix settings</li>
<li>Lightroom backup catalog error issues.
<ul>
<li><strong>Note: </strong>To resolve corruption issue in the backed up catalogs, update to Lightroom Classic CC v7.3.1 and then back up your catalogs again. <em>If you’re backing up your catalogs on macOS, see this known issue related to catalog compression below.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Known Issue on macOS only: When backing up your catalogs on macOS, Lightroom Classic doesn’t compress (zip) catalogs that have a file size less than 4 GB. As a workaround to this issue, manually compress the backed up catalog files. Compressed files take up less hard disk space. By default, Lightroom Classic saves backed up catalogs to the following location on macOS:
<ul>
<li><em>/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/[catalog name]/Backups</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p>You can read more about the update <a href="https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html#lr-classic-cc-7-3-1">at Adobe</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Give On1 RAW a look (free 30 day trial)....I think I"m about to call it my LR replacement, as I'm migrating to it.

They've just added a great workflow for importing images in, which I liked in LR, renaming, and copying to work directory AND to my NAS for backup at same time.

And the masking within the RAW workflow...is truly amazing.

There's some tidbits here and there they need to work on, one being it doesn't appear they have history set up to view and be able to go back and forth on.

However, so far, they've been putting forth free updates this year and I hear another one is coming this Summer timeframe.

The price is right, they seem to be actively working on things with new features and catching up to LR on the few things they are missing.

It isn't rental....which is nice too, and you don't have someone shoving an update on you which can disrupt you like Adobe has done a few times to date....

I'd say it is worth taking a look at....30 days free to try.

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0
BeenThere said:
Disappointing that Adobe’s quality control process has failed. The company seems to be losing it’s grip on photography software.

I doubt there is any quality control for Lightroom. They let customers do their QA and fix only those bugs which are affecting significant percentage of customers.

I have older AMD graphic card. Since upgrading to LR Classic CC, development module works only occasionally. Very often I get just a black screen and have to restart the application. Advice from Adobe community - turn off graphic card acceleration for LR and enjoy even slower performance. Response from Adobe to the bug - none.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ladislav said:
BeenThere said:
Disappointing that Adobe’s quality control process has failed. The company seems to be losing it’s grip on photography software.

I doubt there is any quality control for Lightroom. They let customers do their QA and fix only those bugs which are affecting significant percentage of customers.

I have older AMD graphic card. Since upgrading to LR Classic CC, development module works only occasionally. Very often I get just a black screen and have to restart the application. Advice from Adobe community - turn off graphic card acceleration for LR and enjoy even slower performance. Response from Adobe to the bug - none.

On the PC that I like to use LR, I have a 3 year old NVidia. There are weird bugs since the last update for me, too, though none crash the system. There is some image caching going on, such that when I go to crop, it shows up an old image for a little while, and it's very jarring. Also, performance actually went down.

I turned off the GPU acceleration, and LR is actually faster than it was before this last patch (I think).

Then again, I have no idea how the 3D video card can be helpful in LR. In the past, I couldn't really see any noticeable gain by turning GPU acceleration on. Ironically, the latest patch fixed the GPU weirdness. But.... It doesn't feel any faster than with GPU acceleration turned off, so who knows. LOL. ::)

Upvote 0
Ladislav said:
BeenThere said:

With the brand new LR 6 I got exactly that on my old mbp. When LR 6.x was released a week later my gpu was no longer supported. And it was excruciatingly slow.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Talys said:
Ladislav said:
BeenThere said:

On the PC that I like to use LR, I have a 3 year old NVidia. There are weird bugs since the last update for me, too, though none crash the system. There is some image caching going on, such that when I go to crop, it shows up an old image for a little while, and it's very jarring. Also, performance actually went down.

I turned off the GPU acceleration, and LR is actually faster than it was before this last patch (I think).

Then again, I have no idea how the 3D video card can be helpful in LR. In the past, I couldn't really see any noticeable gain by turning GPU acceleration on. Ironically, the latest patch fixed the GPU weirdness. But.... It doesn't feel any faster than with GPU acceleration turned off, so who knows. LOL. ::)

Ha! Exactly the same with my gtx 1070 ti!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
YuengLinger said:
Talys said:
Ladislav said:
BeenThere said:

It probably depends on your graphics card. I can see a high end card making a difference, and a low end (or older) card making very little to none...... and even with a high end card, the difference only showing up when you do bulk operations.

Having a fast SS hard drive probably matters a lot more......

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
YuengLinger said:
Talys said:
Ladislav said:
BeenThere said:

It probably depends on your graphics card. I can see a high end card making a difference, and a low end (or older) card making very little to none...... and even with a high end card, the difference only showing up when you do bulk operations.

Having a fast SS hard drive probably matters a lot more......

The NVidia 980ti (mine) and YeunLinger's 1070ti are flagship/near-flagship models that were near a thousand bucks a pop at launch :(

Having a discrete graphics card seems to help, but whether it's a $150 one or a $1,500 one doesn't seem to matter =X It certainly is not like gaming, where there graphics card is everything.

I own a nVidia 1080 in my gaming computer, but that is attached to smaller, fast-refresh monitors, and isn't the ideal setup for photoshop and software development work. When I first put it together, I tried to install PS/LR on it, just to check out the speed of PS on large files and LR generally, and I was unimpressed -- any improved speed in the 2017 PC over my 2015 PC was marginal at best. The things that are slow still feel laggy, and the things which are responsive were already fast enough.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
The NVidia 980ti (mine) and YeunLinger's 1070ti are flagship/near-flagship models that were near a thousand bucks a pop at launch :(

Having a discrete graphics card seems to help, but whether it's a $150 one or a $1,500 one doesn't seem to matter =X It certainly is not like gaming, where there graphics card is everything.

I own a nVidia 1080 in my gaming computer, but that is attached to smaller, fast-refresh monitors, and isn't the ideal setup for photoshop and software development work. When I first put it together, I tried to install PS/LR on it, just to check out the speed of PS on large files and LR generally, and I was unimpressed -- any improved speed in the 2017 PC over my 2015 PC was marginal at best. The things that are slow still feel laggy, and the things which are responsive were already fast enough.

I can't even try GPU acceleration. I built my PC in 2013, and the video card that I got at the time was good but not top of the line. When Adobe LR first used GPU acceleration, LR would crash every few minutes. Even though my card was listed to be compatible with LR GPU acceleration at the time, I could never get it to work properly, so I just disabled the feature, and it's been off for years. Looking forward to building a new PC later this year that will bring me back to state-of-the-art standards/components. My computer definitely became less stable at the end of last year, after hardware vulnerabilities were discovered and I assumed patched through software...

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Random Orbits said:
I can't even try GPU acceleration. I built my PC in 2013, and the video card that I got at the time was good but not top of the line. When Adobe LR first used GPU acceleration, LR would crash every few minutes. Even though my card was listed to be compatible with LR GPU acceleration at the time, I could never get it to work properly, so I just disabled the feature, and it's been off for years. Looking forward to building a new PC later this year that will bring me back to state-of-the-art standards/components. My computer definitely became less stable at the end of last year, after hardware vulnerabilities were discovered and I assumed patched through software...

If it makes you feel any better, you're probably not missing out on anything. Well, other than losing 5 hours trying to figure out if it is actually any faster and then 5 more hours trying to figure out if it's worth all the weird crap that happens before unchecking the box ;D

Upvote 0
Talys said:

It is not using 3D capability. It is using processing power of modern GPUs and computes some tools / effects on GPU instead of CPU. Just quick search came with this result about what is supposedly accelerated and what is not.
https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

I previously read that GPU acceleration really matters only on 4k+ screens but at the same time many people are complaining that after turning it off some operations became terribly slow even without 4k screen - for example zooming in development module. That probably depends on the CPU processing power - especially single core processing power.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Perhaps a genuine expression of goodwill from Adobe would be a new version that allows use of the editing software without any catalog. The scariest of the recent bugs is the catalog corruption.

What does deserve loathing, in my opinion, is Adobe's implied impending termination of "allowing" images to be stored locally on a user's desktop. Naming the desktop/laptop version of Lightroom "Classic," seems a shot across the bow, suggesting those of us who don't want to use cloud storage are anachronisms.

I'm ok with a subscription based payment scheme. Fine. But pressuring photographers to move images to the cloud or see an end to functionality and upgrades would be a bridge too far. I don't understand what motive, other than keeping cloud stored files as hostages, a company could have for heading in such a direction.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Expect this to be a problem of the subscription model for a while. Companies feel the need to release something to justify the model, and also to skimp on QA to save money - more frequent releases usually *increase* QA needs.

You see this effect outside Adobe as well. There is a reason, for example, why Microsoft releases new upgrades to Windows 10 to determined group of users first and others later.

My advice is not to run to install the latest update, unless you know it fixes a blocking issue for you. Wait for a while to see what issues are found.

Upvote 0